Sunday, December 7, 2008

It's The Busiest Season Of All!

Whew! I am already feeling the Christmas craziness beginning to kick in. haha It is all so much fun, but it sure does keep you hopping, doesn't it??

Friday night Steve and I went to dinner at Thai Taste and had a quick little date night. We love that place!

Saturday I spent most of the day running errands, but I did get a chance to try something new that I have been wanting to learn how to do...digital scrapbooking! I was so excited. I had never done it before and had no clue how to do it, so I just sat and played around with it and figured it out! I have always been a scrapbooker, but this is so fun and really so much quicker than regular scrapbooking once you get the hang of it! I wish I could apply what I have learned to my blog though. Does anyone know how to put new background paper on your blog from a digital kit? I could figure out how to make a new header, but I couldn't figure out the background paper??? If you have any quick tips, e-mail me!! :)

It is actually pretty calm at our house today. We had our church Christmas musical this morning which was so beautiful and a great way to really focus on the true meaning of the season! And now I am listening to another one of my very favorite Christmas cd's that I forgot to list on an earlier post. It is the Michael W. Smith Christmas cd. So pretty!


This week is going to be very busy. Wednesday night our Sunday School class is going to work at Samaritan's Purse on packing boxes for Operation Christmas Child.


Thursday night I am taking dinner to a friend who just had open heart surgery and then Steve and I are getting together with three other couples who were some of our best friends in high school to go out for our annual Christmas dinner.

Saturday night is our Sunday School Class Christmas party.

This week at school we are doing a Holidays Around The World unit. I am excited because my country is Germany, which happens to be where we got the tradition of the Christmas tree, the gingerbread man, and the advent wreath! I will have the opportunity to explain the real meaning of Christmas to every single child in second grade since they will all rotate to me. I tell the whole Christmas story and use this book to show the illustrations.


It is the most gorgeous book. I wish I could show you how realistic each illustration in the book is. If you ever see it around, take a minute to look at it.

I read one of my very favorite Christmas stories to my class this week. It is by Cynthia Rylant and it is called Silver Packages.

It is the sweetest story of a little boy who grows up in the Appalachian mountains and is very poor and how, because of the kindness of one man, he feels indebted to repay this act of kindness when he grows up to become a doctor.


And since I'm listing my favorite Christmas books, I want to add these to the list. I love them and read them every year!







I need to get going with some heavy duty Christmas shopping this week! The hardest part is getting a list from everyone so I can start! Have you started your Christmas shopping yet?

12 comments:

  1. Hey girl! If you figure out how to use scrapbook backgrounds on the blog, let me know! I used scrapblog.com to make my headers, but I can't figure out the background part! :-)

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE storybooks about Christmas! I got that from my mom I think. So, my favorite is The Tale of Three Trees and if you don't have it you HAVE to get it because it is AMAZING!!!!! Gives me chills every time I read it and the illustrations are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you are a BUSY girl!!! I know you are enjoying every minute! It all sounds so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm tired just reading about what all you have planned for this week!

    How wonderful that you have an opportunity to tell the Christmas story to your 2nd grade students. They are so blessed to have you for a teacher!

    Thank you so much for the beautiful Christmas card. I have it on my fridge where I can remember to pray for you and your precious family every time I look at it.

    I hope you have a wonderful week and try to fit in some rest somewhere in this busy, busy time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Christmas Book suggestions! I just love the Crippled Lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are busy! How great that you get to help at Samaritan's Purse!!!

    I have a collection of Christmas books, too. I used to read them to the boys every night during the Christmas season. Oh, makes me miss those days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Betsy! I love the Michael W. Smith Christmas cd! He has another one too..do you have that one? Oh and I LOVE the Crippled Lamb and The Polar Express. Oh so good! I havent heard of the other two. We'll have to check them out! Well as you are busy, just have fun celebrating Christmastime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a busy girl, but I love the positive attitude you always keep ;)!

    I wish so badly that Vance could have you as a teacher! Please move here in a couple of years so that could happen ;). I LOVE Christmas Books and you have given me some great ideas for some new ones!!!

    I got your Christmas Card yesterday and LOVED it ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a busy week, and love all the books! I love Polar Express as well! Happy Monday and have a great rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree. It's one of my favorite Christmas books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am finishing up my shopping tonight. I've told Bryan I'm not coming home until it's done!!

    I loved looking through this list of books. It makes me want to buy some of them and set them out at Christmas time. I love books!

    Enjoy this week and I hope you rest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Friend,

    I love Silver Packages, The Crippled Lamb and The Polar Express. All great books. You have a busy week! All sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the storybooks. I need to get the first one you mentioned. Sounds like a tear jerker!

    We have most of our shopping done, but I still have some left. It seems like the little things like stocking stuffers always get me in the end!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)