Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tuesday Update

Tonight I am sitting on my porch listening to an extremely LOUD thunderstorm. Goodness the thunder is just rocking our world over here. But I love that I can actually sit outside during a storm with the rain all around me and yet I'm safe and dry!


I am, however, considering calling up the Dog Whisperer to come talk some sense into Rocky. He has been freaking out for about an hour now!!

A few updates...the laziness has continued over the past few days. I wish I could work a little, then be lazy a little, then work a little more, then be lazy a little more. Unfortunately, once school starts I won't get to be lazy again for a very long time. :(


Also, still no word on Ashley's job. Today she said she was going to do "teacher-y" things in hopes of getting some positive vibes her way. She said she was going to buy some newly sharpened pencils and eat an apple and take my niece Bailey on a field trip. Haha!


She did take Bailey to Discovery Place, but unfortunately, it didn't change anything. :(

And, I have been connecting with SO many friends on facebook that I seriously haven't talked to since I was about 8 years old. I lived in Nashville, Tennessee at the time and went to Two Rivers Baptist Church and just this week, I have had about six people "friend me" who I knew back then! How fun is that???! I just love re-connecting with friends from my childhood. It reminds me of the sweet friends God has blessed me with through the years...some I haven't even thought about in forever! But when I see their name and friendship request, I get so excited to catch up with them! I have LOVED being on facebook!!


I watched the Bachelorette last night at my neighbor's house. I haven't really watched it much this season, but I've watched it enough to know I wasn't pulling for Ed! No thank you. I hope she is happy with her choice!


Ashley's boyfriend's mom sent me some homegrown tomatoes from her garden this week and they have been soooo good. I have made BLT's with them for the past two days! I used turkey bacon this time and it was every bit as good and not as greasy as regular bacon! I would highly recommend it.


Tonight I fixed oven fried chicken and mashed potatoes and lots of veggies. I also made one of our favorites...broccoli cornbread.


I had this for the first time when we were visiting Steve's family down in Mississippi and loved it. It is in his family cookbook now, so that's where I got the recipe. I thought I would share it with you!

Broccoli Cornbread

10 oz. chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick margarine
6 oz. sour cream
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix

Mix all ingredients together. Pour into a buttered 9x13 Pyrex dish or iron skillet. Cook at 400 until lightly brown. Serve hot.


I hope you are having a good week! :)

9 comments:

Heather said...

Ok, I so wish I was sitting on your front porch with you! I love a good thunderstorm! So relaxing, unless there is a tornado warning! THat sandwich!! OH that sandwich, I want to jump through the screen and eat it! HA! I love broccoli and cornbread, so this recipe is must try for me! Thanks!

Melissa said...

MMMMMM, I'm totally craving a BLT now! I love homegrown tomatoes!

Lana said...

That sandwich looks delicious! I love Facebook, too! It's such a great way to stay connected to people! I feel the same way about The Bachelorette! I missed the last two weeks with everything I've had going on, but I wasn't really "rooting" for Ed! I felt bad for Kiptyn & Reid! I hope Ashley hears something soon! Keeping my fingers crossed for her!

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

I'm like you, there is just something about a storm that I love...not the destruction one might cause, but I think the magnitude of it and it's all a God thing!!
I love tomato sandwiches!! But I have never had it on toasted bread...that would be a first for me.
And I thought that was cute what Ashley decided to do to feel "teachery"...it will work out for her, I'm sure!

~Beth

Jacquie said...

We had a big thunderstorm last night too. And our weather continues to be unseasonably cool! Yay!

Your sandwich looks so good!! We have tons of garden tomatoes, I may have to make one for myself.

I actually liked Ed, until the last several episodes, when Reid became my front runner. REALLY like Reid. I felt so bad for him on the finale.

Still praying for Ashley!

Meagan said...

Gosh I saw that picture of Broccoli cornbread and knew I was going to have to ask you for the recipe and then I scrolled down and you beat me to it! :-) I can't wait to try it!

I didn't knwo you lived in Nashville at one time!!! That's neat! I am glad you are reconnecting with some old friends... you need to reconnect yourself right back over here to Tennessee for a visit! :-)

Christal said...

yum to the pics! I so wish I was sitting with you on your porch too thats looks like an awesome downpour we had one this morning for like 60 seconds! I love your summery posts you are so fun!!! keep having fun!! ttys

Laurie said...

Betsy-
Thank you for your sweet comments lately. You have a beautiful family. That sounds so fun to sit on the back porch and listen to a thunderstorm.

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

Betsy, saw over at Ginger's blog that Ashley got a job! How Great!!

So happy for her and y'all!

~Beth