Monday, October 20, 2008

Three Good Things

Last week I saw a recipe for apple dumplings that I had been thinking about making all week long, but never had a minute. So I was planning on making them this weekend. Then Saturday night, we went over to Steve's parents' house and guess what she had made?? Apple dumplings!! And oh...my...gosh!!! They were so good. So yesterday I came right home and made the same ones she made. They are out of a family recipe book that we both have. These babies are melt in your mouth delicious! I promise you will NOT be disappointed if you try them.


Apple Dumplings

2 medium golden delicious or granny smith apples
1 pkg. refrigerated Crescent rolls (which make anything taste good!)
1 cup sugar
1 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick butter

Peel apples and cut into 8 pieces, removing the seeds. Wrap each piece of apple with one triangle shaped crescent roll, making sure that the apple is completely covered. Place dumplings in casserole dish. Set aside.

Combine sugar, butter, and orange juice in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until sugar dissolves and mixture bubbles. Pour the heated mixture over the dumplings. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 350, uncovered, until golden brown...usually about 20 minutes. Serve warm, topped with Cool Whip or vanilla ice cream.


Steve and I finally got to go see Fireproof yesterday afternoon.


I really liked it! I love Kirk Cameron. We actually got to go hear him speak a few years ago and got to meet him in person. What a great guy! The movie definitely used lots of local people who probably aren't professional actors, but it was still such a sweet story. I would recommend it just because it was so uplifting and encouraging. I was reading a little bit of background on it and did you know that Kirk Cameron has made a commitment not to kiss any other woman other than his wife? So, in the last scene of the movie, they dressed his wife up like his wife in the movie and they did the last kissing scene in silhouette so he could keep this commitment. I thought that was kind of neat. It was a great Sunday afternoon movie!

Also...I got these little potpourri packets at Kirkland's recently in the Orange Clove scent...


They make your house smell like heaven! If you have a Kirkland's nearby, you should try these. They smell soooo good!

13 comments:

Tami said...

I have heard excellent reviews of Fireproof. Unfortunately, it is not showing in our town. So we will have to wait for it to be available on Netflix.

Angie said...

I really want to see Fireproof, but it's not playing in our town! I guess I am going to wait until it comes out on DVD.
The Apple Dumplings look amazing, I am going to have to try those!
I like your new background!

Kelly said...

That's neat about Kirk Cameron not wanting to kiss anyone but his wife - that's really something!
Hope you had a good Monday!

petrii said...

Betsy,
First off I LOVE THIS BACKGROUND ~~ SO CUTE!!!!! If I were to just pull it up and see it, it would remind me of you :o)

Those Apple Dumplings look sooooo good. I may have to make those for my boys!!

Have a Blessed week, Dawn

Megan L Hutchings said...

My mouth is absolutely watering after reading that recipe...YUMMY!

I have heard a lot of great things about Fireproof and would LOVE to see it ;)!

Julie said...

I'm glad you liked the movie. I had heard Kirk Cameron made that commitment and then wondered about the kiss in the last scene. I didn't realize it was his wife! How neat.

Christal said...

Yumm that recipe looks so so good! Can't wait to watch the movie either hadn't heard about it yet but look forward to it what great morals he has eh!
You should have a contest -giveaway for the orange clove scent but then I should win it ha ha! We don't have kirtland's up here but they did in florida when we were there went there a few times! w/o kids so they didn't break anything ha ha! hope your having a great week! ttys

Meagan said...

Hey girl! I've missed your blog this week... not because you've been missing, but because I've been so busy!!!!

This recipe looks so good and SO great for fall weather! Mmmm... certainly going to give it a try!

Jacquie said...

Those Apple Dumplings look soooo YUMMY!!

I'm glad you liked Fireproof. I loved it. I'm doing the Love Dare now, slowly, but surely.

Holly said...

YUM those look so good! Thanks for the recipe! I LOVE all things that make my house smell good! :)

Laurin R. Kelly said...

I love Kirk too! I have been trying to see Fireproof now for forever and still there isn't a theater here on the island that plays that movie! Makes me sad!

The apple dumplings look so tasty! Yummy in my Tummy!

MiMi said...

Love your new background! Those dumplings look delicious and I will definitely be giving these a try!

Thanks for sharing!

Scrapper Mom said...

I love Kirk Cameron. He was like my best teen idol. lol.

I want to see the movie soooo bad, but I'm not sure where it is playing. Maybe we can find a place soon!