Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Reading and 'Riting and 'Rithmetic


Life has been busy, busy this week at school. Teaching is such a wonderful career and calling, but it is sooooo intense. The days are long and the expectations are high. You have about 25 little lives that you are in charge of for a good part of the day and if you are a good teacher, you take that seriously and want to do the best job you can. So that requires lots of hours spent making your lessons the best they can be with lots of tweaking and trying.

This week I came across some really great websites that are helping me be an even better teacher.

One of them was Hedgehog Books.


Even if you're not a teacher, but you are a parent looking for good books for your children, you should check this one out! It has such great ideas for every reading level!

Have you ever read this book?


I have had it for a long time and I am finally getting around to reading it. It's about a first year teacher's experience in an inner city Chicago classroom. Well, the author has a blog called Planet Esme! It's about children's literature. Her blog recommends a book-a-day to read aloud to your students. Love it!

Then there's The Crafty Crow. It has THE cutest ideas for children's crafts. Look at these from last week...

A Valentine tree...

A snowman pencil topper...



Chicken Spaghetti is a great site because it lists tons of children's authors who have websites of their own. That is a such a wonderful resource when doing an author study! My favorite children's author is Cynthia Rylant (I wish she had a website!). She has SO many good books! These are a few of my favorites:










And the last one is just a site that I think is pretty cool since teaching writing is such a big part of what I do. The site is called Two Writing Teachers and I think it has good ideas and links that are helpful.

We had a school raffle recently and tomorrow afternoon the second grade teachers are taking the winners ice skating after school. Wow...it's been a long time since I did that!

Then Friday night is Movie Night at school. All the kids bring their sleeping bags and camp out and watch a movie in the school auditorium.

Like I said...busy, busy, busy!! :)

12 comments:

Melissa said...

Thanks for the great websites. I'm always looking for new teaching ideas online!

Jacquie said...

As a momma, I ALWAYS appreciated the teachers who cared. You can tell you're one of them!! That means a lot to us parents.

Did you see the Hallmark movie "Front of the Class"? I loved it. He was an awesome teacher, even with his disability.

Have a great rest of the week!

Michele said...

Wow! You have been busy! Thanks for all the great website and book ideas. I may be heading back to full-time teaching soon. It's a bit scary.

twowritingteachers said...

Thanks for your kind words about TWT! Hope to have you as part of the SOLSC in March!

Holly said...

Thanks for all the great tips!! I'm always looking for new books to read at our house and new crafts to make!! :) No wonder your students just ♥ you!

Julie said...

I love reading books! You have got to be the best teacher! It's not just your job, it's your calling!

All the Valentine's goodies looked so yummy. I loved the cookies in your earlier post!

That wedding is just going to be gorgeous. I loved all the dresses! The bow was adorable!

Megan L Hutchings said...

Girlfriend...slow down...lol!

I think that your passion and attention to details makes you the amazing teacher AND parent you are. Thank you for the web-site b/c you know I love children's books!!!

Meagan said...

I LOVE finding new online resources!!! I honestly don't know what teachers did before the internet! I use it ALL the time! One of my favorite Sunday afternoon activities is to sit with my computer and dig for new and exciting stuff to experience with all my precious angels a school!!!

Heather said...

Oooh Thanks for the websites! I LOVE Educating Esme!

Lacy said...

The Valentine tree was super cute!! I wish our school had had movie night, that sounds like so much fun!!

Faye said...

HI THERE!I STUMBLED ACROSS YOUR BLOG.I ENJOYED IT SO MUCH!I AM A NEW BLOGGER LEARNING AS I GO,BUT SO FAR I HAVE HAD A BLAST!HAVE A BLESSED WEEKEND

Christal said...

Seriously you are the best teacher love all the tips and ideas! You are truly a teacher who cares. You are always so so busy too! I admire you! ttys