Thursday, May 28, 2009

Day By Day

I knew May was going to be busy, and yet somehow I'm never prepared for just how crazy it can get. I'm just taking it day by day right now and trying to get through the next two weeks. School is officially out on June 10th, then Laura and Lindy graduate on June 12th. I am hosting a little family & friends party for them on the 14th, then I think that will be the end of all the celebrating and awarding and commemorating that has been going on now since late April. :) I am not complaining...it's all really great and so much fun! It's just intense!

This week at school, we finished reading my favorite children's book ever, Charlotte's Web, so I hosted a "County Fair" in my classroom since that is such a big part of the book. The kids could try to win blue ribbons in three categories...homemade goodies, crafts, and since we can't bring in real pets, they could bring in a picture of their pets. We awarded blue ribbons for pet-owner look alikes, cutest pet, funniest pet, etc. They had SO MUCH fun! And we ate like pigs all day. One mom made a strawberry-rhubarb pie which was amazing.


I thought I would share the recipe with you because, believe me, you would have loved it!

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

2 cups of strawberries,( a pound of strawberries) hulled and sliced
2 cups of rhubarb, (about 4 stalks) peel off the outer red skin and cut into 1/2 inch slices

Combine strawberries and rhubarb with 1/4 cup tapioca and 1 1/4 cups sugar. Let sit for about 15 minutes.

Pour mixture into pie crust, remember to slit crust for steam escape. Bake at 400 for approximately 50 minutes, covering edges of pie crust with foil, so not to burn.


Here are some pictures of our fun day...















Last night was an awards night at Laura and Lindy's high school. I'm telling you...there are so many smart and talented kids at that school. They awarded millions of dollars in scholarship money last night. I felt so proud to sit and look at what is really our future. If anyone says that kids today won't amount to very much, they haven't met these kids! Their future is looking very bright! :)

Laura and her good friend Melissa won awards for their work as editors of the school's literary magazine. I was so proud of them!


I am actually hosting a party/cookout at my house tonight for all the students in Lit Mag and their parents. Thankfully Ashley is home now so it like I have a wife! haha I have always said I needed a wife and with her home it's like I have one! She grocery shopped and cooked and cleaned for me today. Yay for that!!


Tomorrow night there is nothing planned. I am planning on staying home and doing nothing. And I can't wait!

9 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

That pie looks SO yummy. Thanks for the recipe.

How lucky you are to have Ashley home to help!!! What a blessing.

I know you're proud of your girls! Hang in there. The next two weeks will go by FAST!

petrii said...

Wow Betsy, You have been REALLY busy!!! That pie looks AMAZING!!

Have fun relaxing this weekend,
Dawn

Jacquie said...

I don't know how you do it! Your calendar must be hard to keep up with.

You make school look so FUN - your students probably love to attend.

We're headed to Kale's tomorrow and then to DC on Saturday. So excited. Hope you have a fun weekend with your family.

Meagan said...

I miss you and I miss your blog! I have just been overloaded unexpectedly! I promise I'll catch up soon, but I wanted to know I haven't forgotten you!! :-)

Lana said...

What a cute idea to do in your classroom....a fair! I bet your students LOVED that! Great idea! We are actually watching the movie next week! School is almost over! We get out June 5th! Yay!

You have a lot of exciting things going on! Have fun!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Yum-oh to the pie! :-)

What an amazing Mom/wife/teacher you are my friend. I wish you were my teacher years ago. lol

I'll be thinking about you as you have MANY exciting things going on.

Holly said...

You have got to be the BEST teacher ever!:) Thanks for the recipe, I have some extra rhubarb, I now know just what to do with it! PS THANK YOU for your prayers, your comment really meant alot to me and my sister, we both commented on how it touched us. You are amazing!!

Megan L Hutchings said...

I know what you mean! May is always crazy but it will be over soon.

I just love all of the ideas you incorporate in your classroom...so creative :)!

Thank goodness for Ashley...she ROCKS!

Mom Can I? said...

What a fabulous idea for your class!!! And your class would be the perfect class to do something like this because they are so well behaved!!!

And I too have asked for wife to help out with the household things!!