Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11


Do you know the Alan Jackson song called "Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning"? I have had that stuck in my head for the past couple of days! There is a line in there that was me!

Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day
Teaching a class full of innocent children
Driving down some cold interstate
Did you feel guilty cause you're a survivor
In a crowded room did you feel alone
Did you call up your mother and tell her you love her
Did you dust off that bible at home


I will never forget the day that happened. I was teaching second grade and I had just taken my class to art. As I was walking back through the library, I saw lots of teachers standing around a TV. I asked them what had happened and they told me a plane had just flown into one of the World Trade Centers! I remember thinking, "Wow...that plane must have been flying LOW! How in the world did that happen??"

Since my class was gone, I turned on my TV to the Today show once I got back to my room. About that time, another plane was hitting the other World Trade Center! I couldn't believe my eyes! It's that moment when all of a sudden you realize this wasn't an accident! Something terrible was going on. I remember watching Matt Lauer and Katie Couric just sitting there in shock and Matt said, "Is it my imagination, or does one of those buildings look like it's about to fall?" I thought to myself..."It won't fall! That just won't happen." Well, sure enough IT DID!!!

My heart was pounding and I couldn't take my eyes off of the TV! It wasn't too long before we saw that a plane had hit the Pentagon! At that point, I was really getting scared. I remember I wrote down what had happened to the Pentagon on a piece of paper and ran to another teacher's room and gave it to her so the kids wouldn't hear me say it out loud. We both just looked at each other with shock and fear and disbelief.

I couldn't IMAGINE who would be doing this to America!!??? I was wracking my brain trying to figure out who our enemies were! It seemed like after that everything just got chaotic. Parents started coming to school in droves picking up their children. I think by the end of the day I only had about four kids in my class!

And I was worried for my own children at their schools! Laura and Lindy were with me, but Mark and Ashley were at two different schools. It was such a scary, scary time!!

On this day every year, I relive that whole scene in my mind. It was such a traumatic event. I am still sad when I think about it. I just pray we never have to go through anything like that again.

Just remembering today....

7 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about that today, too. Working at a church, we saw people coming in to pray during the day... hasn't happened since. People forget all too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about that day since the beginning of September. It still rocks me to the core. Just one more reminder how blessed we all are to live in this country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dread this day every year. It brings back so many memories. It's almost like the movie "Groundhog Day".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about that all morning too! I was just getting ready for work got to the school and everyone was around the tv in shock we all took turns going to watch it. Sad sad I remember crying that night thinking about how horrible it was that people could hate so much to do something like this. Horrible day a day that I will always remember where I was and what I was doing. Thanks for this post!
    Congrats to your girls to on the fun things coming up for them!! And what a sweet husband you do have nice to have such thoughtful men in our lives eh!! HAve a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been remembering, too. What a great picture you found!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've thought a lot about this today, too. I don't believe that any of us will ever forget that day. May we never forget all those fellow Americans that gave their lives that day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been thinking about that today too! We had a moment of silence at school today and I was so thankful because so many have already forgotten or at least forget to remember on this day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)