Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day to everyone!
I'm sure there is lots of grilling and hanging out with family and friends going on everywhere. Unfortunately, we had to go to school here today to make up a snow day we missed earlier in the year. It is not fun going to school on Memorial Day! :( We all wore red, white, and blue, though, and tried to make the best of it. I had six kids out in my class, though.

We did get to have a little Memorial Day fun yesterday and went next door for a cookout with our neighbors. I didn't take any pictures because I was just enjoying the night and forgot to bring my camera!

Today it has been pouring down rain off and on for most of the day. It is thundering right now and yet the sun is trying to come out!??? Crazy!

I want to keep in mind what this day is really all about even though it hasn't been the traditional Memorial Day for me. I am so thankful for all the men and women who have served and are currently serving our country. I don't take the sacrifices that they have made for us lightly. I am grateful for every life that has been given to keep this country safe!


On a totally different subject, today when I was packing up to leave school, Ashley called me and said, "Guess what?? Restaurant style salsa is BAAAACK!!!" haha She was so excited because we love that kind of Tostidas salsa and it has been AWOL for about the past year. I have no idea why it came back, but I'm glad! I love that kind! It's the little things, right??

She happened to learn this information when she was at the store buying stuff to make Paula Deen's Cream Cheese Pound Cake from one of my Paula cookbooks.


It is in the oven as we speak and smells delicious! I can't wait to give it a try. She bought fresh peaches to put on top. Mmmmm!!

My other little domestic goddess, Laura, decided to make homemade veggie cream cheese this afternoon, too. She added chopped peppers, carrots, and green onion and mixed it all up. Then she brought it to me on a toasted everything bagel and it was so yummy.

Isn't it great to have all these girls in the house??

Tonight is the new season of Jon and Kate Plus 8.


Not sure if I'm going to watch it. I don't really know what I think about that whole situation any more. What do you think?? I DO have my TiVo set to record Glee tomorrow night.


I have heard it's really good, so I thought I would give it a try.

Anyway...I hope you had a great day! Enjoy the rest of your Memorial Day weekend!

9 comments:

Michele said...

I can't wait to see how the pound cake turns out. I'm addicted to cookbooks, especially Southern Living and Paula Deen cookbooks. I'm planning to watch Jon and Kate. I'm hoping and praying the whole situation turns out better in the end than what we're seeing in the media. I haven't watched Glee yet, but EVERYBODY is saying it's great! Happy Memorial Day!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I'm so sorry you had school today!

That cake sounds wonderful. So does having teenagers at home that love to cook!

Jacquie said...

Sorry you had to have school today... but at least it was a rainy, yucky weather day!

I'll have to try that salsa. I love salsa! And my favorite pound cake recipe is a sour cream pound cake - it is so moist and tasty I could eat the whole thing in one sitting.

I looked for Glee on the TV schedule and can't find it???? I wanted to watch that one and now that my reality TV shows are over... I need a new program. Is it just airing in your area?

Lana said...

I hate that you had to have school on Memorial Day! I thought we were going to because we missed a couple days for snow, but they let us have it off...thank goodness!

I'll have to try the restaurant style salsa. I love chips and salsa! I also *love* Paula Deen!

I am so far behind on the whole Jon & Kate deal...I haven't ever watched it until this weekend. It's been on TLC all weekend! So, I am playing major catch-up on it, but I plan on watching the show tonight.

Love Being a Nonny said...

Just finished up the Jon and Kate Marathon and about to watch the season premier!! Probably a bunch of media hype, but they totally have me!!!

So nice that your girls are enjoying making foods. Some of my favorite family times have been spent in the kitchen! Enjoy Paula's cake. If it's one of Paula's, it has to be good!!

The Monogrammed Mrs. said...

I watched the Jon & Kate episode last night and think it's so sad. 1) because they claim to be Christians yet SHE is running the household and 2) she has put the glitz and glamour before what she professes to be the TRUTH.

Megan L Hutchings said...

School on a holiday...what a bummer! However, in just a few short days it is SUMMER VACATION!!!

Your girls are so incredibly sweet and talented. It would be awesome for them to make a little cookbook of their favorite recipes :)!

Another FABULOUS show is So You Think You Can Dance! It is my FAVORITE!!!!!!

Miss. Pretty said...

Ok so I read this post and for the past 2 days I've been CRAVING 'Restaurant Style'. So what did I go and do today? Took a trip to Publix and left with 'Restaurant Style' Tostito's Chips AND Salsa.. haha! I'm eating them as I type :)

Christal said...

I hope you had a great fun day!! I wish you were closer to orlando too so we could meet!! Its hot and muggy here seriously I forgot! Anyway hope you have a great week almost done school!!