Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Charleston

Our day started bright and early this morning...at around 5:00 actually! Laura and Lindy had to be at the church at 5:30 to leave for their senior trip and Steve was sweet enough to take them. But, of course, I wouldn't let them leave without hugging them goodbye, so I was up early, too.

We had a little mini-crisis this morning. For the past few years, Laura, Lindy, and I have all shared a flat iron and Ashley has one of her own. It has always worked fine...even on vacations. Somehow I've been able to use Ashley's if Laura and Lindy wanted to take theirs somewhere. But today they took theirs and I realized I didn't have one to take to Charleston. So, I figured I would just buy one when I got here since I will need one of my own anyway soon when they leave for college.

Meanwhile, I decided to use Ashley's this morning and then I would be good to go for the day. But when I heated up her flat iron, it never got hot! It kept going on and off, and I managed to get my hair somewhat straight, but not like usual. Then Ashley couldn't straighten her hair either! Her flat iron had broken. That may seem trivial, but believe me, all of us have the curliest, coarsest hair and we NEEEED our flat irons...especially in a city like Charleston that is about 200% humidity!!! So, needless to say, when we got to Charleston today, that was the first order of business...finding a store with a Chi! (Steve thinks I'm crazy, but he is sweet enough to indulge me on this one! haha)

We had a lot of fun today. Here is the Cooper River bridge that we have to cross over to get into Charleston. Isn't it amazing? It is the longest cable-stay bridge in the Western Hemisphere!


Once we got here, we were getting hungry, so we checked into our hotel, then decided to get some lunch. Here I am in the courtyard of our hotel...


For lunch we went to a place called Virginia's on King. Virginia is an actual grandma who loved cooking for her family and eventually opened a restaurant that is a huge hit in Charleston. Here is her picture with her family!


I got one of my all-time Charleston favorite things...She-Crab Soup! It was sooooo good! And I also got another southern favorite...a BLT with fried green tomatoes. Mmmmmm!!

There is every store imaginable here...anything from Gucci to Gap and everything in between. So we did some browsing around after lunch. One of the art galleries that we walked by had this painting in the window and I thought it was so cool. It is a group of Republican presidents (dead and alive...Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Dwight Eisenhower, George Bush, Nixon, Ford, George W. Bush, Reagan) sitting around a table together just talking and laughing together. They had one for the Democratic presidents too.


One of the things that I love about Charleston is all the beautiful historical buildings. I know I probably went a little crazy taking pictures, but everything is just so pretty.












Tonight we ate dinner at one of our Charleston favorites...Hyman's Seafood. We sat at a table that Erma Bombeck had eaten at! (I love her!)


After dinner, we just walked around downtown Charleston and went down to the waterfront. We got ice cream and just had fun hanging out! I am looking forward to tomorrow!

8 comments:

Lana said...

I can totally relate about the Chi hair straightener! :) I love mine and it goes everywhere with me!!

Isn't Charleston a beautiful city? I love visiting there. It's so pretty! I hope you have a wonderful time and I can't wait to see all of your pictures!

Christal said...

How fun you are so cute! I understand the flat iron situation too!!! A must have. Well I'm headed to utah for the wedding fun so I'll hopefully not miss to much and get one tomorrow have fun !!

Kellie DeLange said...

Totally understand the flat iron situation and I have really straight hair to begin with!!
Have a nice trip! It sounds like you're having fun!

Lacy said...

I can't relate on the hair straightener, because I've never used one, but I agree that Charleston is so beautiful!! Of course I am partial to the lowcountry... I hope your trip continues to be relaxing and fun.

Meagan said...

I am so, so, so thankful that you took lots of pictures!! Reading yoru post today makes me LONG to be somewhere near the beach. I am there in spirit, lol! I love that you had a leasurly day strolling the streets and enjoying your hubby and having some time to just be! :-)

Holly said...

It is SO beautiful! I know... when we travel out south, I just give up on my hair and do the curly thing! :) My dad lived in Charleston for a couple of years after he graduated from high school, so it's fun to see pictures of it! :)

Faith said...

Oh, I just love Charleston!! And, you just can't go without eating at Hymans. So glad y'all are having fun!

P.S. Thanks so much for your prayers =)

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

That is one reason I will not go to Charleston....the Cooper River Bridge!! I don't do bridges!!!

~Beth