Sunday, August 30, 2009

What's Been Going On...

So much has been going on over the last week, I am really just now getting around to catching up on my blogging. This week has kept us all very busy. Steve was out of town just about every day. I think he planned it that way so he would stay busy and not have a lot of time to think about missing Laura and Lindy. And Ashley and I have had so much going on with school. Every day we both worked late and went to bed exhausted. But we both love our classes!! When I got back to school, it seemed like I was just there. I have a very sweet group of second graders and I am looking forward to a fun year with them!

I cleaned up Laura and Lindy's rooms this week and I think I am finally getting a little bit used to them being empty. We have had fun skyping with them this week. Laura and Mark are coming home next weekend for Labor Day! Yay! Lindy has a home football game and it is a little farther for her to drive, so she won't get to come. :(

This weekend was nice. Friday night, Steve went to the Fantasy Football draft for one of the leagues he is on. He is doing two this year!


The draft was held at the Whitewater Center here in Charlotte. You can go whitewater rafting there, so all the guys did that first. It was a fun night. Since he was busy, Ashley and I met at Thai Taste for dinner and then she went to John's and I just hung out here watching movies. That was a great Friday night to me...especially after a busy week.

Yesterday, I don't know if I was just tired or maybe coming down with a cold, but I didn't feel very good. Most of the day we just hung around the house. We did go to lunch for Steve's brother, Mike's birthday. Then we went to his parents' house and had dessert and sat on their porch and visited. I took a nap yesterday afternoon and spent some time on my porch reading Paula Deen's book. Have you read this??


I've had it forever, but have just now gotten around to reading it. I just love her, so I have enjoyed hearing her whole story!

Last night we watched the Panthers play a pre-season game. It was disappointing. I hope they do better once the real season gets here! I am so excited about football season. It is supposed to be cool here this week so I know that is going to get me in the mood for fall! :) I made some banana bread this week and when I took a bite of it while it was still warm out of the oven, it reminded me of fall!


Here is my recipe that is super easy and a good way to get rid of your over-ripe bananas...

Banana Bread

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
2 c. flour
1 t. vanilla
1/4 c. milk
1 t. soda
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 c. chopped nuts (optional)
1 stick margarine, melted

Combine all ingredients in order listed, mixing well. Pour into ungreased loaf pan. Bake at 325 for 1 hour. Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes before removing. Enjoy!


Today my brother Blake came to speak to our Sunday School class. He is such a great preacher/speaker. The class really enjoyed having him there. After church we went to Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch. It has been a long time since our whole family (minus the college kids) has gotten together, so we had fun catching up.


Here is Blake with Bailey...


Angie snuggling with Brooklyn. She is just like a little cuddly China doll!


Ashley and John


Steve and me....


My three nephews, Bryson, Brett, and Brad...


It's hard to believe the weekend is over and it's time to start the week again. Wow...the weekends sure do fly by, don't they?? The high tomorrow is supposed to be 70!!! I can't wait! Hope you have a great week! :)

7 comments:

Heather said...

I just love Paula too!! I have not read her book, I am going to have to go get it! You have been super busy!! Love the pictures and thanks for the recipe, yummy!

Jacquie said...

So glad your school year is off to a great start.

Brooklynn is adorable!!!!

Have a fun week.

petrii said...

Betsy,
That bread looks delish!! I may just try that out today, as I have some bananas laying around looking like they might be too ripe for my likings soon =)

Have a Blessed week,
Dawn

PS How are the wedding plans coming? The wedding is November right?!!

Megan L Hutchings said...

The muffin story was HILARIOUS :)!!!!

I hope that this week is a little less hectic. The nice thing is that you have quiet nights with Steve to look forward to.

Love Being a Nonny said...

Your life continues to be as mine USE TO BE. I get tired just reading it!! Glad you have had a great start to a new school year.

Meagan said...

Girl! I know how busy it can be!! This weekend went by in the blink of an eye!

I am so pumed for football season too! The Titans haven't looked as great as I would like in the preseason, but even that can't get me down! It was unseasonably cool this morning and it made me look forward to Fall so much!!

I hope you have a wonderful week with your kids!!!

Whitney said...

So sorry you miss your sweet girls! :( 2nd grade is the best... I taught it for 4 years! Paul is great... not afraid to add butter and sugar to her food! Ha!