Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Looking Back at 2008

Can you believe 2008 is almost over??? I am always amazed at the end of the year at how fast the time has flown. I just started blogging this year and I am so glad because I can go back and look at the year and remember all the things we did and all the ups and downs. I saw a list of questions on another blog today and I thought I would answer some of them as we are bringing this year to a close....

1. What did you do in 2008 that you've never done before?
Tried an Indian restaurant, went to a Michael Buble concert, attended Joy Prom, went to the beach with just my girls, learned how to use a Smart Board, started blogging!!


2. Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions and will you make more for next year? Haha...Steve and I were just saying that neither one of us could even remember what our New Years Resolutions WERE from last year! That's sad. You start out with the best intentions, but time goes by and you forget about them. I do plan on making new ones this year, though. And this time I am writing them down and putting them somewhere that I can see them often! :)

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No...but someone close to me is pregnant! My sister-in-law, Britney! She is having a little girl in May!


And some good friends of ours that have been having so much fertility trouble are now pregnant with twin boys!

4. Did anyone close to you die? No, thankfully! God has been so good.

5. What places have you visited? Let's see...this year we went to Washington, D.C.,


West Palm Beach, Florida,


and Myrtle Beach. We did a little less traveling than we have in the past. Gas prices were so high this summer!!

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? Less stress and more down time!

7. What date from 2008 will remain etched in your memory and why? That's easy! August 16th when we took Mark to college...


and October 10th when Ashley got engaged!


A sad day and a happy day...

8. What was your biggest acheivement this year? Hmmm...this isn't really that big, but learning to use a SmartBoard was something new that I had never tried and now I am getting pretty good at it!

9. Did you suffer illness or injury? Yes, I had a terrible case of the full-blown flu last winter. Fever, chills, throat on fire, etc... NOT FUN!

10. What was the best thing you bought? I went out and bought myself a little digital camera that I could keep in my purse and I use it all the time!! I love my big Nikon, too. But this one is just so quick and easy.

11. Where did most of your money go? College tuition, car insurance, and groceries! That's what you get for having so many teenagers! :)

12. What song will always remind you of 2008? Hmmmm...that's a hard one since I listen to so much music all the time! But I know that whenever I hear "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis or "No Air" by Jordin Sparks, I will think of 2008 since we heard both of those so much! And as far as country, I LOVED Keith Urban's "You Look Good In My Shirt"! But Steve and I both loved Montgomery Gentry's "Lucky Man". I know that is a little older than 2008, but we still listened to it alot this year. And, of course, pretty much our theme song this year was "You're Gonna Miss This"!

(Just a side note- My girls listened to alot of Taylor Swift this year! They were playing around with their friends and having fun the other night and they made a replica of Taylor Swift's album cover. Isn't this funny??)




13. What do you wish you would have done more of? I wish I would have had time for more Bible study, excercise, and reading for fun. I have never read the Bible all the way through, but my friend Nancy mentioned a Bible on her blog called The One Year Chronological Bible. I thought this would be an interesting way to accomplish the goal of reading the whole Bible through in one year! I wish I would have been able to spend more time with Steve, too! Plus, I wish I would have gotten more sleep.

14. What do you wish you would have done less of? Probably spending too much time on work and worrying about my kids. I'm not a HUGE worrier, but sometimes I fall into that trap and I don't know why. God always takes care of us!

15. What was your favorite TV program? Well, I don't watch too much TV, but I loved American Idol and I always watch The View. Steve and I also watched The Amazing Race this year. Other than that, I normally just watch news-type shows. I wish I could find a good drama that I liked!

16. What was the best book you read this year? I wish I had more time to read!! I did read The Kite Runner this year and loved it!!


17. What was your favorite film of the year? Probably 21! I thought that was fun and entertaining.


18. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? I turned 44 this year.


I had such a wonderful birthday and was so spoiled. You can read about it all here.

19. What political issue stirred you the most? The whole election!! I was glued to the TV all summer and up until the election. What a historical event that was!

20. Who was the best new person you met? All my blogging friends! I would have never guessed that I would get to know so many sweet and wonderful people! :)

We are so blessed. Every year God gives us so many blessings in our lives. 2008 probably wasn't our BEST year ever just because of some of the stresses we have been under. Steve's job hasn't gone too well this year and I have been working really hard, so we are excited for a new beginning and the fresh start you get with every new year. But I can't complain. We have a wonderful family, our health, sweet friends, and every need we have is met. I am thankful for all God has given us!

I hope you have the BEST year in 2009!!!! Happy New Year!!!

11 comments:

Angie said...

Love this post! What a great way to look back on your year!! I am going to do this on my blog.
Happy New Year!!

Jacquie said...

What a great post, Betsy. It's hard to believe another year has come and gone. I've enjoyed getting to know you and your family in 2008. I hope 2009 is filled with blessings for the Maddox family!!

PS - I LOVE the album cover! How cool is that?

Becky said...

Hey Betsy; Happy New Year!!!! I loved this post....I really enjoyed reading about your past year and have enjoyed reading your blog this year and getting to know you.

petrii said...

Betsy,
What a GREAT list!! You have done a lot of fun things this past year. So glad we have gotten to know each other a little this past year (my first blog year as well), and look so forward to getting to know you better in 2009.

God Bless you and your family,
and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Dawn

Rebecca Jo said...

Love this insight of the past year!!!!

I too think of "Bleeding Love" as a big song for the year... makes me want to go listen to it right now...

and is that an "in the moment" picture of your daughter getting engaged? If so - that's a fantastic picture!!!

Christal said...

This is an awesome post I've been looking for something to sum everything up so if you don't care I'm going to use these questions! Happy NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOUR FAM TOO!!
I love the laura quick cover that is awesome so funny I got that cd for christmas its a good one eh! Well can't believe this year is done crazy times!!! ttys

Melissa said...

Hey! I love reading your blog. I think I found it on Kelly's a while back. I'm also a teacher. You have such a neat family, I like reading about your adventures together!! Happy New Year!!

Faith said...

What a great re-cap! 2008 has certainly been a busy, but great, year for your family! Praying God's blessings on 2009 for y'all!

P.S. I so want to get Photoshop Elements...have you enjoyed using it?

Lauren said...

This was fun to read... I may have to "steal" it from ya! Looking forward to seeing/reading what 2009 has in store for your sweet family! Happy New Year!

Lauren said...

Happy New Year Betsy!

Meagan said...

wonderful post! I love reading about your 2008 recap - it's been a busy and eventful year! I count "meeting" you one of my biggest blessings of 2008 and I cant wait for another year of blogging together!!