Saturday, August 30, 2008

Saturday

My house is full of kids again this weekend. And that's the way I LOVE it! Ashley came home yesterday afternoon and Mark got home last night around 7:30. It was so good to see both of them! I'm not as used to Mark being gone, so I have really missed him. (Plus he doesn't call as much as Ashley does!! Boys!)

When he walked in, I gave him a BIG hug and made him a sandwich and started washing his two huge baskets of laundry that I knew he would bring home! It was just the two of us here because Steve had his Fantasy Football draft last night and all my girls were at the mall.

So we just sat and talked and he got me all up to date on everything. He loves college! I am so happy about that. He has a great roommate, likes his classes, had an awesome time at the game Thursday night, and on and on. We even talked a little politics (one of his favorite subjects!) since we were watching the announcement of John McCain's running mate, Sarah Palin.


Hmmmm....I need to get to know more about her! I've never even heard of her! I'm sure she's very smart and capable. To me, she looks like one of those librarians in a movie that if she took her glasses off and her hair out of a bun, she would look totally different and much more glamorous! haha

Anyway...today I slept really late and it felt so gooooood!!! I needed that so bad. I think the past few weeks have finally caught up with me. I tried to do a lot of nothing today because I think I'm coming down with a cold. But I did go to my classroom and Steve was sweet enough to help me get my computer set up where I wanted it and get my Smart Board up and running. I've never had one before and I can't wait to teach with it! They are so cool!


The rest of the day, I have just been relaxing and enjoying the day. We have been keeping an eye on Hurricane Gustov because Steve's brother Mike is down in Louisiana for his birthday. He went with some friends to see the LSU vs. Appalachian State game today and the New Orleans Saints game! I hope that hurricane doesn't hit New Orleans again!! Bless their hearts down there!

I wanted to share two quick fun things today. First of all, I really enjoy the blog Blissfully Domestic. It has lots of contributors and always has good ideas. I was finally catching up with my blog reading today and it had a great idea for decorating your walls without spending tons of money on pictures and frames by using canvases covered in fabric.


I thought these were so cute!

Also...since it is football season again and time to have fun food, I thought I'd share a dip we made the other night when our neighbors were over watching the USC vs. NC State game with us. It is vidalia onion dip. It is super easy and every time I make it, I get lots of compliments on it. It is great to munch on while watching a football game!!

Vidalia Onion Dip

2 c. Vidalia onions, chopped
2 c. shredded Swiss cheese
1 3/4 c. mayonnaise

Combine ingredients, put in a casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve with corn chips.

5 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Hi Betsy. How fun to have your kids home this weekend. I hope you enjoy your time with everyone together.

I'm sort of excited about Sarah Palin, though you're right, she does look a bit librarian-ish!

Deanna and Hope said...

Here's what someone left on my blog. Thought you might want to read it:

Sarah Palin – a prolife, mother of a down syndrome baby, a hunting , fishing gun toting "Annie Oakley" from Alaska is a fiscal conservative not only socially but also in economic issues. She is a trail blazer, married for 20 years to Todd, mother of 5. The oldest child who is a son will be going to Iraq with the Army infantry in September. She is a beautiful, intelligent believer with a faith background grounded in an interdenominational Bible church. She is articulate, warm and outgoing. And there is much more to her accomplishments.

Leigh Ann said...

I am so happy for you to have all your children home this weekend. As a mom, I know that has to be the biggest treat! Thank you for sharing your recipes. I print them all. :) Isn't it amazing how Sarah Palin's hair is getting so much attention? Ha! Maybe her bun is some sort of strategy. Ha!

Jacquie said...

I know that momma feeling you have!! Love it.

That is so funny you said that about Sarah Palin... I thought I was the only one who was thinking that. I had her hair all down and make-up all done up thinking - she's a pretty woman!

I love the smart board. I've never seen one of those. Technology is amazing.

Have a great week with your second graders!

Megan L Hutchings said...

I am so happy that you got to have some qt with Mark ;)!

Hope that you got some of the much needed rest you deserve!!!!