Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Few Ideas and Links

We've just had lots of regular summer days here lately. We've just been doing a lot of nothing really. Let's see...some of the ordinariness includes:

*Having dinner with my parents last night.


All the kids had their own things going, so Steve and I went over to my parents. My dad grilled steaks and we stayed over there till after 10:00 just sitting at the table talking!

*The kids playing games outside on the porch.



*Going to the farmer's market for some fresh corn and okra. I cut the corn off the cob and fried up the okra for dinner tonight. That was the hugest hit with my kids. They loved it! I ended up making a whole plate of food and giving it to Candy, too!


*Ashley has been working at our church's "Mother's Morning Out" and it is almost over. The teacher that she works with gave her these pretty flowers and they are now sitting on our kitchen table.


*Laura and Lindy got their senior pictures made yesterday...you know the ones where they wear the drape? I can't wait to see how they turned out!

Today I just thought I would share a couple of fun ideas and links that I have come across lately that really helped me and I thought maybe you might like, too!

1-First of all, I finally got hooked up to Google Reader and all I can say is....what took me so long?!


I had heard people talk about it and I was somewhat interested. But last week I finally did it and it is the hugest time saver!! I know many of you already have it or something like it, but if you don't, you might want to look into it. It is a list of all the blogs you read that pops up on Google so you can quickly see who has posted something new without having to click around to everyone's blog.

And it just so happens I have a really great link here that tells you all about it and how to do it!

2-Bible Memory Verses-I was talking with my little Bible Study/lunch group last week and we were thinking about how we all really wanted to commit more scripture to memory. That reminded me of how when my kids were little I wanted them to memorize scripture so they could hide God's word in their hearts. However, they weren't very motivated!


So, what's a mother to do? My solution: PAY THEM! And, yes, I realize it's bribery, but it worked! I paid them for each Bible verse they memorized!

When I was little, I learned 26 verses called the Bible Verse Alphabet. Each letter of the alphabet had a verse that went with it. For example:

"A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches and loving favor rather than silver or gold." -Proverbs 22:1

"Be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only." -James 1:22

"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me." -Psalm 51:10

"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." -Psalm 37:4

You get the idea...So, I made one of these for my kids and that's how they learned 26 verses of their own! But adults can do it too! :)

3-Babysitting! If you have small children (or will soon) and leave them with a babysitter from time to time...you might be interested in this link.


I love the blog "chatting at the sky". And yesterday Emily had some great ideas about what your babysitter wished you knew. If you are a mom (or mom-to-be), this could be eye-opening. I knew all the things she mentions were true because I've heard my girls talk about them many times!

So that's about it for today. I hope you're having a great week!


14 comments:

Meagan said...

Thanks for sharing the links and ideas!

Dinner looked SO good... I LOVE fried okra!

petrii said...

Thank you for the links. I need to check out the reader thingy (very techinal I know :0)

Yummy ~~ I love okra and corn ~~
Have a GREAT evening,
Dawn

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Betsy...if you're having trouble adding my blog to google reader (most people do) try this:
http://www.lifeat7000feet.com/feeds/posts/full

That babysitting link was interesting...very eye opening. Thank you for sharing.

MiMi said...

Some great links and great ideas! That fried okra looks good enough to eat in that picture! I LOVE fried okra! I actually love pretty much anything that is fried.

Can't wait to see Laura and Lindy's graduation pictures. I'm sure it's hard to believe that they could be having their senior portraits taken, isn't it? I know you must be very proud of them.

Becky said...

Girl, is that good ole sweet table on your momma's table? That's one way to cool off on a hot summer day! Yummo on the okra!! Alvin brought okra home yesterday and we are having fried okra tomorrow night and I can't wait!

Can't wait to see the girls Senior pictures. I know they will be gorgeous! And the flowers are beautiful, wish they were on my table.

Jacquie said...

I had put off getting on Google Reader, too, but just did it this week!! Love it! My RSS feeds were so delayed coming to my Live Mail.

Love your idea for scripture memorization. We used to put verses on index cards and leave them near my dash panel and we'd go down the road reciting verses. That worked for memorizing the Preamble to the Constitution, too!

I've been reading Emily's posts and love that she's working with the girls to find out what they need/like/expect, etc. in the babysitting world. Nice idea.

(Thanks Meredith for the tip on linking to your blog... I had trouble getting yours on reader.)

Caroline said...

oh betsy i have never heard of the alpha thing with scripture!!!! what a great idea!!!!!! i am sooooooooooooo doing this!!!! girl that fried okra has my name all over it. yum yum yum and that steak.......oh yum

Scrapper Mom said...

Well, I hope you will add me to your reader. Doesn't the reader limit you to who you add? I guess you have to just search if you want new ones? I've not done this yet, so I'm clueless.

When I started my blog last month, blogger had done something new where it includes the title of the post on your blog listing. That is how I know when people make new post. Every time I go to my site, I look at my blog roll and see if there is anything new.

Shannon said...

I think that Bible verse list is so cute. What did you do for the weird letters like x and z? Could you post all 26 verses? Maybe just the references? I love this idea!

Megan L Hutchings said...

What fabulous ideas! I am in love with the "Alphabet Verses!" I will be sure to try that with Vance as he gets older ;)!

That dinner sounded and looked FABULOUS!

I can't wait to see the girl's senior pics ;)! I loved doing mine!

Leigh Ann said...

Check my blog for a surprise. :)

Faith said...

The fried okra... oh.my.word my mouth is watering like crazy now!

Heather said...

That okra looks delicious! You are such a great mom- I love that ABC verse idea!

Nancy said...

Looks like yall are having a fun week. I love seeing your mom and dad on your blog!

Thanks for the info on google blog reader - I'm going to try it!