Tuesday, May 12, 2009

In The Good Ole Summertime

One of the best things about being a teacher is that you get your summers off! Woohoo!! And, it just so happens that I LOVE summer, so it is perfect that I get my favorite time of the year off!

About mid-May, the end of the year seems so close you can almost taste it and the anticipation just starts to grow! I have so many things that I love about summer and that I am looking forward to.

Let me just list a few...

1. Sleeping late....oh my goodness, that sounds so wonderful.


Not just one day a week, but EVERYDAY if I want to!! If I can go to bed at around midnight and wake up at around 8:00, I am a happy girl! That is 2 1/2 hours later than I get to sleep now, so that is late to me!

2. Summer fruits and vegetables!


When I went to the store a week or two ago, the vidalia onions were back. That is a sign that more is just around the corner and I love it all. Tomatoes, squash, fresh peaches, strawberries, green beans, peppers....mmmmmm!!! I am already thinking about the yummy dinners I am going to make once all the good stuff is back. My assistant, Joyce, just told me about a really good farmer's market that she goes to that I can't wait to visit!

3. Going to Florida.


I love to do this anytime of year, but especially in the summer. Sun and sand and water...I love it all!

4. Summer nights!


I love sitting outside or going for a walk on a summer night. The air is warm but feels cool in contrast to the heat of the day, the fireflies are out, you can hear children playing until after dark, and the crickets and frogs are singing their little hearts out.

5. Grilling out.


We do this so much during the summer. I would say at least twice a week. Then we usually eat out on our porch. Isn't there something so delicious about a juicy grilled hamburger or steak? You just can't beat it!

6. Time to read!


I feel like I haven't read a good book in about nine months. I can't wait to have all day to read if I feel like it. Hopefully I will get all caught up on everything I have missed out on!

7. Summer clothes.




I love how summer clothes are so lightweight and comfortable. I wear everything from little comfy sundresses to shorts and t-shirts. And I love to go barefoot or wear flip flops!

8. Summer concerts. It seems like over the summer we always go to several outdoor concerts. We take our blankets and spread them out and just hang out and listen to good music. Kenny Chesney is my favorite summer concert...he just personifies summer, doesn't he?? Love him!


Plus there are just lots of little things like ice cold lemonade, going on an ice-cream run on the spur of the moment, the smell of rain or freshly cut grass, lying by the pool, working in the yard, watching a good baseball game, the fourth of July, longer days, no school...

Yep, it's official....Summer is THE BEST!! Can it get here any sooner???

9 comments:

  1. Betsy,glad you are enjoying your break!Please keep me in your prayers.I am scared,but i am trying to keep my faith in God!Have a great evening! Blessings, Faye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I so agree with all of them. I am looking forward to each of these things this summer but perhaps the one I look forward to is sleeping in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I can't wait for summer!! I wish I could sleep in though!! I love this post and all your favorite summer things. I wish the sun would actually come and stay awhile for starters here its raining out right now but I guess thats better then snow right!! You are going to Florida the end of may are you ha ha I wish it would be so fun to meet in real life! You are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love summer, too. Mostly it's because I like warm weather so much more than the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could not have said it any more perfectly!!!

    I LOVE SUMMER and am looking forward to one spent with Web, Vance, and Jack :)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe 8 is "sleeping in" to you!! Your summer plans sound GREAT!! I should have been a teacher (except my lack of patience) just for the summers! My husband is out of school all summer now and I have to work! I hope you have a GREAT summer!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, you don't know how bad this post makes me want to come stay the summer with you!!!

    I've been praying for Brent and Britney every day... are they still set to deliver tomorrow??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love every single one of those things too!!!

    I am super busy this week, but I had to catch up on my Betsy!! ;-) Have a great week beautiful!

    Counting down... (our last day is the 29th, when is y'alls?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh..I really enjoyed this post.....I'm excited for summer too...although, I'm not a teacher...I STILL look forward to a lot of what you've shared.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)