Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Carving A Pumpkin

Last night Steve had a Guys Night at our house and he had about 9-10 guys over to hang out and play ping-pong and video game basketball, etc. So Laura and Lindy and I decided to have a girls night out! We went to On The Border for dinner then headed to the "Pumpkin Patch" to get our pumpkin. He was HUGE (and heavy)!! I think it's the biggest one we've ever gotten, but he was so round and cute, he was just calling our name! :) Then we ran by Wal-Mart to pick up our candy. We have so many trick-or-treaters in our neighborhood, I always get tons of candy!



Tonight we got around to carving the pumpkin. I did the carving and Laura and Lindy scooped him out and drew the face. Here are a few of our pictures:








This is what our happy pumpkin looked like when we were done!



He is now sitting on the front porch ready for Friday night!

If you want to go a little fancier...you could try these glittery pumpkins that I saw on Martha Stewart's website. I thought they were really pretty.


Here's how to make them!

Tools and Materials
Small pumpkins
Glitter (colors used in today's segment):
54. Sedona Sun
56. Pumpkin
72. Pink Champagne
61. New Penny
58. Brown
59. Teak
Paintbrush
Craft glue
Paper plate or newspaper
Brown acrylic paint

Glittered Pumpkins How-To
1. With a paintbrush, spread glue over the surface of a small pumpkin. Place pumpkin on a paper plate or newspaper to catch excess glitter.

2. Sprinkle powder glitter over glue, covering completely. Let dry for an hour, then shake off excess powder.

3. Coat stem with brown acrylic paint, let dry. Once dry, the stem can also be done in brown glitter.


Tips
- It's easiest to do half the pumpkin and sprinkle with glitter, let dry, and continue other half.
- There's no need to completely cover the bottom, since it's not seen.
- Also, it's fine if your pumpkin has marks or mild blemishes, since you will be covering it with glitter.


Resources
Martha used Ultrafine Opaque and Ultrafine Pearlescent glitter, available at artglitter.com.You can buy Sobo glue in most craft or fabric stores, or at deltacrafts.com. For more great crafting products, visit marthastewartcrafts.com.

13 comments:

Meagan said...

Nice carving skills! ;-)

Love the pumpkin... don't you just love this time of year? So fun!

Becky said...

I miss those carving the pumkpin days :(

Kelly said...

That pumpkin turned out great!!! So cute that ya'll did that!
P.S. Your blog looks so cute!

Cindy said...

We're actually doing a version of the glitter pumpkin at preschool tomorrow. They turn out sooooo pretty.
Your pumpkin looks cute. :)

Julie said...

I love your new blog look!! The colors are great!

Your pumpkin looks so good. I'm feeling a little bad now that I didn't put out much effort on the ones I bought for Katie! :(

p.s. I ate lunch at On The Border and I'm still miserable at 9:20 at night!!! But it was good at the time!

Jacquie said...

Your pumpkin turned out so cute. We used to paint pumpkins, but we haven't done much carving.

Deidre said...

Love the pumpkin - great job!

I am so behind. I've got to get in gear today and get us a pumpkin to carve :)

Megan L Hutchings said...

Your family is so talented ;)! I would love to bring Vance by your house to trick or treat ;)!

Jen - Balancing beauty and bedlam said...

Just found your blog and have enjoyed my browse. Such fun you guys had. I need to get out our carvers, and make a night of it. :)

Scrapper Mom said...

We've got our big one to carve too...and we've got to do it soon or we'll miss Halloween!! lol.

Leigh Ann said...

Very cute pumpkin! I like the happy ones...not the scary ones.

petrii said...

WOW that is GREAT!! Our pumpkin in still sitting on our front porch uncarved ~~ yes it is Friday ~~ but it looks so great just sitting there.

Did you roast the pumpkin seeds out of yours?

Have a GREAT evening, Dawn

soon2Bfamous said...

I love that picture of Bailey . I enjoy having her at Wee School. I'll have to let Brittany know I saw it