Monday, April 20, 2009

One Weekend...Three Parties!

This weekend was very busy...but it was fun! Friday night was Joy Prom at our church. This is such a sweet event. I wish you could see how excited these people are to be at a place where they are treated like royalty for an evening. I love seeing their smiles. Joy Prom is a perfect name because joy is written all over their faces. We had 450 disabled people at the event, not to mention the volunteers from our church. We even made the front page of the local section of our paper! This is a picture from The Charlotte Observer. One of the things we do is announce each person when they arrive and then they walk down the red carpet. On each side of the red carpet, everyone is cheering and taking pictures. They feel like a superstar!


Here are a few pictures of the night.






Saturday was the baby shower that I hosted at my house for three of the girls in my Sunday School class. It was a GORGEOUS day so we moved the party out onto my back porch. There were about 25 people there and we had the best time sitting outside and just visiting. They got so many nice gifts and I think everyone had a fun time. Here are some of the pictures...

We had soooo much yummy food. One of the best things was jalepeno bites. I am getting the recipe from my friend, Julie, and will share it with you when I get it!




One of the things I made was the punch. It was a recipe I found online and I really liked it. It was called Luscious Slush Punch. Here is the recipe for it.

Luscious Slush Punch

2 1/2 cups white sugar
6 cups water
2 (3 ounce) packages strawberry flavored gelatin mix
1 (46 fluid ounce) can pineapple juice
2/3 cup lemon juice
1 quart orange juice
2 (2 liter) bottles lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage

DIRECTIONS
In a large saucepan, combine sugar, water, and strawberry flavored gelatin. Boil for 3 minutes. Stir in pineapple juice, lemon juice, and orange juice. Divide mixture in half, and freeze in 2 separate containers.
When ready to serve, place the frozen contents of one container in a punch bowl, and stir in 1 bottle of lemon-lime soda until slushy.


Here are the three pregnant ladies! One is my sister-in-law, Britney. She is in the middle. The other two are both due on the same day and they are both having boys!!


Look at all the presents!


My sweet friend, Katie, and I gave the shower together.


Hanging out on the porch...


It was a fun day!


And then, yesterday, was Ashley's first bridal shower! Her Chi-O friends wanted to give her one before she graduated. It was in Columbia, so Laura and Lindy and I drove down right after church yesterday morning.

One of the girls giving the shower's parents have a house on the lake and that is where the shower was. We had it outside and it was just beautiful! It is so much fun having your first shower and getting things that have your new monogram and that you are going to use in your new home!! I remember getting so excited when I was getting married just looking at everything and knowing it was for OUR house!

The shower was so nice. Ashley is blessed to have such sweet girlfriends. Here are some pictures of the day.




Ashley's two friends, Amanda and Rachel, hosted the shower...


Ashley is the best "gift-getter"! She gets so excited over everything!


I hope you had a good weekend! :)

15 comments:

Melissa said...

Your back patio is amazing! Also, I love the dresses you and Ashley wore to her shower! Super cute!!

Kelly said...

Oh so fun that the wedding showers have begun! What a fun time in your lives!!!
That baby shower looks so fun. THanks for sharing the punch recipe! I'm always looking for a good one!
And that prom that ya'll do is awesome!

petrii said...

Betsy,
WOW ~~ You've had a very busy, but fun weekend!!! Your sweet daughter looked just giddy ~~ I love a shower ~~ so fun!!

Have a Blessed week,
Dawn

Ginger said...

First of all I cried when I read the paper about the Joy Prom! That is the sweetest thing ever! You were so busy this weekend. The baby shower pics were great. As always, your girls looked just beautiful...the first of many showers to come!

Marci @ All Things Wonderful said...

I love the photos from the Joy Prom. What a wonderful event!
And...I love showers! Looks like both were wonderful!

Faye said...

BETSY,WHAT A BEAUTIFUL POST!LOOKS LIKE YOU HAD A WOUNDERFUL WEEKEND! BLESSING, FAYE

Nancy said...

Great post - I loved seeing the pics from Joy Prom. I was out of town.

the shower(s) looked like so much fun.

In the picture of the group at Ashley's shower you look like you are one of the college girls!

Rebecca Jo said...

You crazy party animal!!!!

I LOVE the prom! I love the one girl with her hands up in the air... you can tell she feels AWESOME!

Cute little preggo women too!

And bridal showers - those were so fun!!!

Megan L Hutchings said...

Your weekend sounds absolutely PERFECT :)!

I wish I could experience the Joy Prom first hand. What a wonderful idea!!!

It also looks like the showers were a huge success. I am so happy for your daughter and this time in her life :)!

Christal said...

What a fun weekend!! Love the joy prom what a great idea! You are so dang cute love your dresses! How fun to have a baby and wedding shower looks like everybody had a great time!!

Faith said...

Wow, what a great weekend you had! I love the pics form the joy prom...so precious!

You were just a party animal and I can tell you had so much fun. I love your dress that you wore to Ashley's shower....I have that fabric!!

Julie said...

What a fun weekend you've had!!

I love shower punch, especially the slushy kind!! The group photos of Ahsley's friend is so neat. I have the same dress you had on except mine is black and white.

What a beautiful event and ministry Joy Prom is!!

Jacquie said...

What a great prom and how sweet to bring such joy to such deserving people.

It's so exciting that Ashley's showers are beginning.

Your baby shower turned out beautiful and great weather to boot! You can't ask for more than that.

Thanks for your email - I'm sure I'll have more questions for you before these 38 days go by and the trip is here!!

Meagan said...

It was just a shower weekend, wasn't it?! You look so beautiful in all of those pictures. I absolutely adore the green dress with the pink ribon - so cute!

Your back porch just looks like a sanctuary to me! So cool - I hope I get a big screened in back porch on my next house! :-)

Sitesx6 said...

Hi-
I was just clicking around and found your blog through Kelly's Korner. I just had to comment about the Joy Prom. That is the sweetest thing I've ever seen. I got tears in my eyes looking at the pictures.
So wonderful and precious.
Kelly in Michigan