Saturday, December 27, 2008

What Can You Do With $50?

Around Thanksgiving, I decided to try something new with my kids. I gave them each $50 and told them that they could spend it any way they wanted as long as they used it to help someone in need this Christmas. It couldn't be a friend...it had to be someone who really needed it. I told them to keep it a secret until Christmas and then we would share it together.

It was so much fun to go around on Christmas Day and hear what they each did!

Ashley decided to use hers to donate to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. I love this hospital because of all it does in the area of medical research...not to mention that all patients accepted there are treated regardless of their family's ability to pay.



Mark chose to give his money to the V Foundation for cancer research. Of course, this means alot to us since Jim Valvano was the coach at NC State when Steve was in college there.



Laura left a $50 tip for the waiters at La Unica where we eat probably about once a week!! They work so hard and I know they appreciated the extra Christmas money! I saw the girl that picked up the tip and she had the biggest smile on her face. :)



Lindy decided to buy toys at Wal-Mart and take them to the kids in the hospital at the Hemby Children's Hospital.


Steve went with her and they took the toys up there personally.

When Lindy was about four months old, she got pneumonia and had to be in the hospital for about a week at Christmas time. It was so sad. We were blessed to be able to go home before Christmas day, but I felt so sorry for the families that didn't know when they would ever be able to leave! I remember that the Charlotte Hornet (the mascot from our pro basketball team at the time) came up to the hospital and gave Lindy a stocking with toys in it. I thought that was so sweet. So hopefully the toys she brought with her helped brighten someone's Christmas!

What can you do with $50? You can make someone's Christmas a little merrier!

15 comments:

Pam said...

What a wonderful idea! We do so many things as a family for people we know but the idea of doing it at random is awesome.
Thanks for the idea.

Angie said...

How sweet!! What a great idea, I want to try that with my kids when they are a little older.

Lauren said...

Oh my word - I literally have tears in my eyes! That is so sweet! What a neat idea! Absolutely precious! I think seeing your children have a servents heart (no matter the age) is one of the most rewarding things. I'm going to have to remember this for when my babies get older!

Leigh Ann said...

What a wonderful idea. I'm sure those that you gave to had a great time telling of the kindness of strangers. Just awesome.

Jenny said...

This is such a wonderful idea! What a great way to instill in your kids that Christmas is more about giving than getting!

Jacquie said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that idea!! I wish I'd thought of that...

Rebecca Jo said...

Oh my goodness... I love that! And love that each had a different idea!!!! What sweet hearts they have!

Rebecca Jo said...

Oh my goodness... I love that! And love that each had a different idea!!!! What sweet hearts they have!

Christal said...

Betsy what a beautiful idea I love it and love what your kids did with it and learned from it! You are the worlds best mom!! When my kids are older I want to do that. Hope you have a great week this week! ttys thanks for all your inspiration!

Ginger said...

This is a wonderful idea Betsy! I love it.

petrii said...

What a GREAT idea!!!!! I may have to try this next year with Dak.

I love this kind of giving. Our neighbors donated in our name to an organization that provides chickens to third world countries for food. Such great ideas.

Have a Blessed day,
Dawn

Megan L Hutchings said...

Sweet Betsy ~
I loved reading all of your posts from the holidays ;). It looks like you were surrounded by family, friends, and lots of love. I think it is so sweet that you all get together and read The Night Before Christmas!!!

Your $50 idea is brilliant and I loved reading what each one did with their money ;). Your children are extremely thoughtful...just like you!

Meagan said...

That is an amazing idea... I love it!!!!! You inspire me!

Julie said...

That was a great idea!!! It was so neat to see how your children used their money for others. What a neat tradition to start in our own family!

Nancy said...

Wonderful idea! I'm going to do this next year. Thanks for sharing.