Monday, November 10, 2008

Home of the Brave

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis


Tomorrow is Veteran's Day. Today I read a really good book to my class called The Wall by Eve Bunting.


It is the story of a little boy and his dad visiting the Viet Nam Memorial in Washington, D.C. I almost got a little teary reading it and my whole class was completely silent. You could have heard a pin drop! I think it helped them understand the meaning behind Veteran's Day a little better. I am so thankful for all the veterans in our country (including my dad!)

We don't have school tomorrow which is soooooo wonderful!! We had planned on taking a trip to Boone to tour Appalachian State University. But Lindy has been sick and we were really busy this weekend, so we changed our minds. We will sleep in instead and maybe spend the whole day in pajamas and being lazy! Sounds like a good day to me!

7 comments:

  1. Have a good day off!! We don't get Veteran's Day off up here, but we do get a whole week off for Thanksgiving. Have fun being lazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besty,
    That sounds like a fun day. Hope Lindy is feeling better soon.

    Blessings to you,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl! I hope Lindy is feeling better and I really hope y'all enjoyed your day off! We had to go to school today, but we got election day off, so I can't complain! Can't wait to hear about your lazy day at home!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing about the book. Hope y'all had a great girl's day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How great that you read that to your class! I hope that Dawson has a teacher like you one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your photo collage! I think it's great that you read that story to your class to help them understand the meaning of Veteran's Day. I wish we had more teachers like you! (-:

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)