Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Teaching, Praying, and Reading

I get really excited about dumb stuff sometimes and today was one of those times. I just so happened to be clicking around the internet trying to get some ideas for making my class even better next year and I went back to a website that I have been to many times that I just love. It is called Mrs. Powell's Management Ideas For Teachers.


Well, I think Mrs. Powell is amazing and that she has great creativity and organization, but little did I know that she is a Christian and has a devotional blog for teachers, too! Yay! It's just fun to me when I really like alot about a person and then I find out that we are on the same page spiritually, too. So, all you teachers out there, I would encourage you to stop by Mrs. Powell's blog for lots of great ideas and a little encouragement to boot!

Could I ask you to please keep Ashley and John in your prayers? They drove to South Carolina today to try and look for a teaching job for Ashley. She went to a job fair earlier this year in a county not too far from Columbia and it seemed like it was a good possibility for her. Today she went to 18 schools and dropped off her resume hoping that she would get to meet some of the principals one-on-one, but not one principal was able to meet with her!! :( Job searching is so hard!

Some of the schools she went to were more in the urban areas, and some were in more rural areas. I had to laugh today, though, because she texted me and said, "I am not lying...I just dropped off my resume with a school secretary who was missing teeth and was wearing men's Levis!"

On another subject, I finally decided that I am determined to read a book. I really love to read, but I never seem to have time to do it. But that is just sad. So, I have started reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.


My girls love her and recommended this book. Plus the movie is coming out soon, so that will be fun. Has anyone read it??

13 comments:

Heather said...

That is my all-time FAVORITE book!!!!!!!!! I own and have read all of her books but this is one of the best. I can't wait to hear how you liked it :)

Cherit said...

Thank you for sharing the devotional blog for teachers. I really enjoyed reading it!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I will pray for Ashley to find a job!

I also get excited about dumb stuff. All. the. time. ;)

I read that book earlier this year. I thought it was well-written but I HATED the ending. And I couldn't decide if I loved or hated the mom character. Wowza.

Tell us what you think after you finish!

CA Sparkman said...

I am excited to see someone wanting to do a better job!
I just recently published a book about the prayers of the Apostle Paul, and thought you may be interested in checking it out. You can preview and even order the book at www.Amazon.com. Just type in Praying The Prayers of the Apostle Paul.

Thanks and God Bless,
casparkman@gmail.com

Mom Can I? said...

oh i loved that book - cried like a baby - although 19 minutes was better!

Rebecca Jo said...

I havent read that one.. but heard great things... I love that author but her last book, I didnt really care for...

Ginger said...

I'll have to check out that blog! I've read that book...intense, but good. Can't wait for the movie.

Christal said...

You are seriously the best teacher always trying to do better!
Good luck to ashley -- great text too that is funny! She's in our prayers.
Have fun reading & relaxing !!

Lacy said...

Praying for John and Ashley's job hunt!! I have read almost ever Jodi Piccoult, and this one is my favorite! I hope you'll let us know what you think! :)

Megan L Hutchings said...

You have been so busy lately that I am sure finding that blog was a wonderful surprise :)!

I will be praying for Ashley and her job search!

Jacquie said...

I never have time to read either.

I'll add Ashley and John to my prayer list.

Have a fun-filled Memorial Day weekend, Betsy!!

Lana said...

Good luck for your daughter finding the job search! I am a fellow teacher in SC right outside of the Columbia area!

I had to laugh about the text...too funny!!!

I haven't been to the website! Thanks for recommending!

Leigh Ann said...

I haven't read that one but I have read another one I really liked. Job searching is HARD, but I know the perfect spot will open up for her. I love the kind of teacher you are and pray for a teacher like you for Evan. I love that you are always looking for ideas to make your classroom better when I'm sure it is already amazing!