Friday, August 1, 2008

August

Today is August 1st. Looking ahead to the month of August is always a little daunting to me. Besides December... May and August are in a tie for being the most hectic months of the year. I think August may win because you're doing everything in the blazing heat! I feel like I need to start eating my Wheaties and dosing up on vitamins so I can rev up my energy for the month!

This month I have these things to look forward to:

August 2-5th-girl's beach trip

August 6th-Book Club

August 9th-drive to Columbia and move Ashley into the sorority house

August 11th-go to school and begin moving out of my old room into my new room/spend the week getting Mark packed and ready for college

August 16th-drive to Columbia and move Mark into his dorm

August 17th-our 23rd anniversary

August 18th-first teacher workday

August 24th-Laura and Lindy's 17th birthday

August 25th-first day of school

August 31-breathe a sigh of relief that I got it all done and August is over! :)
Is anybody with me on this??

Yesterday, my mother-in-law took Laura and Lindy out to a really fun place called Dish It Out for an early birthday present.


It's one of those places where you can paint your own pottery. They LOVE doing that and have made me some really cute things in the past. My mother-in-law is very talented artistically and she always does a beautiful job! Here are some of their fun pictures.









Laura made this cute salsa bowl for me. It looks like a hot pepper.


After it is glazed and put in the kiln, the colors will really pop!

So, I thought I would share my recipe for my homemade black bean salsa that I plan on putting in here!

Black Bean Salsa

2 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 small finely chopped vidalia onion
1 finely chopped green pepper
1 can Ro-tel tomatoes
1 can white corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained
Salt and pepper


Today I have my Bible Study/Lunch Group at Panera, then we are off on a shopping spree. It is tax free weekend here, so you can get all kinds of school supplies, dorm items, and clothes tax free! I will be getting Mark all his dorm stuff and Laura wants Seven jeans for her birthday, so I'm getting those a little early.

Tonight Laura and Lindy are going to a Twilight party at Barnes and Noble. They are totally into those books and the new one comes out tonight. We are leaving for the beach tomorrow for a few days, so they probably won't speak until they finish that new book! haha

I'm not sure if I will have a way to post while I'm there since I'm staying in a friend's house. I may not be able to post until next Tuesday?? But hopefully I will. Have a great weekend!

14 comments:

  1. Yes, I feel the SAME way about August. When I flipped my calendar this morning, my smile quickly faded because August is already so full. Summer is definitely winding down around here much too quickly for my liking.

    LOVE those paint-your-own pottery places! We've had many birthday parties for my girls there.

    Hope you have fun at the beach!!! That sounds like a fabulous way to end the summer!

    Oh, and thank you so much for the sweet award. I hope to get around to passing it on this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love paint your own pottery!!!

    YOur August sounds SOOOO busy but a lot of fun/bittersweet things involved. August is actually one of the slowest months for me - but then in September things get crazy and will stay that way until January (especially this year). January/February are my only other slow months in the year. I look forward to these months. They are also the very hottest or very coldest - so I like staying inside and resting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on that one! For us the busiest months are May, October, & December! However, I think that most women add to the craziness b/c we take so much on ;)!

    I love painting pottery! The galz and I really want to do that for one of our special days ;)! LOVE that salsa bowl! Your girls are so talented!

    Have fun at the beach beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word, your August is action packed! You better get some serious relaxing done at the beach because it looks like you won't get another chance at relaxation until the month is over! I'm going to be thinking about you and praying for your busy busy month!

    Have such a fun time at the beach and be safe on your trip! I can't wait to hear all about it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know whether to say "Bless your Heart" or "Have fun at the beach"! HA! I do hope you have fun and remember "just breath"! That's what I tell myself. "Becky, just slow down and breath". It really seems to help.

    I love the new "salsa" dish! I think I'll try your receipe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh girl i don't even want to think about it....all the craziness!!!!!! but AUG 17 is sooooooooo my birthday and your wedding anniv. THAT IS SOOOOOO FUN!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to paint pottery - so fun!

    You won a giveaway over at my blog! Just send me your address and I'll get it to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. August is crazy....and I definitely think the heat makes it worse!
    Your girls are so beautiful- just like their mother!
    I am jealous of the panera AND the tax-free weekend! Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Painting Pottery sounds like a great way to spend a hot afternoon. Your August sounds crazy busy, but fun too!

    Have fun at the beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In August we have 5 birthday's and 2 anniversaries ~~ not to mention Dakota starts Cross Country practices and Speech and Debate practices; we have CYC Prayer Walk on the 10th and school starts the 14th; and CYC meetings start the 29th. So August is totally busy for us as well. So let's breathe in and out together!! Have fun at the beach ~~ Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would totally love painting pottery. How fun for the girls to do that with you MIL.

    Your August calendar makes me tired just reading it! Wow! You are going to be busy. You need to have Steve take you out for sure at the end of August to celebrate.

    I hope you have a great time at the beach. I'll look forward to reading all about it and seeing pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I started reading this post, I thought how busy August would be for you as a teacher... but you have so much stuff to do to get your own kids ready as well! That's when I grab paper and pen and start with my "to do" lists...

    Have a great beach trip with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pottery place looks like fun! I'm with you on the busiest months: Decemeber, May, and August are definitely bad! Enjoy your last few days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow I go away for a few days and I miss so much!! Love the paint your own pottery that is such a cool idea and that she made it for you you have the best kids!! Your august calender is so so booked wow !! Summer is going by way to fast that is for sure! Be safe on you all your trips and keep having fun!!
    We just got back from a reunion and now we are headed to the lake for a week crazy august that is for sure!! well have a great week ttys

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)