Thursday, January 22, 2009

Show and Tell

I just wanted to share a few of the pictures that Laura and Lindy took while they were in Washington and tell you what they did while they were there. They had THE BEST time and were just jabbering on about it when they got home last night. It was such an historical event to be a part of and they said there was alot of excitement in the air.

They were actually on the news twice here in Charlotte and I TiVo'd it for them. (They had a news crew following their trip.) They did everything from visiting museums, Mt. Vernon, a night tour of Washington, attending an Inaugural Ball, Arlington National Cemetery, the Inauguration itself, plus more!

I think other than all the fun and excitement, the thing that stood out the most to them was how extremely COLD it was there. They stood outside for 8 hours on Inauguration Day and they said they literally couldn't feel their toes. All the fountains and lakes and even the Potomac River were frozen! They stood with all the other millions of flag-wavers about half way between the Capitol and the Washington Monument, so they watched everything on the Jumbotrons. They are so short it was hard for them to even see those, but they could hear everything!

Here are a few of their pictures (and I do mean few...they took about 300!).












One other thing they told me was that you have never seen so many porta-johns in your entire life. They had one porta-john for every 6000 people, though, so Laura and Lindy said they didn't go the whole day until they got back to their hotel that night!!! (Can you say disgusting??)

Today was kind of like a Friday for us because it is the end of the quarter and tomorrow is a work day. Wow...this has been a short week!

Ashley's roommate, Rachel, is getting married this Saturday! The wedding will be in her hometown of Beaufort, South Carolina, so we will be driving down on Saturday. I will tell you all about it when we get home!

Speaking of weddings, I will have to fill you in soon on what we've been up to with Ashley's wedding plans when I get some time!

Happy Friday!

11 comments:

Jacquie said...

What a great opportunity for the girls!!

I stood outside in the freezing cold to see Sarah Palin that day - and I know what you mean about cold toes!!!

Can't wait to hear Ashley's wedding plans.

Leigh Ann said...

So glad the girls had fun in DC. I'm sure they made some really great memories and how fun for sisters to get to experience together.

I can't wait to hear about Ashley's wedding. I know it will be spectacular.

Cindy said...

How awesome for the girls. They will never forgot that day!
My sister in law and her family live in Beaufort.
Have a great weekend!

Megan said...

Just passing through from other blogs. That is so cool that your daughters got to experience that historic day first hand!!! What a neat story they have!!!
Great pics!

Meagan said...

I am so glad your girls got to take that trip! They'll never forget that - it'll be something to tell their kids and grandkids!!!

I hope you have a safe trip this weekend! Can't wait to hear all the wedding news! :-)

Lauren said...

What a great opportunity! Such a special memory!

I love D.C... AND Mt. Vernon - So beautiful!

Rebecca Jo said...

What an awesome experience the girls must have had!!! The freezing toes dont sound like fun though.. & I heard about the porta-potty stats... I would have probably just held it too...

Deidre said...

I wish I would have known they were being followed by the news - I would have tuned in! What a great opportunity. No matter how anyone voted, it was neat to watch such an historic event.

petrii said...

Betsy,
I'm so glad the girls had fun. I just kept thinking that day when I'd see the TV that I "knew" two girls that were there. Isn't that funny. They looked adorable.

Can't wait to see pics of the wedding and hear more about Ashley's plans.

Have a Blessed weekend,
Dawn

MiMi said...

What an awesome experience for Laura and Lindy! I love all the pictures and I can't even imagine how cold they must have been!

Can't wait to hear about how Ashley's wedding plans are coming!

Have a great weekend, my friend!

Ginger said...

Hey there,
These pictures are great! How was the wedding? We were there last night at 8:15. We had to sit down front because there were no "gray" seats left! We didn't know there were different priced seats until we got in the theatre. Oh well, it was still good! Just a little close.