Sunday, August 24, 2008

Double Blessing

Today is Laura and Lindy's 17th birthday!


I will never forget the day I found out I was having twins. I already had a 3 year old and a one year old and we were just going in to find out what the sex of our baby was. Well, the ultrasound technician was scanning around and she said, "There are two heads in there!!" WHAT???!! My first crazy thought was that I was having a two-headed baby! (I know that's extreme, but seriously I had images of the National Enquirer headlines!) Then once it dawned on me that she meant twins, I just started laughing and crying and the same time. I was excited, but wondered how I was going to cope with so many small children at once. Steve's face was looking pretty pale, too. I think he had dollar signs flashing before his eyes! haha

My pregnancy was high risk and I had to go on bed rest in June. I also had to be put on medicine to prevent me going into labor early and I had to have an amniocentesis as it got closer to their being born to make sure their lungs were developed enough. That was a difficult time because I had two little children at home to take care of and I was supposed to be on bedrest??

Laura and Lindy got here a month early. I remember they were so tiny they almost looked like little baby birds. They each weighed about 4 1/2 lbs.



Their lungs weren't quite ready, so Laura stayed in the hospital for 2 weeks and Lindy stayed for 3. I was not ready for that. Leaving the hospital without your babies is NOT fun!!

For those three weeks, I juggled my time between the hospital and being home with Mark and Ashley. I had help, but it was one of the hardest times in my life. I was so torn and already an emotional/hormonal wreck. When they finally did come home, they had to wear a heart and breathing monitor for six months because they had apnea (where they would stop breathing) and bradicardia (where their heart rates would drop). That alarm would go off in the middle of the night sometimes and Steve and I would jump out of bed so fast and race over to their bassinets. Sometimes they would be blue! It was so scary!



But, God brought us through that extremely difficult first year and things got so much better. Laura and Lindy soon became little butterball babies like I was used to.


They were really so good. And they had so much fun together.

In Florida

Blowing Bubbles

I wish I had a dime for every time someone said they looked like Mary Kate and Ashley!!


In the playhouse


Two cuties!




They have always been my little fashionistas...the ones who loved dressing up and buying new shoes and doing hair and painting nails.





Singing and dancing to "Grease"...one's the sweet Sandy and one is the sexy Sandy. Poor Mark got roped into it, too. He does NOT get into stuff like that! haha

They love to dance!



They loved taking dance and learned to play the piano. And they are the biggest readers you've ever seen. They fly through books like crazy! Laura told me she wishes she could make a Barnes and Noble candle that smelled like coffee and books because those are two of her favorite things! :)

Plus, they are very domestic. They both love to cook and lots of times they whip up something really yummy for us for lunch or dinner or just a fun dessert! They even surprise me sometimes when I get home and they have cleaned for me and have everything looking so great. You gotta love that!!


Today we went to Kabutos for lunch and they took two of their sweet friends Hannah and Melissa. They are having a real party in a couple of weeks.






I am so blessed to have them. We love hanging out together and they are always fun to talk to. I am praying that God will bless them this year....their last year at home! Happy Birthday, Laura and Lindy! We love you!!!

18 comments:

petrii said...

How beautiful your girls are!! I have totally loved the b-day pics and all the fun!! In fact, they gave me an idea. Well, my b-day is this week as well, and I'd told my hubby I'd like to have The Message Bible for my Bday and so this weekend went to town and got that and then Dakota gave me my bday present (more on my blog on Tuesday :0) Dick kept saying "today is not your bday" and I said yeah it's great to celebrate it for four days (made me think of your sweet fam). So in honor of our (Laura Lindy and my) b-days being so close together I'm celebrating mine for four days!! :0) Have a Blessed week, Dawn

Jacquie said...

Happy Birthday, Laura and Lindy!! What some cute girls. I always secretly wanted twins!!!

You are so blessed, Betsy.

Nancy said...

Your girls are so beautiful! And looking at the pictures made me realize how quickly they grow up. I hope this is a wonderful year for them.

Hope tomorrow goes well for you!

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday to the girls - they are just beautiful!

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

Oh my gosh, I'm gonna have to email you!!!

Scrapper Mom said...

Oh my goodness. The girls are beautiful now and they were beautiful then. I think it would've been so fun to have twins. I always thought I might (it was in the genes), but it didn't happen. I guess God knows who can do it and who can't. ha.

Happy Bday Laura and Lindy!

Megan L Hutchings said...

Your girls are so beautiful and so blessed to have you as a mom ;)! I hope that they have a WONDERFUL Senior Year!!!!

Lauren said...

Happy Birthday Laura and Lindy!

Melissa said...

You have such beautiful children! I hope the girls enjoyed their birthday!

Patti's Chat said...

What a walk down memory lane! They are still as adorable as the first time I laid eyes on them. We have such good memories of our life on Earlham Court!
Your family is so beautiful and full of love,it's clear as I read your blogs.
Happy Birthday Laura and Lindy! I still can't tell you apart! :))

Christal said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRLS!!! what a beautiful tribute to two beautiful girls!! Wow 3 year old 1 year old and baby twins wow that would be busy!! What an awesome mom you are!

Caroline said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i love that you shared this story!!!!!I already love reading about what they are up to but now i love them even more!!!!!!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and what a WONDERFUL MOM YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meagan said...

What a precious post! Your daughters sound as wonderful as you are!!! You have such a sweet family, a close bond, and beautiful beautiful children! Wish them a happy birthday from Tennessee!!

MiMi said...

What beautiful girls and what a sweet post! I love the "Grease pictures and I can't believe they got Mark to go along with that! Too cute!

Happy Birthday, Laura and Lindy!

Faith said...

Happy Birthday to Laura and Lindy! What a precious tribute you wrote for them!

Lauren said...

So sweet! Happy Birthday to them!

And Happy Birthday to you, too - I think birthdays should celebrate the mamas, too, since it's a big day for us, as well!

Cal mom said...

I like reading your blog and gave you an award:) Come see!

Leigh Ann said...

This was so sweet! They were such cutie pies (and still are). I love the candle idea Laura had! I'd definitely buy it!