Sunday, February 8, 2009

Playlist of My Life-Part 1

On weekends here in Charlotte, the radio stations play lots of oldies. This weekend, when I heard some of those old songs, it was bringing back so many memories that I thought I should write down all the songs I remember from my life...kind of like my own personal playlist. It's alot to remember, so I just decided to break it up into two parts. The first part is from when I was born until junior high school. Then I will do junior high through college. See if you remember any of these! (Only if you're old like me! haha)

I was born in 1964, but obviously, I don't remember anything about those first two years, so I decided to start when I could actually remember!



1966-This is the year my little brother, Blake, was born and my dad was in Viet Nam. This is a picture of my dad with a Viet Namese baby.



We were living in Waco, Texas, and I think this was the first year I really started remembering things. My dad sent me a teddy bear that year from New York where he was in Chaplain's School before he left for Viet Nam. The teddy bear came from Gimbel's Department Store and I named him Mr. Gimbel. I LOVED that teddy bear and still have him!

I know I remember hearing the Mama's and the Papa's "California Dreamin' " and The Supreme's "You Can't Hurry Love". Plus my mom loved Simon and Garfunkel(Sounds of Silence, etc), so I heard that alot, too!

1967-My mom must have loved all the slow love songs back in the day because the songs I remember hearing the most are those like:

"Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You"-Frankie Valli and
"Never My Love"-The Association
Here I am with Blake when I was about 3 years old.


1968-I remember the song "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro and I used to think it was so sad. We also had a Glen Campbell album and it had "Little Green Apples" on it and I really used to like this song, too!


I think I already told you that I named my three kittens Abraham, Martha, and John after the song "Abraham, Martin, and John". One of my kittens was a girl, so I had to change Martin to Martha. haha

1969-We had an Andy William's album with the Osmond Brothers singing "Good Morning Starshine" from the musical Hair and I LOVED that song when I was 5!! We also had the Fifth Dimension album with "The Age Of Aquarius" on it and I sang along with that one, too.


I also loved "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond. I must have liked naming things after songs because I named one of my dolls Caroline! :)

1970-I started school and we moved to Nashville, Tennessee.

This is when I started becoming a Donny Osmond fanatic! I had all his albums and listened to him constantly (Sweet and Innocent, Puppy Love, One Bad Apple). This is what he looked like when I first became a fan...


I also loved the Jackson 5 (ABC, The Love You Save, I'll Be There). The Osmonds and The Jackson 5 both had cartoons that came on Saturday mornings and I lived for those cartoons! Friday nights were The Partridge Family


and The Brady Bunch.


1971-The Osmond craze continued...My dad was also the associate/youth pastor at Two Rivers Baptist Church in Nashville during these years. Do you know how much fun that was to be seven or eight and get to hang around teenagers all the time? It was back in the hippie days and everyone had long hair and played the guitar, so lots of guys at our church loved to sing and play songs like John Denver's "Take Me Home Country Roads" or Simon and Garfunkle's "Bridge Over Troubled Water". I loved hearing them and they always seemed so talented to me!

1972-I used to love the song "Brand New Key" by Melanie because it's about getting a brand new pair of roller skates and I had that kind that had to have a key! :) Remember these??


I think, being a child, I liked the songs that children would like. I loved "Candy Man" by Sammy Davis, Jr. and "Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast".

My sweet friend, Bridgette, who lived behind me had a step mom who was really young and pretty. I thought she was so great because she let us play with her make up and she mowed the grass in her bikini top and cut offs. She loved "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love" by the Spinners and so we loved it too! I also remember we had a Jim Croce and a Carpenters album and we played them all the time.

1973-This was the year my little brother, Brent, was born. We moved to Columbia, Tennessee. I remember the song "Tie A Yellow Ribbon 'Round The Old Oak Tree" was a HUGE hit this year! I also liked "Delta Dawn" by Helen Reddy. :)


1974-I was in 5th grade now and I think I was starting to feel a little more grown up. I know I listened to the radio alot when I was with my friends and we started having parties where we would play records and dance. I remember singing "Seasons In The Sun" with all my friends. Over the summer we would take the radio outside and listen to it while we played or when we were having a sleepover. If I hear any of the songs from this year, I just immediately go back to my old neighborhood.

"Come And Get Your Love"-Redbone
"Bennie and The Jets"-Elton John
"You Make Me Feel Brand New"-The Stylistics
"Annie's Song"-John Denver
"Please Come To Boston"-Dave Loggins
"I Honestly Love You"-Olivia Newton John

Plus alot more!

1975-My very favorite song that year was "Love Will Keep Us Together" by Captain and Tenille.


And Brent was about two years old then and he sang "Rhinestone Cowboy" all the time and was so cute!


We got to have an end of the year party that year in sixth grade and we could bring our little 45 records. I remember we played "Blackwater" by the Doobie Brothers and "Sister Golden Hair" by America about 50 times a piece. We thought we were so cool! haha

Other favorites were:
"Magic"-Pilot
"Someone Saved My Life Tonight"-Elton John
"Mandy" & "I Write The Songs"-Barry Manilow

(I got this album for Christmas in sixth grade...)


"Chevy Van"-Sammy Johns
"Wildfire"-Michael Martin Murphy
"Fallin' In Love"-Hamilton, Joe Frank, and Reynolds
"How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You"-James Taylor
"Kung Fu Fighting"-I gave this one to my boyfriend for Christmas! Oh my gosh, that makes me laugh just thinking about it! :)

1976-We moved to Charlotte and I was starting a whole new chapter in my life. When I hear any of these songs, I think about making new friends and going to a new church and wondering what my life was going to be like here in this new place.

"Sara Smile"-Hall and Oates
"Afternoon Delight"-Starland Vocal Band
"Oh What A Night"-Four Seasons
"Love Is Alive"-Gary Wright

"Love Rollercoaster"-there was a rumor going around that someone was murdered during the recording of this, so all us kids listened to it over and over trying to hear the scream!

"Let Your Love Flow"-Bellamy Brothers
"You're My Best Friend"-Queen
"Saturday Night"-Bay City Rollers-this was a favorite at the skating rink on Saturday nights! :)

So that takes me up junior high! I will have to do junior high through college another day! It was fun walking down memory lane!

11 comments:

Ginger said...

Hey there,
What a great trip down memory lane. So many fun songs from the past! I love this post. :)

Cindy said...

This was a great post. I love the idea of looking back at the playlist of your life. Very creative.

Melissa said...

What an awesome post! Very creative!!

Jacquie said...

This one and your "Dear Winter" posts are my absolute favorite posts of all time!! OMG, I could write the longest comment on this one. Since we were born the same year, my life in music is SO close to yours. I can't believe you can remember being 2 years old, though! Wow!

And Friday night was "popcorn night at the Goulet house" where we ate popcorn and watched The Partridge Family and The Brady Bunch back to back! That was prime time and we LOVED it!!

I remember me and my friend from across the street singing "Seasons in the Sun" in our school auditorium. We'd come out from behind the curtain and pretend we were stars. And my other friend from across the street was a HUGE Helen Reddy fan and we always played her stuff really loud and sang and danced.

Did you used to go to slumber parties and have dances, too??

Kelley said...

You are cracking me up - nice "Afternoon Delight" mention. Loved the pictures, too - especially the one of your dad. WOW!

Megan L Hutchings said...

What a creative post ;)! I think it would be a lot of fun if everyone participates!

Stacia said...

How neat, love this post. Chevy Van is an all time favorite of mine.

Julie said...

Your baby picture is just amazing!!! I loved seeing it. The picture of your dad with the Vietnamese child was wonderful. It is such a tender shot. I'm glad you put that on here.

Thanks for sharing! I lived with my grandparents a lot in high school so my "experience" with music was slim. Bryan knows way more than I do. I don't think I could make a playlist!! :)

Becky said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane...all the songs you mentioned takes me back to different parts of my life too. Can't wait for part two.

Heather said...

I love this post!! So cute! Btw.. I love Mrs. Meacham's site too!!!!

Meredith said...

I don't know how you remember all of that! wow! So fun.