Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

I was so excited because this is what we woke up to this morning...


Woo hoo! I am just like a kid when it comes to snow! :) School was cancelled, so we got to sleep in and enjoy the day watching the Inauguration. I have been watching all the ceremonies and celebrations all day and feeling so patriotic. No matter who you voted for, it is such an historical event.



I loved seeing the huge crowds and all the flags waving.


I have been dying to talk to Laura and Lindy all day, but haven't been able to get through to them on their cell phones. I know they are FREEZING since they have been standing outside since 6:00 this morning, but this is something they will never forget! They were in that huge throng of people in front of the Capitol and now they are going to the parade. I hope they call soon, but I just heard on the news that the cell phone system in Washington has been taxed almost to the point of crashing. I probably won't hear from them until late tonight.

And, I have to say that the Obama girls are just precious. They are so patient and well behaved. I know there are lots of pros and cons about growing up in the White House. But I believe the Obamas will do all they can to keep them grounded.

I am also proud of the way our country transfers power. What other country in the world does this in such a peaceful and dignified way? That makes me so glad to be an American!

There are a couple of other things I wanted to share with you...

There is a new prayer blog for Harper Stamps.


If you would like to, you can go here to leave encouragement or a prayer for the Stamps family.


And Monogrammed Teacher is having a giveaway to celebrate her 100th post. Look what she's giving away!! Isn't this cute??



Go here if you'd like to enter!

17 comments:

Shannon said...

You are right....no matter who you voted for...I am proud to be an American.

Cute tote! I'll have to go enter!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

You got a snow day!!!!!!!!!!! Yippee!

And I totally agree about the Obama girls. My own two are close in age and it just makes me feel like I can relate to our president on a whole new level.

Jacquie said...

I can't imagine being in the midst of that crowd!!! Amazing!!

I, too, am proud to be an American... and pray for all of our troops who are fighting for our freedoms even as the new President takes his oath. It's a great country!

Ginger said...

Hey there,
It has been such a relaxing day...gotta love snow days.
I know that L&L have had a great time. How exciting!
Ginger :)

beth said...

Are we proud because we can spend so much money on a celebration when so many of our people are hurting? I don't get it.

The Obama girls are cute; that's a fact.

Betsy said...

Even though you may not agree with the extravagant amount of money being spent, I think we can all agree that we are blessed to live in such a wonderful country!

Angie said...

How fun a snow day today!! You are so lucky, I was hoping for a snow day here so we could all watch the inauguration together. Anyway, I hope Laura and Lindy had a great time, what a wonderful experience for them!!!

Heather said...

Hi Betsy! I just love your blog! How exciting that your girls went to the inauguration! I can't wait to hear about their trip. I teach at Glencliff Elementary in Metro Nashville Schools. Where did you teach? I posted the things I love that start with T :) Thanks for letting me play!

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

The snow looks like fun and I enjoyed watching history being made with my kids. God Bless America!

Michele said...

Hi! I live in Northeast Tennessee, about 3 1/2 hours from Charlotte. I love Charlotte! I always tell my husband that if we ever move, Charlotte is really high on my list!

Becky said...

I'm so glad you got a snow day. I always LOVED snow days when I worked at school!

Can't wait to hear about the girls trip to DC. Hopefully they will call you soon!

Nancy said...

Snow days are the best! Can't wait to hear all about your girls trip! What an exciting time to be in Washington.

Nancy said...

Snow days are the best! Can't wait to hear all about your girls trip! What an exciting time to be in Washington.

Rebecca Jo said...

It was pretty amazing to watch....

And gotta go enter for that give away - how cute!

Julie said...

You house is jus beautiful with the snow!!!! I'm so jealous!! I don't think we are going to get any snow at all in OK.

You echoed my thoughts regarding the Inauguration. It is good to live in America.

I hope your poor girls didn't freeze to badly! Can you image how the Metro system is!!!!

MiMi said...

Even though I'm not that far up the road from you - we got barely any snow and I still had to work!

Glad you got to enjoy it, though! It looks beautiful!

Amy said...

Just wanted to let you know that I mentioned your name and blog when I entered to win the bag. . .I think it gives you an extra entry because your blog sent me to her blog!

Be Blessed,

Amy (Honestly)