Friday, June 19, 2009

Charleston-Shopping, Sunning, and Sweltering!

Well, today was our last full day in Charleston! If you ever come here, one of the things you HAVE to do is go to King Street.


I read somewhere today that it is being called the "SoHo of the South" and I can see why! I spent all morning there today shopping. I promise you it has every store you can think of and it is all right there together and so convenient and fun. Steve was working again this morning, so it was the perfect thing to do since he is not a huge fan of shopping! :)

While I was walking down the street this morning, I saw this huge line.


You can't tell it here, but the line wrapped around the building. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I got closer and saw that it was people standing in line to get the new iPhone! :) It was so hot, they had huge coolers of bottled water for everyone in line! If anyone has an iPhone...how do you like it?? It must be wonderful since so many people want one!!

I came back to the hotel around lunch time to meet Steve and on my phone was a text message from Laura. She is on a senior church trip to Florida and she thinks she may have gotten food poisoning. She has been very sick. :( I was worried about her all day, but I talked to her tonight and she said she is feeling better now. Maybe it wasn't food poisoning after all??

This afternoon, Steve and I went to the beach.


It is only about 15-20 minutes from where we are staying. We stopped by Wal-Mart and bought some of those low beach chairs and we had a lot of fun just sitting with our feet in the water and people watching. I think people watching is so entertaining! God sure did get creative when he made so many kinds of people, didn't He??

My sweet friend, Alise, is from Charleston and she told us about a restaurant we should try while we were here, so tonight we got dressed and decided to walk over there. I was even crazy enough to leave my hair down! haha Here I am before we left the hotel.


But by the time we got there we were both drenching in sweat. It was extremely hot today and the humidity is so thick. It feels like you could practically wring water out of the air!! By then, my hair was up and I was ready to get into some air conditioning. But the restaurant was closed! :(

I called Alise and she recommended another place called Hank's. It did not disappoint! We loved it and ended up having a really fun night. I'm thinking when I get back home, I need to go on a very strict diet for about the next month just to recover from the past few days! haha

Tomorrow we are leaving to go back to Charlotte. We may stop and tour a plantation, but we're not sure. Hope you have a great weekend!!

5 comments:

Ginger said...

Sounds like y'all are having a great time. Tony has eaten at Hank's when he's been there on business and had the same impression...excellent!

Meagan said...

I am so glad y'all are having such a good time! That shopping sounds fun, but the heat DOES NOT! I was young when we went to Charleston and ironically that is the only thing I remember about the trip... how HOT and HUMID it was! lol :-) I want to go back, but I think I'd like to go in the fall!

MiMi said...

Charleston is one of my very favorite places to visit. I love Hymans, she-crab soup, shrimp po-boys, and, of course, fried green tomato BLTs!

It looks like you have had a wonderful visit! Thanks for letting me revisit with you!

Have a safe trip home and have a blessed weekend!

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

Well, I've never been to Charleston...rode through it once (briefly) headed to Hilton Head Island from Myrtle Beach.

Sounds like y'all are really enjoying the time there... Hope you have a safe journey back home.

~Beth

Alise Nettles said...

YEAH! I'm so glad you liked Hank's! It's awesome and I can't believe I had forgotten about it! Glad you were able to get some food. I feel terrible that I didn't know the Boathouse was closed downtown. hope to see you soon!