Friday, February 27, 2009

A Gospel Choir And A Birthday Dinner

Recently we had a raffle at our school to raise money for more Smart Boards. Every teacher or grade level came up with something fun they could do with the students like go ice skating or spend an afternoon making cupcakes together. Then the students bought raffle tickets for whatever they wanted. For example, my friend Candy raffled off coming over to a student's house to read them a bedtime story. :) (She teaches kindergarten.)

Anyway...one of the things that was raffled off was tickets to a gospel choir concert. The choir is made up of teachers and staff.


Fifty students won tickets to the concert and guess who is in this gospel choir? Me! There are seven of us and I think it is going to be so much fun. Today was our first day to get together and pick out the songs we were going to sing. My sweet friend Jena, one of the teachers at our school, is the minister of music at her church (her husband is the pastor)...


and she had so many songs to pick from. I can't believe that we are going to able to sing songs like Shout To The Lord and Shackles at my school!! How great is that? Since it will be after school and it is voluntary, we are able to sing whatever we want. Tell me if this doesn't make you want to sing praise to God?



Tonight was my niece, Rebeccah's, 19th birthday, so she had a big group of friends and family get together at Olive Garden to celebrate. She is a freshman at Liberty University and she is such a sweet girl with a really wonderful group of girlfriends. Here are Ashley, Laura, and Lindy with the birthday girl.


We just heard on the news tonight that it is supposed to snow 3-6 inches here on Sunday. What on earth??? It will be March! That is against the rules. No snow allowed in March! haha I just don't want to have to make up any snow days on my spring break. My tickets to NYC have already been bought! I think God may have other plans. I will let you know what happens.

9 comments:

Denise K. said...

Oooohhh..a fellow teacher! Hooray! Our son's middle school just got smart boards and they are amazing! I really enjoyed seeing the tutorial of all the uses they have and I am excited for your school! Happy Teacher Appreciation, and on behalf of parents and fellow teachers, THANK YOU for all you do for your students! You are appreciated! With love from Colorado,
Denise :-)

Jacquie said...

The choir sounds like a lot of fun. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

We're supposed to get that snow tomorrow here! I hope it doesn't make us miss church!!

Melissa said...

I seem to remember March being a BIG snow month for us in years past. Can't you remember some good March snows? It's been several years since we've had a good snowstorm of more than 6 inches.

Rebecca Jo said...

I'll have that song in my head all day now...LOVE that song!!!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I LOVE that song by Mary Mary! Makes me wanna DANCE!

Smartboards are so cool...our school has a couple and I know they'd love to have more.

Snow? Yeah, we were in the 60s all week here and a front blew in yesterday and temps dropped 30 degrees it snowed (hard) for 3 hours. It stopped and hte sun came back out. That's typical for us. And I'd venture a guess that the crazy weather we had is headed your way!

MiMi said...

How exciting that you are going to be singing in the gospel choir! And "Shout To The Lord" and "Shackles" -- that's awesome! I think we need to see a video of this!

Christal said...

how fun the choir not the snow enough already with the snow eh!! How fun that you are in the choir! That is awesome! Have a great day!

Becky said...

How exciting that you're going to be in the choir. Have someone video it so you can share it with us.

Bless your heart, I hope you don't get the snow either. Enough is enough, come on spring!

Nancy said...

I doubt you'll have school tomorrow - it is snowing/sleeting as I type.

Enjoy the snow day!!!