Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Trip To The Far East

Steve and Lindy and I just got back last night from a fun trip to East Carolina University for Lindy's college orientation and to see Steve's sister, Angela. Angela lives in Williston, NC, which is on the Outerbanks. That is as far east as you can get in our state! Everything down there has such a distinct look and feel. It's almost like you are in the middle of a Nicholas Sparks book or The Prince of Tides. It's all very marshy with lots of boats and lighthouses.



The night before we left, Lindy and Laura and their friends went to the midnight showing of Harry Potter, so she didn't get to bed until after 3:00 am! Then we were up at 4:30 am and we left at 5:00. She tried to sleep in the car some, but she really didn't get much rest. So....needless to say, she was EXHAUSTED all day the first day at the orientation.

She met some really nice people and her roommate for the night was a sweetheart. After getting a good night's sleep, she felt much better the second day. We did lots of walking around and touring the campus and I felt like my brain might explode from all the information!

I am excited for her and just want her to be happy. I think she is feeling happy and nervous and excited and apprehensive all at the same time. Going to college is such a transition in your life!

The ECU mascot is the Pirates!


Lindy is that tiny little person on the left! :)


We ate lunch at a Mexican restaurant near campus...



After we left ECU, we drove a few more hours to Angela's. The day we got there it was her birthday! She showed us around her amazing garden. This girl has got a green thumb!! We picked some beans and tomatoes but the mosquitos were about to eat us alive, so we had to come in.


Here is Steve and Angela. He loves her!



Then we headed over to a friend of hers for a birthday dinner. The girl who gave her the party is an amazing cook and we ate like pigs. Shrimp, corn on the cob, squash casserole, carrot cake... It was all so good.

Angela's friend lives right on the water, so before dinner, some of us took a walk down to the dock.









There was the most gorgeous sunset while we were there.


Here is everyone singing Happy Birthday to Angela. She was sad that her kids couldn't be there to help celebrate. They are all grown up and gone, but she has a very sweet group of friends.




On Friday we drove into Beaufort which is such a quaint little town right on the water. We had lunch at a restaurant that overlooked the water.






Then we had fun just browsing around town together.














We got back very late on Friday night. It is a LONG way back from her house. I wish we lived closer!

Today I went shopping with Ashley to find me a dress for her wedding. It was my lucky day and we found one right away. And shoes, too!! I am excited about it and think it will be perfect.

9 comments:

Ashley Pizarro said...

How exciting for Lindy and ECU!! She is going to love it!! The Outer Banks looks beautiful, I have never been and have always wanted to!

The Monogrammed Mrs. said...

Looks like Chico's Mexican Restaurant on Cotanche St. It's a landmark! I'm glad you guys had a good trip. A lot of people I went to school with kept up with their orientation roommate throughout college! And I love the coast of NC too. Don't get to OBX much but love Beaufort about once a month.

Your sister in law's tomatoes look a lot further along than ours. I think we planted to late. We'll see.

Love Being a Nonny said...

Boy, you did A LOT in those few days!!! WOW! Fun though and you went to some of my favorite places down east! Isn't our state a great one? I like calling nC home.

Megan L Hutchings said...

So many of those pictures looked like they could of been postcards :)!

I am so excited for your entire family and all the happiness that this year is bringing.

Jacquie said...

You got some great photos. I would LOVE to go explore your neck of the woods.

Glad to hear you found a dress. Does it seem to you that most of the dresses they say the "mothers" are supposed to wear are just too matronly or something?? I'd be interested to see what you found.

Girl with the Curlz said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time. I love the Outer Banks and Beaufort. My husband and I have been many times.

Jeremy, Holly, and Haven said...

I saw your daughter's engagement announcement in the paper today and thought it was funny that I recognized her from reading your blog, but I don't know you guys. You know, I kinda feel like I know you because I read about your family so much, so I was excited for her. I think I found your blog throught Bethany Trent's blog. We are friends from college and my husband grew up with her and her husband at church.

Heather said...

What a great visit for you guys! Lindy is gorgeous and super petite!
I bet she will love ECU! Glad you all had a great visit, I would love a garden like that one day! YAY for finding a dress quickly!

Ginger said...

We love the Outer Banks...haven't been since Katie was young. Sounds like y'all had a great time at Steve's sister's. The garden is beautiful!

I know Lindy is excited about ECU. Can't wait to hear all about it!