Saturday, August 16, 2008

I Hate Goodbyes...

Well, we got Mark moved into USC today. It all went really well, but I have to admit my heart is still sad! I have been totally okay all week knowing he was leaving today. Even yesterday I wasn't sad at all!! But last night it just hit me that it was his last night in our house and from now on things would never be the same. He came in to our bedroom before he went to bed and hugged us and said, "You guys have done so much for me and I wanted you to know I appreciate it. I love you!" That was such a sweet thing for him to say! Steve and I were both very teary. God has blessed us so much with such a precious boy.

This morning Steve's mom and dad came over for breakfast and to say goodbye to Mark. My parents came by yesterday, but they missed him. They dropped off candy for him, though! :)

This is Mark and me right before we left.



We headed out about 8:30 and got to Columbia around 10:30 (we had to make a few stops). Mark was on the 7th floor and the elevator lines were SOOOO long, so we all just carried everything up the seven flights of stairs. My legs were like jello. But guys are so much easier than girls! Mark had about half the stuff Ashley had! He doesn't care if anything matches or is decorated cute.



He did take a poster I made for him a few years ago. It is a collage of all his favorite basketball players.


Mark is so lucky to have three sisters. They were all just buzzing around making his bed, hanging up his clothes, hanging posters, setting up his desk, folding his clothes and putting them in his drawers. Mark didn't have to do a thing!!




We had lunch together and made a Target run. Then when we got back to the room, we set up his printer and TV. Here is Steve setting up his computer.


We got everything finished around 4:00.

Mark walked us out to the parking lot and we hugged him goodbye. I didn't want to let go!! I didn't cry, but I had a huge lump in my throat. It was so hard seeing him walking away. But he is ready and was anxious to start checking everything out and calling his friends to get together. I love him so much (it makes me teary eyed just typing this). I want him to have a great year and meet lots of new friends and absolutely love it. And I want to be okay with him being gone. Our family will be different, but I know we will get used to it.

We will be doing this again for the last time next year. So we are making the most of our time with Laura and Lindy!

PS--Congratulations to Michael Phelps. He is just AMAZING!!! 8 GOLD MEDALS!!!!!!

And, in honor of the Olympics and Mark's favorite commercial.... (love this one!!) If you want to see it and other music is playing, go to the playlist on the sidebar and press pause!

12 comments:

Nancy said...

That is the sweetest post. Yesterday sounds so bittersweet.

Hope you have a wonderful Sunday!

Cindy said...

You are such a sweet strong momma!

Lauren said...

I am glad your son is settled in his new dorm room! I got teary just reading your post and I don't even have kids yet. I have no idea how I am going to handle it when they go to college.

Patti's Chat said...

It's so hard to believe Davey Crocket is going off to college! He'll always be a sweet young man in my mind! I know you are proud of him and so are we! Can't wait to hear more updates about how he's doing!

Leigh Ann said...

Betsy! I am totally bawling like a baby right now! I guess I can relate somewhat with Evan going to Kindergarten. It's exciting to watch them fly, but it's so hard to let go! What a sweet young man saying that to you and Steve last night. Here I go again...Whaaaa! :)

MiMi said...

Awwww...what a sweet post! It is obvious that you and Steve have done a wonderful job raising your children. It must be great for Mark to have all those sisters taking care of him, too! I am glad that he is all settled in at USC and I pray he has an amazing year at school! I am praying that you have one, too!

Meagan said...

You have such a precious family and you are such a great mom! I will be saying a prayer for you, Steve, and all your "babies" as each of you adjust to the changes!! I think you are all going to have a fantastic year!

petrii said...

Oh Betsy my heart just goes out to you. I am so happy that Mark is in and settled at USC, but how bittersweet for you and hubs. Thank you for sharing this part of your journey. It reminds me to cherish every moment with my son who turned 16 on Wednesday.

Have a blessed evening,
Dawn

Jacquie said...

Another moment you'll never forget. That last hug before you go is a precious one. (I didn't cry until I walked out of the dorm and got in the car.)

I LOVE that he came in to your room the night before and told you that he appreciates y'all and loves you! Those are the times that make it all worthwhile!

Scrapper Mom said...

Oh Betsy, this just really hits home with me, with mine starting his Sr. year, I know this will all be happening way tooooo soon.

Next year we will have to be each other's support team, ha.

Megan L Hutchings said...

Betsy...WOW! I got teary-eyed just reading your post. You are one of the best moms I know and one of the strongest ;)! We will be praying for your family as you adjust to the changes and for Mark during this first year of college. It is such a bittersweet time...

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

I laughed over the mental image of three sisters buzzing around setting up their brother's college room. I have one boy and two girls so far, and it was like a glimpse into the future! :)