Friday, July 25, 2008

Whitewater!

I told you yesterday that I would share with you something fun and different that my sister-in-law Debbie wanted to do for her birthday. We went whitewater rafting! On the Catawba River here in Charlotte, we have the new US National Whitewater Center.


It is the world's largest artificial whitewater river and an official U.S. Olympic Training Site! I have been whitewater rafting several times in the mountains before, but never at this center.

It was so much fun! Our guide was extremely energetic...seriously bouncing off the walls with energy. He made the whole experience even more fun and entertaining! Laura and Lindy were a little scared at first, but they ended up really liking it! We saw lots of people get thrown off their rafts and start heading down the currents, but none of us ever fell off and we had a great time!

I just wanted to share a couple of our pictures with you. I thought it was definitely a unique way to celebrate a 50th birthday!




Have you ever gone whitewater rafting?

14 comments:

Kelly said...

No I haven't and I thought that was just in CO - no idea you could do that in NC - how fun!

petrii said...

Nope never been, but boy I'd love to ~~ that looks like a BLAST and in NC ~~ get out-a-town :)

Have a GREAT weekend!!

Faith said...

One of the first things Chad and I did after we started dating was white water rafting down the Nantahala...it was fun!

I haven't been to the center yet, but some of my friends went today! I've heard it is really neat!

Nancy said...

That looks like so much fun! And what an original thing to do for her 50th b-day.

Have a great weekend!

Jacquie said...

Closest thing I've ever done is float the creek. Ha! (and I fell out of the boat at that!)

Those pictures are so cool when you blow them up to full size! What some great shots.

Jacquie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

What a fun day! I've never whitewater rafted, but my daughter Casey and her husband are avid whitewater rafters. They do class 5's. Not me, no thanks! I'll stick with our pontoon and the only way I'll end up in the water is if I jump in! HA!!!

MiMi said...

I went to the US National Whitewater Center for a Team Building event with my office staff earlier this year. It is a very nice place, isn't it? Our office did the the ropes course and other team building "exercises". We did not do the whitewater rafting because it was FREEZING the day we were out there!

Looks like ya'll had a great time and yes, that is a very unique way to spend your 50th birthday!
Emilie

Melissa said...

Yes the Nantahala in the mtns. We've gone several times. The most memorable one being when Rod fell in and I could not pull him into the raft!

Rod also has been to the center with his Men's Accountabilty group. At the end their trip guide told them to move to the front of the raft for an automated picture (of course there is no such thing) and then the guide jumped out causing the raft to flip and causing all of them to fall out. Hilarious!

Meagan said...

I have been whitewater rafting! I am a FAR cry from an "outdoor" girl, but I have rafted before. It's not something I would choose to do myself, but it is certainly fun and exciting and something everyone should do once! :-) I am glad y'all had a good time and that no one got thrown out of the raft!!! Looks like a fun and very inventive way of celebrating a birthday!

Scrapper Mom said...

Oh My! That would scare the pee out of me!

Be sure to enter for my giveaway!

Kellie DeLange said...

I went white water rafting in West Virgina when I was a teenager. It was a lot of fun!! I always wanted to get over to that White Water Center when we lived there. Maybe it will be something we can do when we come to visit all our friends!

Megan L Hutchings said...

What a wonderful & adventurous way to celebrate a birthday ;)! I was in an "adventure" group in high school called Explorers! We went rafting quite often, but I have not been in years!

Nicole M Wood said...

Oh that looks like so much fun!!! I have never been. I have been on the river but it doesn't look as much fun.