Thursday, February 12, 2009

Valentines Fun


Tomorrow is our class Valentine's Day Party. Today we made those cute little Valentine card holders with paper hearts and stickers all over them. We just used bags, but the kids had so much fun doing it. Do you remember Valentine's Day parties in elementary school? We used to get a shoe box and cut a hole in the top and decorate it with doilies and red and pink hearts all over. Too cute!

Our "party" tomorrow is just the kids passing out their Valentine cards and then having some cupcakes or cookies and letting them open and read their cards. That is a party to them!


When I was in elementary school, I would spend a really long time writing everyone's name on each card. If there was a boy in the class that I thought was cute, I would add some X's and O's on his card! :)

In junior high, our school would sell carnations.


Students could buy them and have them delivered to anyone they wanted. Red ones meant that you loved someone, pink meant you would like to get to know someone better (aka go out on a "date"), and white ones you would just send to a friend. It was so much fun seeing what carnations you would get that day and from whom! :)

Steve and I decided to go out to dinner tomorrow night at Bonefish Grille. That is always good and we already have reservations so we won't have to wait so long in line. Laura and Lindy are going to see Shop-A-Holic tomorrow afternoon.


I really want to see it, too, but I can't squeeze it in tomorrow. Maybe another day.

Tomorrow night I really want to see "A Hidden America: Children of the Mountains". It is about children living in poverty in the Appalachian mountains. That is where I spent alot of my childhood since my grandparents lived in Franklin, North Carolina in the heart of the Appalachian mountains. I think it will be really interesting.


Saturday we are going wedding dress shopping with Ashley!! How fun is that?? I will tell you all about it later! I hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day weekend!

17 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Hi Betsy.

My kids don't have school tomorrow so their class parties were today. I think Valentine's is such a fun holiday for kids in school!

Oh, and I really want to catch that special too! Looks very interesting, and after reading The Glass Castle I think it gave me new eyes to see that kind of poverty.

Enjoy your Valentine date!

Ginger said...

This is such a cute post! Tomorrow should be lots of fun. :) Sounds like you've got a fun Valentine's Weekend planned...Enjoy!

Angie said...

I loved valentines day parties in elementary school! Have fun with your class!! Dress shopping with Ashley will be so much fun, have a great time!

Kelley said...

Thank you for the friend award! I LOVE it! You are sweet. I am in the middle of birthday party central with Claire's party tomorrow. I'll be glad when it is done! Have a fun Valentine celebration at school.

Jacquie said...

I thought about "The Glass Castle" too when I read about the special.

Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned -- especially with wedding dress shopping. Seems you're in a whole new phase of life, Betsy!!

Kayla said...

I LOVED LOVED LOVED V-day parties in elementary! OMG I used to be so nervous to slip that little card in the box of the cute boy! HAHA!

I want to see shop-a-holic SOOOO bad! Kale would never go for that one, so I may have to wait to rent it!

PLEASE take lots of pictures of the dresses!!! Is it bad that I've already got my dress picked out and I don't have a ring yet???

Cherry Tree Lane said...

Betsy,
Just found your blog and it is adorable! Happy Valentines to you!

Rebecca Jo said...

Happy Valentine's Day

Kellie DeLange said...

Happy Valentine's Day!!! Have a good time with your hubby tomorrow night and lots of fun dress shopping!!!

Rathi said...

Shopaholic looks too cute! Have fun dress shopping, can't wait to hear all about it. Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow!!

Melissa said...

Awww, Dustin and I are going to Bonefish. It's our Valentine's tradition. We go every year!!

Megan L Hutchings said...

I absolutely LOVED our Valentine's Parties in school! For some reason decorating the box was always my favorite ;)! Vance is having one today and I can't wait to see what goodies he gets.

Please take tons of pictures this weekend. I had so much fun wedding dress shopping ;)!

Holly said...

Betsy, that is so funny. I have seen the previews for that children of the mountains, and I am going to watch it tonight too! I also want to see Confessions of a Shopaholic! Looks so cute! Hope you have a Happy Valentines Day!

Christal said...

Happy Valentines Day! YOur school kids have the best teacher ever!! Hope you have a great weekend~!! Enjoy your date!

MiMi said...

I want to watch the special on the children in the Appalachians, too! I have my DVR set to record it.

Hope you have a Happy Valentines Day and I can't wait to hear about the wedding gown shopping trip. I know ya'll are going to have so much fun!

Leigh Ann said...

Is there any day more perfect to shop for a wedding dress than Valentine's day! Wow! I want to see Shopoholic too and can't wait for my next girls' night out because we are planning to go. I went to Evan's Valentine's party and it was so fun!

Stacy F. from Arkansas said...

Hi Betsy,
I also just found your blog and I love it! We have a lot in common...I've been married to my high school sweetheart for 24 years and I also have twins who are 18 (boy/girl) and another daughter who is 16..boy a house of teenagers is hard and EXPENSIVE. I'll keep checking in on ya'll and see what fun things you are doing..I am in the middle of getting a blog designed. I thought it would be a great way to preserve memoires..I love to scrapbook. Have a great week and nice to meet you.
Stacy Featherston
Searcy, AR