Sunday, June 29, 2008

What I Love About Sundays

In summer it seems that the weekdays just kind of flow into the weekends and everything runs together since EVERY day is like a weekend! I have to admit that during the school year, unfortunately, I am not a huge fan of Sundays. I really hate that, but the reality is that Sundays are always stressful to me because they are the last day of my weekend and I have so much to do to get ready for the next week. But during the summer I really love Sundays. I have lots of happy memories of Sundays growing up. I was thinking about all those things today and thought I would share a few.

Here are some of the things I love about Sundays:

*Singing hymns!


In the service I go to, we sing lots of contemporary songs, so when we DO sing a hymn, it moves something in my heart. There are many times at home when I just sit down at the piano and get out my old Baptist Hymnal and play one hymn after another. I think the lyrics have such profound theology and they always take me back in my heart and mind. I think, "This was my Dad's favorite song", or "I remember singing this at Two Rivers Baptist in Nashville", etc. I love that I'm joining my heart and my voice with other believers that have sung these songs for hundreds of years!

I have many, many hymns that I love. Some of my favorites are Blessed Assurance, In The Garden, Victory In Jesus, Fairest Lord Jesus, It Is Well With My Soul, He Keeps Me Singing, This Is My Father's World, How Great Thou Art, When I Survey The Wondrous Cross, The Lily of the Valley, and My Jesus I Love Thee!

*Sunday lunch!


I remember walking into the house after church on Sunday welcomed by the smell of a Sunday pot roast! Or at my grandmother's house, we always had homemade fried chicken, mashed potatoes, snapped beans, corn on the cob, sliced homegrown tomatoes, and green onions on a little side dish! There is nothing better than sitting down at the table with your family with a big Sunday spread!

Speaking of Sunday dinner, there is a wonderful book I have called A Return to Sunday Dinner by Russell Cronkhite.


This book is full of gorgeous pictures, family memories, and delicious recipes just like the ones I remember.

*Dressing in your Sunday best!


Do you remember when you would get all dressed up to go to church? Everything is so casual now. Lots of people even come to church in jeans (and really I'm okay with that! I know God doesn't care about your outward appearance, but your heart!) But when I was growing up, I remember my parents telling me that when you come to God's house, you bring Him your best! You would dress in your best to meet the President or the Queen of England, right? So why wouldn't you wear your best to meet God? So we always wore dresses, patent leather shoes, even gloves! I remember my mother putting Dippety-Do on my hair on Saturday nights and putting it in rollers so I would look cute for church the next day! I still like to dress up on Sundays!

*Sunday naps!


Mmmmmm....there is no better sleeping than a nap in front of a Sunday afternoon football game or out on the porch on a lazy summer afternoon! Something about Sunday just begs for a nap!

*Sunday nights at church!

When I was little we had Training Union on Sunday nights. It was like Sunday School, but more casual. And church on Sunday nights was always fun. We sang lots of great songs and at the end of the service we would link arms across the aisles and sing, "There's A Sweet, Sweet Spirit In This Place." Then after church we'd have a watermelon bust or homemade ice cream on the grounds,


or we would go to Shoney's with a big group of people. When I was a teenager, we would go play putt-putt or go bowling or over to a friend's house. Sunday nights were the BEST!

Sundays are so different now than they were back in the day. Every store and restaurant in town stays open just like any other day of the week, you can still buy alcohol, and life just goes right on. But I am thankful that God set aside this day to be different and worshipful. Even with the stress of the week pressing in on me, Sundays always help me get perspective and begin my week putting my focus where it needs to be! That's what I love about Sundays!

7 comments:

Kellie DeLange said...

I LOVE those good ol days of church too!! My mom used to put my hair in rollers every Sat night and I always wore a nice dress with white ruffle socks and shoes. I love to sing and play (on piano)hymns too!!! They are some of my favorite songs of all time. Thanks for your great reminder of how great Sunday (and church)really is!!

Jacquie said...

Our church does the joining hands and singing "There's a Sweet, Sweet Spirit", too! Love your list of Sunday favorites. My mom got out the Dippity-Do, too. We are blessed to have a Worship Leader that blends some contemporary songs with the old hymns... it makes for a great time of worship.

Thanks for the tip on the book - I'll check up on it.

Megan L Hutchings said...

What a warm and memory filled post! I am all about a Sunday...especially the ones that do not include much ;)!

I had no idea you played the piano! You are definitely a jack of many trades!!!

I am definitely going to check that book out ;).

MiMi said...

What a sweet, sweet trip down "Memory Lane" for me! I TOO miss the old hymns --I love the contemporary praise and worship, but there's just something about those old hymns. One of my favorites is "The Old Rugged Cross" because I can still remember as a little girl sitting on the piano bench next to my grandmother while she played that.

I could still remember the pot roast and fried chicken, too. I am going to have to check out that book. I LOVE cookbooks!

Oh, and I had those exact shoes and lacy socks I believe! But, we couldn't wear them until Easter! I had forgotten about the Dippity-Do! And don't forget the pin curls or sponge rollers!

And the Sunday afternoon naps...the BEST! We always made our kids go in their room and be quiet, even if they did not go to sleep! It was a rule in our house. I still take naps on Sunday!

Great post! Thanks for making me relive some fun times. (Sorry about the long comment.)
Emilie

Caroline said...

Oh Betsy, you just described what I love about sundays in every way! Just reading this made me tear up! Because I love the picture of church, family, rest, praise, food....all the things that He provides for us! The dress up, the roast, the hymns, the nap...that was never missed...that was my childhood! Good memories....i hope to be able to give that to my children! This was so beautiful and a picture of what we need to preserve for the future generations!

Leigh Ann said...

I LOVE THIS POST! First of all, I didn't know you could play piano. I admire that so much! Also, I miss singing more hymns in church as well as miss dressing up. Sometimes I feel overdressed, but I don't mind. I just feel better if I at least wear slacks or a skirt. I think you pretty much wrote what my Sundays were like growing up...gloves, pot roast, Training Union, Youth outings afterward. I have such fond memories of that. I hope by the time my kids get youth group age, things haven't changed too much!

Papa said...

You captured the feel and spirit of Sundays and the things we all love. There's nothing sweeter than sharing the whole Sunday experience with your family. Our family enjoyed and was blessed by experiences that will linger for a lifetime. You reminded me again how wonderful they were. As always, you are the best at telling the story. Thanks!

Papa