Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Latest

Thank you so much to all of you who were praying for Mark! He made it home safely from Jamaica last night. I was so happy to see him and hear all his stories. He had a great trip! You can't help but come back from a trip like that and not have it impact your life. They built two houses and an addition to a home and they were able to minister to many of the people who live in Harmons.

He brought me back some Jamaican coffee and since they played lots of games at night with the people there, he also brought back dominoes. Other than the clothes he was wearing, that's about all he did come back with! They left everything, including all their clothes and shoes, there for the people who need it so badly!

Yesterday we got up early and went to the Extreme Makeover Pep Rally. Chick-Fil-A was there giving out free chicken biscuits. There was also free water and juice. The Charlotte Bobcats drum team was there along with the mascot from the Bobcats, Rufus, and the Carolina Panthers mascot, Sir Purr. The news was there and we even saw ourselves last night on the news! But the meeting itself was really more informational and motivational. It wasn't a true pep rally where you cheer and yell, etc. Here is a picture of Ashley and her cousin, Rebeccah with Rufus!


I'm not sure if I will be chosen as a volunteer, but I signed up! They will let us know when the time gets closer. I don't have any special skills like plumbing or drywall, etc. But I can paint!!

I got a new ice cream maker yesterday. I saw this in Paula Deen's magazine as one of her top picks. It's the Cuisinart ice cream maker. No rock salt or ice needed. And no churning.


Laura made some vanilla ice cream last night with lots of toppings. It was really good!

And since I've been so lazy lately, I thought I should get busy these past few days. I've done lots of cleaning and laundry. I vacuumed out my car and I even cleaned out and organized my closet! Have you ever used these?


They are so great at condensing your bulky sweaters and jackets down so they don't take up so much space!

Also, I saw the craziest thing today. Have you ever heard of fish giving you a pedicure??



This is what the article I read said:
Owners of Yvonne Hair and Nails in Alexandria, a suburb of Washington DC, estimate 5,000 customers have so far tried the unorthodox treatment, in which customers immerse their feet in warm water filled with tiny, voracious carp.

The toothless fish, termed garra rufa but known as “doctor fish”, nibble away at dead skin while leaving healthy flesh untouched, providing what advocates say is a natural alternative to potentially unsanitary razors, clippers or pumice stones.


Ok-no thank you!! I'm so ticklish I think I'd be laughing the whole time!

Anyway, I really wanted to go to the pool today, but it is SOOOO hot and humid. And I think today is a code red ozone warning. So, it looks like I'll be spending the afternoon near my air conditioner with maybe a popsicle in hand!

13 comments:

petrii said...

Betsy,
I'm so glad Mark made it back safely and had such a wonderful experience. OH I hope you get to be a volunteer, I will look for you on the show if you get to ~~ it's one of my fav's!!!!!!!!!!

Fish pedicures ~~ hmmmm what will they think of next? They had something on ABC this morning about this ~~ very interesting.

Nancy said...

I'm cracking up reading this - I cleaned out my closet yesterday also!

As for Fish Pedicures - No, thanks! I'll stick with the traditional kind.

Melissa said...

Glad Mark is home safely and how moving that he gave away nearly everything he took!

I believe I'll pass on the fish pedicures. I literally scream when something brushes by my feet when my son drags me out into the ocean, why would I want to pay to do that? I can't even snorkel. I prefer to swim in water that is critter free. I'm a pool gal.

Megan L Hutchings said...

What? I have never in my life heard of fish giving a pedicure...lol! The galz and I are meeting for one on Thursday, so we will be sure to check in the water ;)!

I am so glad that Mark made it back safe & sound from his mission trip. You have quite a son Betsy...such a GIVER!

Oh I hope you get chosen to volunteer! I always tell mine all they need is a desire to help and they will do GREAT! Keep us posted ;)!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

So glad to hear that your son made it home safely.

I saw fish pedicures on GMA this morning. Diane Sawyer got one on the air.

I haven't used space bags, but my church has a ministry to brides in Rwanda and we pack bridal gowns in space bags to send over there. Apparently, they're wonderful!

Oh, you MUST try this recipe for strawberry ice cream. Sooooo yummy.

http://mersrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/07/homemade-strawberry-ice-cream.html

Faith said...

So glad your boy is home!! I'm sure it was an incredible experience!

About the market totes, they are awesome, and people use them for so many things...a reusable shopping bag, take to the grocery store instead of getting plastic bags, picnic basket, I use it when I take food to people from SS (a 9x13 pan fits perfectly!) or when I go to a potluck, and so much more!

Jacquie said...

Glad to hear Mark is home safe. I'm sure he had an amazing experience. They got so much done!

I'm not too big on minnows, so I don't think I'll be booking any fish pedicures in the near future.

Becky said...

I know you're glad Mark is home. I bet your guys stayed up late, late listening to wonderful stories.

No fish pedicures for me either. I squirm right out of the seat everytime they bring out the pumice stone. Way to tickly (is that a word) for me.

I love homemade ice cream! My favorite is banana or peach. Yummy!

Let us know if you get to volunteer.

Ashley -cutestblogontheblock said...

Hello!
This is Ashley from TCBOTB. You’re on our top referral list, thank you so much for having such a popular blog that refers users to our site! We are contacting you because we want you to know that we have new image hosting with the site, which has MUCH faster loading time, so if you’d like a faster loading background, you can go to our site, and swap out your code for a new one! 
Thanks again for everything!
Ashley - TCBOTB

Leigh Ann said...

Oh, that is so exciting to have the Extreme Home Makeover in your area. That is so neat to see yourself on television. I hope they pick you for a volunteer. That would be an amazing experience. I would love to try that ice cream maker. I love homemade ice cream but it is SO much work. That maker is about my speed! Oh, and there is nothing like a clean closet, is there? Love it, love it, love it. Oh my word, that fish pedicure really made my stomach hurt. Gross! Who would have EVER come up with that! I am so glad Mark had a great trip and is home safe and sound. What great kids you have!

Meagan said...

I am so glad Mark mede it home safely! What a great thing he did and a wonderful experience!

The fish thingy - NO WAY! I have a hard enough time when my foot is brushed by a fish or something at the lake only one time! I couldn't deal with a bunch of tiny fish literally nibbling at my toes!

I am glad you posted about the ice cream machine! I have wanted to try one of those, but I wonder if the consistency is the same as from a traditional one with rock salt and ice?

Julie said...

I saw the fish pedicure on GMA yesterday. I thought it was really weird but everyone seemed to like it. I'm so glad the mission trip went well.

MiMi said...

I am so glad that Mark made it home safely and I know that he came home a changed person. What a wonderful opportunity!

I saw that fish pedicure on TV yesterday morning and I cannot even imagine! I can HARDLY stand for a person to touch my feet - much less fish nibbling on them!

I am curious as to how your ice cream freezer works. I have wanted one, too, but don't need any other "excuses" to eat ice cream! LOL