Friday, October 17, 2008

Football and Fair Fun!

We had such a good time on our little two day trip to Raleigh. We left after school on Thursday and drove to the NC State vs. Florida State game. It just so happens that the North Carolina State Fair is in Raleigh this week, too, so the traffic was pretty crazy!! We had a really hard time finding a place to park and a few minor mishaps, but we finally got to the game and it was a perfect night. The weather was great and even though State lost, we just had fun hanging out and cheering the Wolfpack on! Here are a few pictures of us at the game:









This morning we didn't wake up until almost 9:00! It was so dark and cozy in our hotel room and we must have been tired! We drove to the NC State campus and ate at Brueggar's Bagels for breakfast (one of Laura and Lindy's favorites!) Then we took Laura and Lindy on a campus tour.

Let me give you a little background here. Steve went to NC State and his freshman year, 1983, was the year the Pack won the National Championship in basketball!




It was an unforgettable time really...just lots of excitement and energy on campus along with tons of school spirit. The Pack's theme song that year was Duran Duran's "Hungry Like The Wolf" and today when we were driving onto campus, that song came on the radio!! It was like reliving those college days all over again.

Our first stop was to see our neighbor, Kelsey. Her dorm is super nice and she was sweet enough to invite us up to her room so Laura and Lindy could see it. She has it decortated so cute, too.



Next we were off to the bookstore. Laura and Lindy bought some Wolfpack t-shirts.



Then we just spent time touring around campus. We walked alot! Here are some of the pictures we took.

This is a cool tunnel that goes underground on campus. Everyone always paints graffiti all over it.



This was just such a pretty view, I wanted a picture of Steve and Lindy in front of it! :)



The famous NC State bell tower. The bells toll every hour. They are so pretty!


For lunch, we ate at a Red, Hot, and Blue on campus.




After that, we headed off the the State Fair. When our kids were little, we lived in Raleigh, and we went to the State Fair every year. It was so much fun and the kids loved it!! But it has been a while since we went. I think our favorite part was all the cute animals...cows and pigs and goats and horses!! I love seeing who wins all the blue ribbons in crafts like quilting and canning, too! Here are some of our pictures...

I love cows. They have the sweetest faces!



These pumpkins were GIGANTIC!!



This pumpkin weighed over 600 pounds! Can you imagine this growing in your garden??



Here are just a FEW of the yummy treats at the fair. Oh my goodness...there is so much food it is unbelievable!



The last thing we did was take another college tour of Elon Univeristy on our way back home. I was really impressed. Laura and Lindy like it alot, too!

Now we are back home and settled in for the night. Tomorrow we are going to a Sunday School get together for most of the day. I hope the weather is good...it has gotten really chilly here!

Lots to share later about that!

7 comments:

Deidre said...

The game traffic while the State Fair is going on is terrible.

I love going to State games. Eric graduated from there. Here's a little trivia - he was a cheerleader there (won 2 National Championships) and was there the year Jim Valvano gave that "Never Give Up" speech at the basketball game. When you see videos of that speech, my Eric is standing right behind him. Pretty cool.

I LOVED living in Raleigh. That's where we lived when we first got married (well, Wake Forest, actually). It's such a nice place :)

Kelly said...

Oh that sounds so fun!!! I bet Laura and Lindy LOVED the college tours - what a great time of life for them!!!

MiMi said...

Looks like ya'll had a great trip despite all the terrible traffic. You got some amazing photos and I don't know which one is my favorite. I love them all!

How neat that Laura and Lindy got to tour the college campuses with ya'll. These are special days in their lives.

I LOVE the State Fair, too, but haven't gotten to go in a few years. My husband and I also love the livestock. So sweet! And a 600+ pound pumpkin? Unbelievable! Thanks for giving me a little "taste" of the Fair.

Have a great time at your Sunday School get-together!

Faith said...

That looks like so much fun!! I wish we had made it to the state fair this year.

Today has been BEAUTIFUL!!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

My parents lived in Raleigh for several years and I thought it was just beautiful there! I loved visiting.

Looks like a great time! Your family is beautiful!

petrii said...

Betsy,
What beautiful pictures. So nice to be able to spend the day with the girls touring colleges and state fairing it ~~ Yee Haw (okay I'm from MO :o)

That pumpkin is HUGE ~~ I wonder how big the seeds are inside?

Have a Blessed evening,
Dawn

Megan L Hutchings said...

I think that it is so neat that Steve still has ties to NC State ;). It looks like a very unique, beautiful campus. What an exciting time in the girls' lives ;)!