Sunday, August 17, 2008

23 Years!

Today is our 23rd anniversary! We've been so busy that we aren't really going to celebrate today. We are going to wait until next weekend when we're not so tired.

I will tell you a little bit about us....I met Steve when we were both in 6th grade. He went to my church and was in my Sunday School class. But once we got to high school, I really set my sights on him! He was so cute and so popular. He had tons of girlfriends, so I knew I would have to win him over.

He has a twin sister that I was really good friends with so I got to go over to his house and spend time with him there and we had some classes together, too. Plus we both got jobs scooping ice cream at Baskin Robbins. Our whole sophomore year we just became the best of friends and always had so much fun together. He was so easy to talk to and friendly.

Here we are at Myrtle Beach...we were 17 I think here.


In April 1980, for my birthday, he gave me a dozen roses and the rest is history. We dated for five years. My high school years were really idyllic in that we had such a great group of friends and we were the couple that stayed together the whole time and everyone thought would get married (including me! I KNEW we would!)

This is from our senior prom.


After graduation, Steve went to NC State and I went to Baylor for two years in Texas! But when I transferred back to University of NC, we decided it was time to tie the knot!! We got married after our junior years of college, August 17, 1985.


Of course, our life together has been full of all the ups and downs life offers. But I am so thankful that God has given me a partner to make this journey with that is perfect for me. He is still my best friend and my encourager and he is such a great provider and father. God has been good to me!!

I was reading Sophia's blog today and she said exactly what I wanted to say...

She said, "...in my opinion, young love may be bliss but old love... well... old love...it's bliss improved every day, sweetened through time and years together! It just doesn't get any better!" EXACTLY!!

I LOVE YOU, STEVE!!

17 comments:

Kelly said...

This is so sweet!!!!! How neat to have known someone for most of your life! Ya'll got married so young!!!!
I love the old pictures!
What a testimony to be married for 23 years! I know your kids are learning by example what a great marriage looks like!

Kim said...

Happy...Happy Anniversary. So sweet. We just celebrated 21 years on August 15th.

Be blessed.

Kim~

MiMi said...

What a sweet love story! How neat that ya'll have known each other since 6th grade. I love all the pictures of you dating and your wedding picture. You are such a cute couple.
Happy, Happy 23rd Anniversary!

Cindy said...

What a wonderful story! That is incredible to have known each other as long as you two have. Happy Anniversary!

Jacquie said...

What a sweet post! I LOVE the old pictures of you guys. What a cute couple!

Scrapper Mom said...

That's just the sweetest little story ever!!

Congratulations!

Lauren said...

Happy 23rd Anniversary! I loved seeing your old pictures. I hope you and Steve enjoy celebrating next weekend!

Megan L Hutchings said...

How sweet! I think it is so precious that you began your life together at such a young age and your love is still going strong!

Those pictures are so timeless!

Christal said...

Love this post happy anniversary!!! You guys are so beautiful love the old pictures!What a beautiful couple 23 years that is so awesome and almost rare in this day in age eh!! What great examples you guys are not only to your children but to everyone!! Hope you have a great anniversary!

Christal said...

Love this post happy anniversary!!! You guys are so beautiful love the old pictures!What a beautiful couple 23 years that is so awesome and almost rare in this day in age eh!! What great examples you guys are not only to your children but to everyone!! Hope you have a great anniversary!

Melissa said...

Happy Anniversary!! I love all the pictures! :)

Patti's Chat said...

Happy Anniversary you love birds! Old love IS good LOVE! We celebrate our 20th next month!
CONGRATULATIONS, a perfect pair God put together!

Faith said...

Awww!! This is so sweet. I loved hearing your love story!! Happy Anniversary to you and Steve!

Meagan said...

How precious! You have a great story - I love it! And you have a great love too! Thank you for sharing! The pictures were fabulous and the story was even better! Happy Anniversary!

Heather said...

What a sweet post! You can tell in that prom picture that you are SO in love- I love that you have that now to look back on!
Happy anniversary!

Leigh Ann said...

Awwww! So sweet! Looking at your wedding picture is like seeing Mark and Lindy/Laura! What a pretty couple you were (and still are). I, too, am thankful Derek and I met at an early age, and I love what Sophia said about "old love." She is so right. Happy Anniversary!

Meagan said...

TAG! Your it, sister! I Tagged you... check out my blog for instructions!