Tuesday, September 23, 2008

First Week of Fall and Cornbread Cake

This is the first week of fall so I think it's about time to swap out my flowers. I have had geraniums on my front porch all summer and impatiens out along the front of the house. But I'm thinking this weekend might be a good time to pull them up and put in some fall pansies.



We are working with our church this weekend to clean up and "beautify" one of the little suburbs of Charlotte called Matthews. That will be taking up my morning. Then I have to go get my hair colored and cut. And Mark is coming home for the weekend, too. But I hope I will have some time to work in my yard!

I want to make some Cornbread Cake, too. The name sounds so different than what it really is. My sweet little neighbor, Melissa made some for a party I went to recently and when I tried it I loved it. It is so moist and not "cornbready". It is similar to Blondies. Here is the recipe:

Cornbread Cake

1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 t. vanilla
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups finely chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour

Preheat the oven to 350. Spray Pam in a 9 X 13 pan (baking dish). Stir together sugars, eggs, and oil in medium bowl. Then stir in flour, vanilla, and pecans. Stir till smooth and finely mixed. Spoon into baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes. Enjoy!


Steve has decided to help teach 3rd grade R.A.'s this year on Wednesday nights at church and then host a Men's Bible Study at our house afterward. He has all his guys over right now and I wanted to make the cornbread cake for them to munch on, but I didn't have time.

Is anyone else having a major gas shortage?? There is NO GAS anywhere near my house! It is nerve wracking to be getting low on gas and not be able to find any. Only two gas stations anywhere near here had gas tonight and both of them had lines that were at least 30-40 cars long...I'm not kidding! This is crazy!

PS-I decided to turn my music back on for a while...just change it up a little bit! I've missed it. :)

11 comments:

Becky said...

I still haven't seen any pansies for sale yet, but I can't wait. I love it when it snows and they pop their little heads through the snow and brag. We haven't had any gas shortages here in Arkansas that I know about. Your cornbread cake sounds wonderful, I'll have to try it.

Come over and sign up for my blog giveaway. Have a great rest of the week!

Pearls To Hide My Neck said...

I know what you mean about the gas. I was almost on empty yesterday morning and really thought I was going to end up on the side of the road. I could find NO gas within a 10 mile stretch.
I might just have to try that cornbread cake, it sounds yummy!

MiMi said...

I don't understand why our area seems to be the only area that is having a shortage!! What is going on here? We went to Winston Salem today and they had plenty of gas?!?!?

I am ready to swap all my Summer flowers out for Pansies, too. I haven't seen any out yet, but the mums are absolutely gorgeous this year! Love them!

I love "Blondies" so I will definitely have to give this cake a try! Thanks for sharing!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Betsy,

Your blog is great! I found you through Emily (Chatting at the Sky) --- I felt the bond of twins and came by to say "hi!" It does my heart good to see a vibrant, Godly mom survive into the teen years with lots of kids back to back and two of them minutes apart...Mine are 15 months through 7 years right now (twins = 7).

Anyway, your photography is stellar; your recipes sound scrumptious; and your kids seem well-grounded!

Blessings!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

oh --- and no gas here last week (Midwest). It's back now, though.

Alise Nettles said...

I love your new songs! Oh and go Ashley on homecoming court!!! That is so exciting and I know you must be so proud!

petrii said...

I LOVE THE MUSIC!! I'm so glad it's back on!! MMMMM I need to try that cake. I told my hubs last night that I needed to start making somethings to freeze and take with us to Mayo. Maybe I should make this the night before to have on the way ~~ what do you think?

No gas shortage here, but Emilie at Mimi's was talking about the same thing. I'm so sorry about that ~~ that would be nerve wracking.

Have a Blessed day,
Dawn

Megan L Hutchings said...

I love Fall Pansies! The colors are so beautiful!!!

That recipe sounds GREAT! The galz and I are updating our recipe books while we are gone, so I will definitely include that one!

We are running out of gas here as well ;)!

Meagan said...

Hey girl!

We are short on gas in Tennessee too! It seems to be coming and going... weird!

The cornbread cake sounds good - I'll have to try it! :-)

Leigh Ann said...

I've been thinking about planting pansies, too. That is scary about the gas shortage. Yikes! That cake sounds yummy. Definitely going to print that one, too. Thank you for sharing all your good recipes with us! I need all the help I can get. :)

Nancy said...

Hey Betsy~
Thanks for the recipe - it sounds yummy. We are doing Matthews Matters on Saturday, too. Maybe I'll see you there!

And yes, this gas thing is crazy. David just told me that he is planning to go out very early tomorrow morning to search for gas for my van. This shortage should be resolving shortly.