Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!!

It's officially 2009!! I love the hope and possibility that come with a new year!


Last night we had a very low-key New Year's Eve, but just perfect for me! All of our kids were busy. Ashley and John drove to Columbia to celebrate with some friends. Mark was at a party and so were Laura and Lindy. So....Steve and I decided to go out to dinner and a movie, then come back home and watch the ball drop with our pajamas on!

I had been hesitating to see Marley and Me because I knew it would be sad. But, several people I knew who saw it really liked it and encouraged me to go see it. So, we went to dinner and then we decided to give it a try. Oh my goodness....that was the BEST movie! I totally loved it.


I think what I liked about it so much is that it focuses on the relationship between the couple in the movie just as much as it does the dog story line. Plus, Marley is so much like my crazy dog, and I could really relate to that! Not only that, it takes place in South Florida where we spend so many of our vacations and time away! Steve's brother, Mike, lives in West Palm Beach and so many places in the movie were places we have been to or seen.

It was so ironic because I think most of you know that Mike had to put his lab, Ginger, to sleep not too long ago and she looked so much like Marley. Plus the movie takes place right where he lives! He should definitely NOT see this movie any time soon! I think it hits a little too close to home!

Anyway...I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it yet.

Today I took my tree down and put away all my Christmas stuff. I was sad to see it go, but I love how clean and uncluttered my house feels now. Tonight I am cooking a traditional New Years Eve dinner...pork tenderloin and rice with black eyed peas and collard greens (something like this).


Isn't that supposed to bring good luck??

I think we'll just watch some football and I am going to TRY to go to bed early since I have to go to work tomorrow very early. :( Tomorrow night is game night at my mom's house, so we are looking forward to that!

Enjoy your first day of 2009!

12 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    Sounds like a wonderful New Year's to me...low key and relaxing! Just the way to ring in 2009. We'll have to go see Marley and Me. We went to see Seven Pounds the other night...good, but I really love Will Smith! See ya tomorrow.

    Ginger :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Marley and Me "hit close to home" too. It was so REAL about starting a family and having a pet.

    We had black eyed peas today, too!

    I'm dreading Monday. All of our sleep schedules are off. How will we ever get to school on time???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Betsy!!! I hope your black-eyed peas were as good as ours!

    I haven't gotten the nerve up to see Marley and Me yet. I read the book and cried like a baby. I get really stressed out when I cry at the theater because I blubber out loud and it's REALLY embarrassing. I may have to save myself the embarrassment and rent it when it comes out. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the gamecocks today. :-(

    I loved "marley and me" - it was just so close to our life right now that it was super emotional for me. We came home and snuggled Dawson a lot more last night! ha!

    Hope you are enjoying your time out of school and that 2009 brings you amazing blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping to see "Marley and Me" this weekend. Thanks for the recommendation.

    Sorry you have to work tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just saw Marley and Me tonight! I just cried! Oh my! We loved it also! Happy new Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see that movie. We tried to go on Christmas eve, but the line was waaaay too long. Maybe we can go soon.

    I missed the ball dropping this year b/c several couples and were playing games after services at church. First time in several years I missed it, and it just didn't feel the same.

    Looking forward to many more blog posts in this 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see that movie. We tried to go on Christmas eve, but the line was waaaay too long. Maybe we can go soon.

    I missed the ball dropping this year b/c several couples and were playing games after services at church. First time in several years I missed it, and it just didn't feel the same.

    Looking forward to many more blog posts in this 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you enjoyed your time...

    You couldnt PAY me enough to go see that movie! I can't handle a story line with an animal dying. And we have a lab that looks just like her too.... cant do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I may need to wait until "Marley and Me" comes out on DVD so I don't embarrass myself at the theater.(-:
    I definitely want to see it, though.

    Sounds like you had a perfect New Years. I had my black-eyed peas and greens, too, so we'll see what happens?!?!

    I have so enjoyed getting to "know" you this year and I look forward to learning more about you and that sweet family of yours this year.

    Praying God's blessings on you and yours in 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went to see Marley and Me on Christmas day - I LOVED it too! I loved it because it was really a story of their life in different stages, not just another "dog movie" ya know? Very cute, and although sad, it was still a feel-good movie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to see Marley and Me so bad....I'm having a hard time convincing my husband. :)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)