Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Operation Christmas Child

It has all of a sudden turned from freezing cold to really warm and rainy here! It almost feels like spring, but I think a cold front is coming behind the rain?

We got a very early and not so much fun start to the day today. About 5:00 I could hear Rocky's collar jingling in his crate like he was freezing or something so I told Steve to go let him out so he could jump up in bed with us. He went and opened his crate and Rocky took about three steps then threw up all over the floor! Uuuggh! By the time we let him out and cleaned everything up I couldn't go back to sleep and it was practically time to get up anyway.

Tonight we went and worked at Operation Christmas Child, which is part of Franklin Graham's ministry, Samaritan's Purse. Here is a picture of me and my friend, Katie.


It is located in a HUGE warehouse where they process shoe boxes full of toys and gifts for children all over the world. The boxes are sent in from all over the United States and we go through them to make sure they are safe for shipping. Just today over 90,000 boxes were processed!

This is just a tiny part of this warehouse!


We had a group from our Sunday School class that worked together and it was so sweet. I wish you could see the love and care that is put into each of those boxes. People are so generous and buy the cutest and sweetest things for children they will never meet. They write them letters and send family pictures.


There was Christmas music playing over the loud speakers and they even stop us once in a while to play games with the whole gigantic group of people there. So, we had a good time. I wish I could see where the boxes we packed were going! That would be so much fun to watch those children opening their boxes.

I hope somehow they will feel the love God has for them just through receiving something that was put together with so much care and thoughtfulness!

8 comments:

Pam said...

How exciting to work with all the boxes sent in. We send boxes every year and I would love to see the children receiving them too! Thanks for working to get them shipped out!
Pam

Rebecca Jo said...

Our church does the Operation Christmas Child too... I wish there was a warehouse near us so I could help there too - I bet that is so exciting!

Megan L Hutchings said...

What a wonderful ministry and great time ;)! How could you not be in the Christmas Spirit listening to carols over loud speakers...so much fun!

Julie said...

That is so neat you were able to serve in this way. Our church gathered some of the boxes to send your way. I think our church collected about 919.

It was neat to see the pictures of the warehouse!!

petrii said...

I love this charity. It is one of my favorites.

Thank you for volunteering your time to such a great organization.

Have a Blessed day,
Dawn

Jacquie said...

I love that you get to help on that end of things at Samaritan's Purse. I just KNEW when you showed the box contents that it would be one of the ones I packed! Ha!

I agree - I'd like to be able to see the children's faces when they receive their gifts!

Becky said...

What a wonderful charity to be involved in. Wish I could have been there to help!

MiMi said...

Such a great charity! I am sure that it is a very rewarding experience to get to help get all the boxes out! Thanks for giving of yourself to help make that all possible.