Thursday, September 4, 2008

2 Million Minutes

I have THE BEST class this year. I know I keep raving about that, but it is so true. I teach at a top, top school here in North Carolina. It is in a suburban area with lots of extremely bright children who come from very successful families. Our scores are always the highest in the state on End Of Grade testing.

The population that my school draws from is not very diverse. Let's put it this way...0% of the children at my school are on free and reduced lunch. I have only had maybe one black child (or any other race) in my classroom over the past three years.

But this year is different! I don't really know how it happened, but out of 24 students this year, I have at least 9 children that are non-white. I have children that are Pakistani, Chinese, Indian, Greek, Hispanic, Black, Italian, some sort of Muslim descent, and Thai! And I LOVE it!! We are like a rainbow in there!



Not only are these children extremely well behaved, their parents are wonderful. I know my school is a little out of the ordinary in that we have so much parent involvement and support. Most of the parents at my school really care about and value education. And the parents in my class are no exception.

But I was telling Ashley about my class this past weekend and she showed me the trailer for a new documentary that recently came out about how Americans overall are becoming complacent regarding education and how we as a country are falling behind globally. Children and parents around the world are putting more emphasis on being competative and working hard academically than we are here. I definitely see that in the parents and students I have in my class who come from these competative countries. They are all about making sure their child stays on top of everything and is scoring well!

The documentary is called Two Million Minutes. "As soon as a student completes the 8th grade, the clock starts ticking. From that very moment the child has 'Two Million Minutes' to go from a teenager to an adult." How will our children choose to spend those 2 million minutes??

Anyway...it looks really interesting to me. If you are an educator or have children in school, this might interest you, too! (It only takes 2 minutes to watch the trailer! It will give you something to think about!)

5 comments:

  1. Very thought provoking.

    We have very different experiences as teachers. Not only do I teach middle school and you teach the little ones (brave woman!)... I teach in an "inner city" school that is a large percent minority and approximately 65-70 percent free and reduced!! We have little to no parent involvement. The funny thing is that even being so different, I bet we face a lot of the same challenges!!

    The documentary looks very interesting... I can't wait to see it! I am a nerd... I like stuff like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy,
    I'm so glad that you have such a wonderful class this year.

    This trailer was very thought-provoking!! Thank you for sharing this. Is it out now?

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get in touch with you in a few years when my husband and I decide to move. We want to move into an area with great schools.

    I hope you enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting...

    Being the wife of a teacher and having very dear friends who teach, education and the school system has come to mean so much more. Web teaches at a high school were the poverty level is the highest...he teaches the same students Meag did in middle school. I could talk about education all day!!!

    Thanks for sharing the documentary! I am so glad you have a melting pot this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister will have her elementary education degree Spring of 09. I just got through sending her the link to this. Thank you for sharing. Bryan and I have discussed numerous times the state of education in America and feel that should have such a higher level of focus among our government than it currently does.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)