Tuesday, April 21, 2009

In The News

There have been lots of things in the news lately that have caught my attention. First of all, I was really excited about Miss North Carolina winning the Miss USA pageant! I watched some of it and I thought she was really cute.


But I was also very impressed with Miss California standing up for her beliefs when she was asked by Perez Hilton what her stance on gay marriage was.


Some people believe that her answer that marriage should be between a man and a woman cost her the crown (she was first runner up). But I am just glad that there are people out there who are willing to stand up for what they believe is right, no matter what the cost. I thought Miss California was very respectful and I think tolerance should run both ways. Pageant contestants should not feel pressured to be politically correct. They should be able to give an honest answer.

And I have had that song by Susan Boyle stuck in my head all week. I've probably heard it a thousand times this week on every news show out there. haha But one of the things everyone has been saying is that she needs a makeover. The flip side of that is that part of her beauty and charm is the way she looks naturally. I think she is so sweet and while I think she is beautiful in her own way, I think she would look really great if she plucked her eyebrows just a little. (Only if she wants to, though!) What do you think about that?


And, this doesn't have anything to do with the news, but has anyone out there seen the book Eat This, Not That?


I have talked to several people about it recently and now I want to get it. It seems to have really good ideas for people on the go (like me) who want to make the healthiest choices possible. If you have read it, did you like it??

Well, time for me to get going and get some things done. Have a great night!

13 comments:

Faye said...

GREAT POST BETSY. I AGREE WITH YOU.AND YES SHE COULD USE AN EYEBROW WAXING!I THINK SHE IS CUTE! HAVE A GREAT EVENING. BLESSINGS, FAYE

Rebecca Jo said...

I too was so excited to see Miss California stand up for what she felt was right... she totally could have avoided that answer - but she did it anyways! love that!

Susan... yes... eye brows could use to be thinned. I do have to say, I do like that she said she's not getting a make over though... you go girl!

I've seen those books in Sam's Club & they look VERY interesting... very smart!

Ginger said...

I love Susan Boyle because she followed her passion...she has such a glow about her! I'm impressed that she's happy with who she is. Me, I'd get my eyebrows thinned. Who knows, maybe thick is coming back!

Good for Miss California. So glad that she stood up for what she feels is right!

Jacquie said...

I agree with you whole-heartedly about the Miss USA dilemma. Why in the world would they ask a person's "opinion" if they didn't really want her opinion? It was a trap from the get-go.

I've watched the Susan Boyle video over and over this week, too. I love the song!! And, her eyebrows would make a huge difference!! But, more power to her.

I haven't read the book, but I'm constantly reading about "eating this, not that" foods. ha.

Lacy said...

I LOVE the Susan Boyle performance too!! So moving! Looks like y'all had a GREAT but busy weekend. Ashley looked so happy at her shower! :)

Megan L Hutchings said...

I was so happy to see that someone from the south won :)! The questions they ask sometimes are so unfair and have nothing to do with the crown. Good for her though!!!

Christal said...

I love this post especially about susan eyebrows gave me a good laugh! So true though {if she wants too lol} /and miss cali good for her completely agree. Hope you have a beautiful day!!!

Holly said...

I have to agree! I was SO impressed with CA!! I was watching and I thought... what are the odds that Miss CA from the prop 8 state got that ?! Crazy! Miss NC is beautiful too!

Love Being a Nonny said...

This is a great post. I agree with all your points!!

The book is really good. They have it at Costco!!! (love me some Costco!)

MiMi said...

I was very impressed with Miss California, too. It is refreshing to see someone stand up for what they believe and feel is right - even if it costs them something.

The Things We Carried said...

I am so impressed by Ms California and her standing strong. There is an intolerance ow for people who have religious beliefs that they stand by. But our country was founded on freedom of religion. I thought she did a good job on the question and the blogger/judge who asked the question was not deserving of his place on the panel. His actions after showed that. he called her names on his blog and that is not fitting for any judge in any contest to do...

I love the story of the English singer! I think the brows wold lighten her face, show off her eyes and give her a more youthful appearance. But I LOVE how you added, only if she wants to, about plucking the brows :). Very sweet.

Meagan said...

You always have such fun and informative posts! lol. I have seen the book and have been curious about it! If you get it, let me know how it turns out!

petrii said...

Betsy,
Dak and I rooted on Miss S Carolina for you girl ~~ but I didn't see the question until the next day ~~ go California ~~ she rocked that answer!!

Okay so on the eye brow issue. I know from personal experience~~yes just call me Dawn bushy-eyebrow Winslow =) It so helps when you have bushy eyebrows to wax, but man does it hurt, and bleed, and leaves me red for hours. I am a bushy eyebrow girl and I have learned to embrace a certain amount of bushyness =) Okay did I really need to go on and on about eyebrows =) ....anyway, I think she is GREAT!!

Have a Blessed weekend,
Dawn