Saturday, May 2, 2009

Spring Weekend

April and May are huge birthday months in our family! My birthday was about a week ago, my dad's birthday is on May 5th (Cinco de Mayo!), Ashley's is on May 11th, and I have two aunts whose birthdays are thrown into the mix, too. So last night my mom had everybody over for a birthday cookout. The weather was so nice and it was fun hanging out together and catching up.

My dad grilled hamburgers and we all brought side items. I brought my seven layer salad which is always a hit. Here is the birthday boy with Laura and Lindy.


My mom made us all a "Pig-Pickin' Cake". Have you ever heard of that? I guess it got it's start at an old fashioned pig pickin' where they put the whole pig on a spit and cook it, then pick off the meat and make barbeque. It is so yummy and moist. Here is the recipe. (It is a great summer recipe...so light!)

Pig Pickin' Cake

INGREDIENTS
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, juice reserved
4 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 (16 ounce) package frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix

DIRECTIONS
Mix together cake mix, canned oranges with juice, eggs, and oil. Pour batter into three greased and floured 8 inch round pans. Layers will be thin.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake tests done. Cool layers on wire racks.
Mix together whipped topping, drained pineapple, and instant pudding mix. Fill and frost the cooled cake. Refrigerate until ready to eat.


You can make the cake in three layers, or just a sheet cake. Ours was a sheet cake. Collectively, we are 252 years old...haha!



Today was such a nice day. I got my hair colored and oh my goodness...did it need it! Then Steve and Laura and Lindy and I went to lunch and ate outside which is one of my favorite things to do.

This afternoon I got TONS of schoolwork done, then Laura and I went prom shoe shopping. These are the shoes she got...they match perfectly with her dress!


Laura's dress is short and these shoes are adorable on her. But they are REALLY tall. Laura was laughing that she hoped she didn't fall off of them or twist her ankle walking or dancing!

I am sad because next Saturday is prom, but it is also Ashley's college graduation. We didn't know what to do because we had to choose one or the other. But Laura and Lindy were sweet enough to insist that we go to Ashley's graduation (which really does take priority considering she's worked hard for four years to get to this point!) So they are going to have a friend take pictures for us.

Tonight Steve had some friends over to just hang out, sit on the porch, and play ping pong. Laura and Lindy went to Columbia today with some friends to visit Ashley. They are all going to Charleston tomorrow for a day at the beach and shopping. So, I ordered Thai and Rocky and I are watching Legally Blonde (which is one of the cutest movies!) on TV.


That is a good night in my book! :)

PS...I have seen this commercial several times tonight and it almost makes me cry every time. So sweet!

11 comments:

  1. Another full calendar month for the Maddox family.

    I hadn't seen that Zale's commercial yet, but I got misty watching it.

    Enjoy your Sunday, Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People look at me like I'm crazy when I call it Pig-Pickin' Cake...well, that is until they taste it. Then, they are wanting the recipe! It is def. a winner every single time.

    Happy May!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of that cake!! But it does sound good!!

    And I love "legally blonde"!! Yep!

    Have a great Sunday!

    ~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Jacquie, I haven't seen the Zales commercial yet, but I also got teary watching it.

    Happy Birthday to all your family members! Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time celebrating. Ooooh and the cake looks delicous too!

    I know you are looking forward to the summer months so you can slow down a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cake sounds and looks delicious!! Where did you and Laura get those shoes or what brand are they? I love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, I have NOT seen that commercial - too sweet!!!!

    Your weekend sounds so fun! A birthday celebration, eating outside with the fam, a night in with friends! You have so much fun - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betsy,
    Oh my stars those shoes are adorable!!! I miss heels.

    That cake sounds delish and that commercial gave me the goosebumps. So sweet.

    Have a Blessed day,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless your heart! There is never a dull moment in your life :)!

    That cake sounds absolutely delicious and a recipe I will have to try.

    Happy May beautiful :)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!! You guys are ALWAYS so busy Betsy, I don't know how you have the energy! ;) What a tough choice between Prom and Graduation! I can't wait to see pictures of both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cake sounds yummy I'll have to try it something new is always welcome!! Love the shoes she is going to look gorgeous! ANd the commercial is perfect love it thanks for sharing> Hope your having a good week so far! ANd happy birthday to all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a good night in MY book too!!

    I had not seen the commercial...sweet!!!

    Oh, love the prom shoes and sorry you had to choose between the two activities. Thank goodness for digital pics that you can see quickly. Can't wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)