Saturday, September 20, 2008

Playing Catch Up

I have been soooo busy this week. I have not had a minute to blog. I have been loving teaching second grade, but it is so time consuming trying to learn all the ropes and just getting started from scratch again. I have been working eleven and twelve hour days lately. I get to school around 6:30 in the morning and haven't been leaving until 5:30 or so.

I am always so excited when Friday finally gets here. And I am not about to cook on Friday night! :) Steve is always sweet to take me out on a date and I usually just sit there trying to make my brain work enough to have a decent conversation. Last night Steve and I went out to dinner at a really good place called Encore Bistro.


The atmosphere is very relaxing and the food was delicious (I got pan-seared talapia with jasmine rice and veggies in a basil cream sauce!) But, when we got home I felt like I had seriously been hit by a mack truck. haha I was exhausted!!! I fell asleep around 9:15! I am just a barrel of Friday night fun, huh??

We slept late this morning, though, and I felt lots better today. Every Saturday morning, we have a tradition of making blueberry muffins and coffee, so that's how we started the day today.


It was absolutely gorgeous outside, so we decided to go to Festival In The Park which is just an outdoor festival with tons of food and lots of arts and crafts booths. It was such a great way to spend the morning. We had the best time just hanging out in the pretty sunshine and strolling around outside. Here are some pictures of our morning.





There was so much good food there!


Like...the biggest Greek salads you've ever seen!


Yummy fruit


And kettle corn that smelled amazing!



We got barbeque and cole slaw with homemade macaroni and cheese for lunch and it was really good. There were also TONS of arts and crafts booths. Anything from jewelry to pottery to paintings...



to children's art work...


Mostly we just enjoyed being outside on such a pretty day.







After lunch we came home and I sat on the porch and tried to finish reading The Shack. I know....can you believe how long it has taken me to read that book??? I have literally not had a minute to read.


I am almost done with it now, though. My impressions after what I have read are:

*It is a very different interpretation of what anyone might imagine the Trinity to be! I'm not sure I liked how God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit were portrayed, but I do think it was thought provoking.

*I covers lots of deep spiritual topics.

*And, it is very metaphorical.

Let's just say it is not what I expected and it is very different than anything I've ever read before.

This whole week, my next door neighbors have been gone and we have been watching their dog and getting their mail, etc. Today, Lindy went over to water the flowers on their front porch, and this is what she saw....


Poor thing...isn't that sad? I wonder what happened?? We couldn't figure out how a little bird could have died right there on the porch!

Anyway...I am grateful for Saturdays. They are so needed right now. And this one was just right. We grilled out tonight, I bought my Spiced Pumpkin Yankee Candle today and it is burning as we speak...


and we have been watching some football (we bring our tv out onto the porch in the nice weather so we can watch the games outside. Here is Lindy right before she left for work tonight...)


That is a perfect way to end the day. Hope you've had a good Saturday, too!

PS--I forgot to tell you that Mark got elected to Freshman Council at USC! We are so proud of him. There were lots of freshmen that tried out and he was one of 12 chosen!

Also...if you have read The Shack, tell me what you thought about it!

14 comments:

Becky said...

Congrats to Mark! I know you are soooo proud of him! Sounds like you guys have been really busy lately. Good for you getting to sleep in and the blueberry muffins look yummy!! I haven't bought my spiced pumpkin candle yet, but I did had my first pumpkin spiced latte today from Starbucks. Does that count!!

Kellie DeLange said...

Your Saturday looked like it was a great relaxing way to end your busy week. It sounds like you are really busy with school this year!! I am getting called to sub quite a bit now and am really enjoying it. I have mostly been subbing at the high school and am loving it! My degree is in elem. ed, but I am kind of wishing I would have done secondary ed. Oh well!
I have read The Shack. Although I can't be there for the book club anymore, I am still reading the books you guys are reading for it. I thought it was good. I'm with you, it felt really strange to me how God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit were portrayed, especially God, the Father. I thought it taught some different ways of thinking about God. It made me think about the Trinity in a whole new perspective. I liked it though!
I hope all is going well with you guys. We miss you all so much!!! Thanks for the sweet comment about my hair! I feel about 10lbs lighter since I cut all my hair off.
ps. I love fall too and am totally enjoying it up here now. I just am not looking forward to the frigid winters that NC doesn't get!!!

Lauren said...

I'm glad you had a fun weekend! Congratulations to Mark for being elected to freshman council!

Jacquie said...

Sounds like a perfect Saturday for a hectic week. Dave and I have noticed more Friday and Saturday nights where we're in bed by 10 or 10:30 since our kids are grown. I think we're getting old.

Way to go, Mark!!

MiMi said...

Sounds like you HAVE been really busy lately! I am glad that you found a little time to relax this weekend. We didn't make it to Festival In The Park this year, but after seeing your pictures I wish we had. It looks like it was a lot of fun and you couldn't have asked for more beautiful weather.

Congratulations, Mark!

Heather said...

Hi Betsy, I stumbled upon your blog today and I love it! I am also a teacher (first grade) so I sympathize about not wanting to cook or think on Friday nights! I often go to bed earliest on a Friday night! I hope you have a great school year...I'll be back to check in soon :)

Cal mom said...

I loved your post today. I like all the photos! Just a thought: do your neighbors have a cat? The poor bird looks like a "gift" cats like to leave their owners -- apparently it's a sign of affection. (We had a cat, and I freaked out everytime he did this!)
Have a good week!

Meagan said...

Hey girl! I have to tell you that I think that sounds like the most perfect Saturday every!!!! Festival in the Park looks like something I would really enjoy! I love the picture of you and your sweet hubby - it's so cute! You are so beautiful and the two of you truly make a striking couple!! Wish I had been there with you... what a great way to spend a Saturday!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

So glad you had a relaxing day!

Betsy, I STILL haven't finished reading The Shack. I can't seem to pick it back up. I made it about 3/4 of the way through it, and I liked it, but found I was having to think very hard while reading it...it was very "heady" and very theological for me. I liked the way the author made the Trinity so real, but I know that bothered a lot of people. It definitely stretched the way I think about God, Jesus, Holy Spirit...how much I put them in my small boxes.

Hope you have a great week! That's so great about Mark.

Cindy said...

I'm glad you've had a nice weekend. I hope your school schedule starts slowing down.
Have a great week!

Leigh Ann said...

You are just the best teacher. You sure are putting in long hours. I know the students and their parents must appreciate you. I can only imagine how tired teachers must be come Fridays. Evan is worn completely out!

That festival looks fun. The food looked yummy! I LOVE blueberry muffins! I may need to adopt that tradition myself!

It doesn't surprise me that Mark was chosen. He just sounds like such a well rounded young man that is likable by everyone. I know you are SO proud!

Julie said...

Congratulations to Mark! I watched some Carolina football this weekend and for the life of me could not remember where he went. But I thouhgt of you guys!

I too love Saturdays lately. We have slept in, enjoyed each other, and it just is not as fast paced.

I am reading The Shack. It is not an easy read to me. I know it is fiction but I just can't get past how he has displayed the trinity. I'm determined to read it so I can judge it in its entirety. But it has taken me a long time to read as well. I would agree with your analysis.

petrii said...

Betsy,
I Love fall festivals!! The food, the art, the food, the crafts, the food, did I mention the food ?
:0)

I have also read The Shack and I had to put it down several times, but in the end I really enjoy a book that makes me step outside of my very nice and tidy box that I tend to place things in, and think. This book did that for me. Yes it was a hard read, but I am glad I read it and it has been very interesting reading the comments of others who have read it as well. Maybe you should start a Blog Book Club ~~

Congrats to Mark ~~
Have a Blessed week, Dawn

Megan L Hutchings said...

We have missed you so much ;)! It sounds like life has been BUSY ;)!

What a perfect Saturday! The fact that you started it off with blueberry muffins is just the BEST!!!

Congrats to Mark! I know you are so proud ;)!