Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I Love Surprises!

Last night Laura and I went out to dinner at one of our favorite places, Panera Bread. I love the soup and sandwiches there, but I also love their cozy atmosphere. They have big comfy chairs and a fireplace. It's a good place to eat on a winter night! As we were sitting there, Laura said, "Look outside! It's snowing!!" It was so pretty blowing all around the street lights. But I really didn't think much about it. We came home and watched American Idol and went to bed.

At 5:45 this morning, just as I was about drag myself out of bed, the phone rang with the happy news that school was cancelled! Wow...this is the second time this winter! That is so rare for us here in the south. So, today was an unexpected surprise. We barely got any snow at all really (just icy roads). But Laura and Lindy still have enough "kid" in them to want to go out and build a snowman anyway!! They are so cute. Here are some pictures of what they could do with barely any snow!

















I think they scooped up every bit of snow in our yard for this! haha

Next week is Valentine's Day. Even though I don't really make a huge deal out of Valentine's Day, I do love all the pink and red and hearts everywhere. We usually just go out to dinner somewhere and I get the kids some cute pajamas or jewelry or candy or something. But I was looking this week for Valentine's Day activities for my class and I found some really fun things to help make the day special, so I thought I would share them with you.

Look what I found...

I found these Valentine cookies on one of my favorite blogs, Blissfully Domestic. Aren't they cute?



And I also found a few more really good Valentine's Day ideas here...

Sassy Candy Cane Valentines

Super Cute Homemade Crayons...great Valentine's Day gift for kids

Valentines Teacher Gifts


And this doesn't have anything to do with Valentine's Day, but I found a yummy recipe on Le Petite Blog and I think I will definitely be trying it this week!! Here it is...

Crock Pot Chicken With Pineapple Salsa

3-6 skinless chicken breasts
1 can tidbit pineapple (drain the juice)
1 can black beans
1 32-ounce jar of mild to medium chunky style salsa
(I used less, probably about 16 oz.)

Place the thawed chicken breasts in the crockpot and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with warm tortillas or some rice. We top ours with sour cream. Leftovers can be served in a tortilla with fixings,this makes a great chicken burrito.

9 comments:

  1. Those are the cutest pictures... and their little snowman is adorable.

    As soon as I get power back - I want to try that yummy looking recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their snowman is cute! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! Thanks for the wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute little snowman! My little ones wanted to make one, but I didn't think we had enought snow. I guess your girls just proved me wrong!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures...great ideas! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday {late} Betsy!!! I LOVE This little snowman! :) Also so happy you posted the candycane hearts, I LOVE that idea and had it saved until my computer crashed now I have it again! THANK YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betsy,
    I have pics of a snowman that looks a lot like this one when Dak was about 6. It was his first. So cute!!!

    That recipe sounds yummee!! And those cookies so cute. But why do mine NEVER turn out like that?


    Have a Blessed evening friend,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some GREAT snowman pics, so cute! I remember in 1989 when it snowed in Beaufort and Rachel and I made a snowman...you have to really enjoy those few and far between snows down south! :) I can't wait to try that crockpot recipe, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That little snowman is ADORABLE :)!!!

    I hope that you have a great snow day!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)