Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Teacher In Me...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!


I'm not Irish or anything but I do celebrate St. Patrick's Day with my class. We play Irish music and wear green and I teach them all about Ireland and the history of St. Patrick's Day. We also graphed Lucky Charms cereal and I made them floats with lime sherbert and Sprite.


So, in honor of the day, the teacher in me is coming out and I thought I would share some fun facts with you about Ireland, plus throw in a few cute green things!!

8 Fun Irish Facts...

1-Do you know what Erin Go Braugh means? You hear it all the time on St. Patrick's Day. It means "Ireland Forever".


2-Did you know that an odd Irish birthday tradition is to lift the birthday child upside down and give his head a few gentle bumps on the floor for good luck? The number of bumps should allegedly correspond to the child’s age plus one.

3-The longest place name in Ireland is Muckanaghederdauhaulia, in County Galway. Wow...say that three times fast!

4-The Vikings founded Dublin in 988.


5-Baileys Irish Cream which was launched in Ireland in the early seventies, is now the most popular liqueur in the world. Have you ever had an Irish coffee??

6-A fact from the last Irish census... Sean was the most popular boys name and Emma was the most popular girls name.


7-Did you know that the famous Titanic ship was built in Belfast?

8-Ireland has no snakes! (The legend is that St. Patrick drove all the snakes out.)


And here are just a few cute green things to help keep it festive...

If I was having a St. Patrick's Day party, I might make these...



Then I would probably take a bubble bath in this...


And I might wear any of these green items of clothing!...









And if you're looking for a good movie about Ireland, either of these two is perfect...

Evelyn is a sweet family story...




...and PS I Love You has the most beautiful scenery!



I loved them both!

So, that's what I have to share today!! I hope you had a fun St. Patrick's Day!

17 comments:

  1. great post I learned a few new things and love your might wear list!! You are so stylin! {Oh and I'd take the rain over the dang wind we are having for days!!! Annoying all around eh! Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evelyn just looks good from the picture!!! This was a cute post!!!

    I loved the clothing pieces too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun facts! Thanks for sharing. I'll have to check out both those movies. I haven't seen either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just taught me a lot and I really liked P.S. I Love You also. The scenes in the movie were gorgeous. Have you ever been to Ireland?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun, fun post! That birthday tradition is just crazy. I couldn't say that town name even once, let alone 3x. I DID know the Titanic was built in Belfast (I love the story of the Titanic). I could live in Ireland just for the fact they have no snakes. I bought a CUTE green short trench at the Gap a while back and wore it Sunday! Love Spring green! I've never seen "Evelyn", but the front of the DVD makes me want to! AND the MOST beautiful scenery in "PS I Love You" was Gerard Butler - whom I have a mad crush on!!! (Terrible, I know!)

    I wish I could've been in your class today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some neat facts. Thanks for sharing. My daughter's birthday is today, so we'll have to be sure and give her eleven bumps on the head for luck!! haha.

    Glad you stopped by the other day. I love your blog and it made me smile to see your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Saint Patty's day!
    I'm DYING over that cute green coat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy St. Patirck's Day! What a fun post!! We always have Spring Break the week that it falls on, so I never get to celebrate with my class. How fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE PS I love you! Such a cute movie! I also love Dancing with the stars! Your top 3 picks to win are the same as mine! Julianne's partner is her real life boyfriend/country star! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy St. Pat's Day!!!

    I LOVED the green shoes!!! And Purse!

    ~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Bailey's Irish Creme and I would love to have a lime sherbert float about right now! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore the teacher in you! I think Evan might actually like that birthday tradition. He is such a sensory seeker that that just is right up his alley. I love how green it is there. Sure would be nice to visit. I would really like the fact there are no snakes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute post!! Green never has been *my color*....until I saw these cute things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post :)! I think you should do teacher posts more often!!!

    Love the green clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am loving those green items of clothing! Especially the handbag, coat and that cute little shirt! Where was that shirt from?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the Fun Facts!! Thanks for sharing. Bailey's is one of my favorites...in milk, in coffee, in hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. betsy,
    This was so cute. The teacher in you defininetly taught me some Irish facts =)

    Have a Blessed evening,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)