Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thankfulness

Yay...I love Saturdays!!! I have been looking forward to sleeping late all week this week since every day I get up so early and usually go to bed pretty late. This morning Lindy made blueberry muffins for us which was so nice to wake up to. Then Steve, Laura, and I headed to Target buy gifts for our Angel Tree at church (Lindy had to work today).





Everything is so Christmasy and festive. I am getting so ready for the holidays! Plus it is REALLY cold here...last night it got down to 16 degrees! Brrrrr! I really want to get out all the Christmas decorations, but I need to wait until after Thanksgiving and focus on one holiday at a time. I DID decide to go ahead and decorate my blog for Christmas, though! :)

I bought our turkey today. That big boy is now sitting in the refridgerator thawing out. I wanted to make sure I bought it early enough this year. I've had to thaw him out in the bathtub before when I didn't start thawing him early enough! ;)


Steve and I were remembering last Thanksgiving today. On Thanksgiving morning, Rocky tore up a chew toy and started to eat the squeaker out of it. Steve tried to get it out of his mouth and cut his finger on Rocky's tooth and had to go to the emergency room to get stitches! Mark drove him and we were all sitting around waiting for him to get back to start our Thanksgiving dinner! That was crazy!

This week has been very interesting for me because for some reason, I have had the continent of Africa put before me three different times...all in such special and touching ways.

First of all, at our school, each grade level chooses a country or continent to focus on for the year. Second grade's continent is Africa, so this week we had a woman who had been there several times come talk to the kids about Africa. She brought so many beautiful pictures and clothes and artifacts. I truly enjoyed it.

Then, yesterday, a sweet mom who grew up in South Africa came and talked about her country and how needy the children are there.



We are doing a fund raiser for an orphanage there and she had us all in tears talking about how we should be so thankful for all we have. That is so true. She said that in Johannasburg, South Africa, that there are approximately 100 babies abandoned every week!!!


That is why orphanges there are just overflowing. The orphange we are raising money for is run by TLC Ministries. I am excited about supporting them.

And then, last night, we started our Missions Emphasis weekend at church and the Daraja Children's Choir of Africa came to sing.


They are from Kenya. Oh my goodness...they were just a blessing. They were adorable and so full of energy and praise to the Lord. I loved hearing them!!


It's hard to really get the impact of what I'm talking about when you haven't seen them in person, but they are all orphans and many of their parents have died of AIDS and yet they are still so joyful and happy. It was a really wonderful night.

I know we have so much here in America and I want to be sure I don't take those things for granted. Hearing about all these children in Africa this week has really made me focus on Thanksgiving and all that I have to be thankful for!

4 comments:

  1. It is "beginning to feel a lot like Christmas", isn't it?

    My first thought was... Maybe God's calling you to take a mission to Africa???

    I think I've seen that children's choir on TV and cried watching them. (If it's the same one.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy I have visited your blog a few times...and can't remember if I ever left you a comment! I just wanted to say I absolutely love your blog! I would love to go to South Carolina someday. It is beautiful! Come see me at my blog sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy,
    I love your new blog look ~~ so cute!! MMMM Turkey!!! Hubby just went to buy our this morning. Just a turkey breast this year. Still . . . yummee!!

    Have a Blessed week,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turkey is one big bird...lol! The visual of you thawing it in the tub cracked me up ;).

    It is really amazing how God puts something on our hearts in his own special way. Perhaps a trip to Africa is in your future ;)!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)