Saturday, October 3, 2009

October Weekend

Weekends like this one remind me why I love the month of October so much!


It was absolutely gorgeous here! The whole weekend was perfect....nothing much to do and lots of relaxing down time.

Friday night Steve and I went to dinner, then came home and watched a movie in our pajamas. I never can stay awake through a whole movie on Friday nights though. I ALWAYS fall asleep. I'm sooooo tired on Friday nights!

This weekend I made three of my favorite fall recipes...

Spicy Chicken Vegetable Soup (I'll put this recipe at the bottom of this post.)
Russian Tea, and
Apple Dumplings

I have already posted these last two recipes before, so I won't post them again, but I promise you would love any of them!

This is my Donny and Marie mug that I drink my Russian Tea out of.


(My kids make fun of me, but I love this mug. My parents got it for me!) By the way...ya'll know I was the biggest Donny Osmond fan ever when I was growing up, right? So I am having so much fun watching him on Dancing With The Stars.


He does pretty well for an old man! haha

Yesterday I got some cleaning done and I got all caught up on my laundry, then last night we grilled steaks over at Steve's parents' house. Ashley brought Bailey and Brooklyn over for a little while since she was babysitting them.


Today was church. One of the sweet little girls who was in my class last year got baptized this morning. I love seeing that! And then this afternoon Ashley and I did a little fall shopping. We got some cute boots, dresses, necklaces, sweaters, and a few other little things for Steve's birthday this week!

Have you ever heard of the reality show on CMT called The World's Strictest Parents?


This is the premise of the show:

CMT documents the journey of two unruly teens from different families as they are forced to adapt to the rules and regulations of very strict host parents. Living under different standards from their families back home, the misbehaving teens will be subject to punishment for breaking rules and skipping chores while the strict parents attempt to mend their ways.

Well, my brother, Blake and his wife Angie were chosen for this show!


They are supposed to be filmed sometime very soon and the show should air in November. It is really kind of funny because they are two of the most down-to-earth and understanding parents around. They have four great kids of their own and all the kids have a great relationship with Blake and Angie! In fact, this is a sweet little note their daughter Brianna left for them last time she was home from college....


But Blake is a pastor and they do alot with the youth group at their church so I think the slant of the show is going to be a little different with them. I think Blake and Angie want to try and show how the most important thing when raising teenagers is to have good communication and have a good relationship with your kids if you really want to help them stay on track through life. Maybe they can really help turn some teenagers lives around??? They are excited about it! I will let you know when the show is airing!

Okay...here is the recipe for Spicy Chicken Vegetable Soup!

4-5 chicken breasts, boiled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 jars chunky style spaghetti sauce
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes
1 large can Veg-All
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cans chicken broth

Boil and chop chicken. In a large pot, sautee onion and garlic in about a tablespoon of olive oil until onion is translucent. Add chicken back in and then add all of the other ingredients. Bring to a boil, then turn down low until potatoes are done. Enjoy!


(I make mine with Mexican cornbread! Mmmmm!!)

12 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, I can not wait to try this recipe and Mexican cornbread is just icing on the cake! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those recipes look delicious. I can't wait to try them. Thanks for sharing. I am also a teacher. I am exhausted on Friday nights, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally loved Donny and Marie too! I watched their show and my parents took my sister and I to one of Donny's concert. I still remember it. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. love awesome fall weekends!! Love donny and marie and that recipe looks so good!! How fun for your brother and his wife I wish I had cmt!! Sounds ike things are going good!!! ttys

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that show:)!

    I have noticed that most of the teenagers are from out west and most of the parents are from the south...hmm?!

    I can't believe how close the wedding is :)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting for your brother and his family! I actually watch that show! Can't wait to see it. We'll be praying for them all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to try that recipe right away!

    Not being able to stay awake for a Friday night movie must be a teacher thing because I always konk out mid-movie... if I even get that far! Chris always pokes fun at me because he says I always fall alseep! :-0

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watch WSP!!! I especially like watching it with 13 year old son!!! Just a great lesson on how different everyone is!!!! Keep us posted on when it's going to air!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be sure to let us know when your brother is going to be on. How fun!!!

    You must be really busy this week...no updates! Sure have missed reading abut your family!

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH, I'm so excited about your Brother and his wife being on that show!!! PLEASE let us know when to watch!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That recipe looks delcious! I'm definitely trying it! That is so neat that your brother and his wife get to be on the WSP show!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love that show on CMT! That is so neat your family was picked!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)