Saturday, October 11, 2008

Big News!!!!

I've got some big news to share with you!!!!
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Ashley got engaged yesterday!!!!!!!!

Okay...here's the story. Thursday night Steve and I were basically in our pajamas, heading towards bed when the phone rang. It was John asking if he could come by and talk to us for a minute. We knew right away what was up. Steve hung up the phone and said, "You need to put some clothes on, John is coming over to talk to us." Ummmm....yeah, we knew what was coming. :)

John was so polite and respectful and sat and talked with us for about an hour. He asked our permission to marry Ashley and told us his plans. Steve didn't really "grill" him, but he did make it clear how much we love Ashley. He told John he wanted a commitment from him that he would take good care of Ashley. He said, "She's my girl, and she means the world to me. I just need you to tell me you are committed to her for the rest of your life." John said he was. We talked about careers and money and spiritual things and how hard, yet rewarding marriage can be. It wasn't too heavy though. He and Ashley have been together for almost five years, so he knows us well and he knows how much we love him and are so happy that he is going to part of our family!

We didn't tell Ashley about our meeting, but she and John had planned a trip to the mountains on Friday. They drove up there and spent the day in Blowing Rock.


It was a drizzly, damp day though.


They had packed a picnic lunch and got to eat that together and spent some time browsing around the cute little shops of Blowing Rock.




But Ashley said as the day went on, it started really raining. I think John's plans of finding a picturesque spot to propose were fading. They had to get back in the car to get out of the rain. So.....that is where he asked her to marry him! He set the self-timer on the camera and told her to close her eyes. This picture says it all! I love it!


Last night Steve and I met them out for dinner when they got back. Here is the happy couple.


Ashley's ring is so pretty!




She was sooooo excited. I just can't even tell you. That girl is on cloud 9!!!! I am so excited for her. She has waited a long time for this and I know they are going to have a long and happy life together.

Congratulations Ashley and John! We love ya'll!!!!

27 comments:

  1. I'm crying right now because that is just SO sweet! I'm happy for you guys! They look like they belong together...so sweet and happy!

    Congratulations, Betsy, and pass my congrats on to Ashley too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!!! I am so happy for her!! Tell her to sign up on The Knot.com. Its a great website full of ideas and time lines:-) You are going to have so much fun helping her plan the wedding. My mom and I had a ball and she picked out my dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! How exciting! I love her ring, it's beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness!!! How exciting! I love all the pictures, especially the one of him giving her the ring! And, the ring is absolutely gorgeous!!

    Congratulations Ashley and John!!

    Let the wedding plans begin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how SWEEEEEET!! Congratulations to the happy couple! (I can't wait for those moments!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh How Sweet. That just made me tear up. Congratulations to her and the rest of the family. I guess planning a wedding will give you lots of great blog material. huh? lol.

    PS - that is so sweet and considerate of him to come talk with you guys. I hope that my son will be that way when his time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet! She looks so happy!!

    I must tell you that Blowing Rock is my absolute favorite place in the world. My husband knows when things get crazy around here, all he has to do is head that direction. What a perfect place to get engaged - rain or shine!!!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! You are so very lucky to have her with someone you love. Hopefully, we too will have that one day. When is the wedding?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Ashley and John!

    What a sweet, sweet story and I love the picture taken with the self-timer! Priceless! John thought of everything, didn't he? Her ring is absolutely gorgeous and I am so happy for both of them.

    I can hardly wait for all the wedding plans to begin. Have they set a date?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to Ashley and John! Ashley has had the opportunity to witness yours and Steve's commitment and she will be able to use what she's learned in her own marriage! You should be so proud as I know you are! The ring is beautiful and Ashley will make a beautiful bride! We're so happy for her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Betsy, HOW EXCITING!! CONGRATULATIONS TO ASHLEY AND JOHN!!! WOOHOO!!!!! I love weddings!!! Can't wait to hear about all the plans and fun stuff ahead of ya'll ~~ So great!!

    Her ring is gorgeous!!!!!

    Blessings to you,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, seriously... I just got misty eyed! How precious! I am so happy for both of them and for y'all! I know as parents it must be bitter-sweet, but it sounds like y'all love him and are ready for him to be a part of your family! Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to them! I love that he talked to you two and I love that he set a self timer to capture the moment- that's awesome.
    Gorgeous ring too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a precious story, and what an honorable young man John is...to ask you FIRST!!! To cool!

    Thanks so much for sharing with us the blow-by-blow of events. It was so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is soooo sweet! Yeah for Ashley! What a wonderful young man to come get your blessing before he asked Ashley to marry him. A true gentleman. I LOVE the picture when she opens her eyes. That is priceless. What a sweet couple, and how lucky they are to have the wonderful example of her parents to follow. Now, you get to plan a wedding. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww!!! That is so awesome your life just got busier too eh!! CONGRATS to ASHLEY though how sweet!! Cute couple too!! Love the pictures. They look so happy. So happy for you all he sounds like a great addition to the family! Awesome news!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so sweet! I love how the picture totally captured the moment...they will treasure that forever!
    Congrats to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow - how wonderful! What a sweet story and I Love that you have pics to go with it. I am so impressed.

    Many blessings to the happy couple!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YAY!!!!! That's such exciting news!! Congratulations to Ashley and John!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How exciting for you guys! I love Ashleys face when he gave her the ring, that is priceless. Sounds like you guys are getting a wonderful addition to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  21. CONGRATULATIONS! That is so exciting! I know she must be on cloud 9! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so exciting...for everyone ;)! Please tell Ashley I said Congratulations!!!! I can't wait to read all about the wedding planning details...so much fun!

    That John is one lucky boy to be a part of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations! What a sweet proposal!

    Melissa E.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh!!! I'm so excited!! I nearly squealed outloud in the office (that's what I get for reading a blog at work). Congratulations to Ashely!!!! I love the picture in the car. That is just perfect and they could not have posed like that if they tried!! I love it!!!
    The ring is gorgeous! Now your blog can be full of wedding prep stories!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh how exciting!!!! Ya'll have a wedding to plan!!!! I'm going to enjoy keeping up with wedding details now! :-)
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You should be so proud of the lady that Ashley has become. Shelly and I are so excited for her.

    Greg & Shelly King

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats!!!! I am so happy for Ashley and your whole family!!! How exciting to get to start planning a wedding!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)