Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Best Laid Plans...

I just posted about wishing fall were here and today it felt like I got my wish! All of a sudden it has turned fall-ish! It is very cool and rainy and I even put on a sweater today. It is so funny how weather can change so quickly!

Laura and Lindy were asking for taco soup the other day and I told them there was no way I could eat that with it being so hot outside. But today was a great day to make it.



When I got home from school I got that going and made a fruit salad to go with it.

Here are my recipes for the soup and the fruit salad:

Taco Soup

Boil and chop about 4-5 boneless chicken breasts
Sautee one large onion in a few tablespoons of oil.
Add chicken to onions in a large pot. Then add the following ingredients:
2 8 oz. cans of tomato sauce
2 cans Ro-Tel tomatoes
2 cans black beans, drained
2 cans corn, drained
1 can chicken broth
2 packages taco seasoning

You can add a little water, if needed.

Simmer together for about 10 minutes, and you're ready to go!


I usually serve this with tortilla chips, grated cheese, and sour cream!

Fruit Salad

1 can peach pie filling
1 can mandarin oranges, drained
1 can pineapple tidbits, drained
1 package frozen strawberries
3 bananas, sliced

Mix all of these together and enjoy!


Today when I got home there was a new Real Simple magazine waiting for me. I haven't even gotten to read the last one yet. So I planned out my night...I was going to get my pajamas on early and get a few school things done. Then I was going to prop up in bed with my magazines and my TV remote!

That is not what happened. Apparently I was scheduled for overtime Mom-duty tonight and I didn't know it. Every single one of my kids had a need, question, or issue. I helped Laura edit her skit and resume for Carrousel, Mark e-mailed me an English paper he needed editing by tonight, Ashley called needing advice about a project she's doing tomorrow, and Lindy wanted to set dates for her college tours. Meanwhile, Rocky is attached to me for some reason tonight and has his head laying across my legs at this very moment! haha He's actually kind of cute! (Although he has been out in the rain and has a little bit of that "wet dog" smell right now...eww!) :)

So...I guess I'll re-schedule my magazine catch up for another night. Oh well, the best laid plans....

21 comments:

His Doorkeeper said...

I loved your Sunday's post. I love fall and all the wonderful things that go along with it!

Your taco soup looks great. It was in the 50's this morning so we are getting ready for some hot soup or chili weather soon!

Patti's Chat said...

YUM! I love those recipes! Fall is my favorite time of year. I'm so glad it's finally here.

Scrapper Mom said...

Taco soup is the bomb!! Yummy. And I just got caught up on some of your blog posts and I love that one about fall. You hit it right on!! It was cool here today..in the 60's, and I loved it!!

Jacquie said...

MMM, Betsy, that soup looks so good. I may have to make it the night I get my first fire!!

How sweet that your kids NEED you so much still!!

Leigh Ann said...

Now, I am hungry for taco soup! I just love it, and it is a perfect fall dish! It has been fall-ish here, too, and I am loving it.

Nancy said...

Thanks for sharing the Taco Soup recipe. I love Real Simple too. I hope you get to catch up on your issues soon!

Jennifer said...

Thank you very much for sharing the recipes. I can't wait to try some of them! The taco soup looks delicious!

Faith said...

I'm loving the cooler weather, and that taco soup looks delish!

Megan L Hutchings said...

I know...the weather here has been cool the last couple of days and I am LOVING it ;)!

I hope you get to enjoy your magazines soon ;)!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Oh yum...thanks for sharing these amazing recipes.

I've been SO hungry for Taco soup!

Lauren said...

The Taco soup sounds yummy! I hope you get a chance to read your magazines and relax tonight.

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

That looks SO GOOD! I'll have to try it when the weather gets and stays cooler. :)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

How funny...we had taco soup last night. I was all geared up for cold weather, but we were pushing 80 degrees and it wasn't really taco soup weather, but we ate it nonetheless.

I need to try your recipe because mine is similar, but I used ground beef instead of chicken.

Hopefully you can read that magazine tonight!

Meagan said...

Mom duty never stops, does it? lol. You have such a sweet family and you're such a super mom!!!!

The recipe made my mouth water... both of them actually! I think I might give those recipes a go this week. Fall is in the air - I can just feel it! I am so ready!!!!

Christal said...

you are the best mom ever!!! Look at you! All ready for a cozy night instead helped all your kids you are amazing! The taco soup looks so good I'm going to have to try that recipe!
Fall was here for a minute and now its really hot again and feels like summer! I ready for fall but the nice weather makes for an easier move to the new house!
Well hope all is good ttys

Heather said...

I have said it before, but you are a "mom hero" to so many of us!

Eve said...

You know what they say, "Life is what happens to us, while we are making plans".. : )

MiMi said...

YUM! I am definitely getting in soup mode now since the weather is cooling off! We love Taco Soup, but your recipe is different than mine so I will be giving this a try.

Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!
Emilie

Julie said...

The soups souds and looks so yummy!! And better yet, it looks like something I could probably make!! I love "soup weather" I love love love this time of year! We've had our windows openned for days!!

I'm sorry your evening plays didn't go as you like. But what a Rock you are for your family!!

Cindy said...

The soup looks awesome. I'm going to have to make this soon!

candy said...

Hey Betsy,
I find out more about you on your blog than I do living right beside you. That's ridiculous! We've got to stop working so hard and so late. I enjoy reading about your family. I know that you are proud of all of them.
candy