Monday, June 30, 2008

Lazy Day

Today was just a lazy day...I did some laundry and we planned a few things we want to do in Washington. We are leaving Wednesday! This afternoon Ashley and I went to the pool for a few hours and both of us read like crazy. I must be the slowest reader on earth. Part of my problem is that I fall asleep so easily when I read! So I can only get through about 3 pages before I am out like a light! Meanwhile, Ashley just started a book today and she is practically halfway through it!

Tonight we went to a church softball game. Ashley's boyfriend, John, plays on the same team as alot of the guys in our Sunday School class. And tonight they played the other team from our church, so everyone there was someone we knew!

After the game, we headed to Salsa's for some Mexican food. We saw our friends Wes and Katie there. They love that place as much as we do because we see them there all the time! When we got home, Steve's parents came over and taught us how to play Mexican Train Dominoes. That was alot of fun!



Okay...so I wanted to share two quick recipes with you. They are two completely opposite recipes, but both good, I promise!

The first one is probably more for people who really like green vegetables. I know alot of people are not huge fans of brussels sprouts. You might think of them as bitter, mushy little cabbage balls that you were forced to eat as a kid.


But, being the vegetable lover that I am, I thought this recipe sounded yummy, so I tried it. And it was really good! My girls liked it, too--we tried it for lunch one day. It's from the Katie Lee Joel cookbook.

Stir-Fried Brussels Sprouts

1 T. vegetable oil
1/2 c. chopped scallions, cut on the diagonal
1/2 t. peeled and grated fresh ginger
1/2 c. slivered almonds
1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
2/3 c. vegetable or low-sodium chicken stock
1 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. pepper

Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat in a wok or large skillet. Add the scallions, ginger, and almonds, and stir-fry until almonds begin to brown, 3-4 minutes. Add the stock and cook uncovered for about 6 minutes, or until the sprouts are tender and almost all the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then....Andes Mint Cookies! I got these from one of my favorite blog friends, Heather. They are literally "melt-in-your-mouth!" I got a craving for them the other night and made a whole big batch. They are probably the easiest cookies on earth to make, too!



Andes Mint Cookies (from heaven)

1 pkg. Devil's Food Cake Mix
1 pkg. Andes mints
2 eggs
1/2 C. oil

Mix cake mix, eggs, and oil together. Batter will be thick. Drop by teaspoonfuls on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 7-8 minutes. After cookies are removed from the oven, place one Andes mint on each cookie, allowing it to melt. Swirl lightly with a knife and let cool before storing in an air tight container.

9 comments:

Meag said...

Well girl - you gave me somehting to think about. I LOVE vegies, but I have never had a BS! Maybe I'll brave it... but I'm not sure yet. The cookies on the other hand - can you say YUMO!?! I could almost taste them through the screen! Fabulous!

I too LOVE to read, but sometimes I get so sleepy when I am reading! My afternoon read often turns into an afternoon nap! I am not a fast reader either! LOL!

Christal said...

Have fun in washington sounds like you are having an awesome summer!! I love! Good for you!! yum on the recipes gotta try them soon they look so good! Well have a great week happy fourth of july wow in washington no where better eh!! fun!
ttys

petrii said...

I love Mexican Train dominoes. I got started playing this game during the ice storm last year when we went w/o power for 5 days. And this game has been a keeper for us ~~ love it!!

MMMM Brussel sprouts ~~ I'm a veggie eater and this sounds terrific!!

Those cookies are a must try!! My son loves chocolate and cookies and together with a little mint I'll have to pace him ~~ thanks for sharing I'll be making this one too!!

Deidre said...

Oh my goodness - I HAVE to try those cookies. They sound wonderful! (Not so sure about the brussel sprout one though ;)

Lauren said...

I want to try both of these recipes! I love the Katie Lee Joel cookbook.

I hope you all have fun visiting Washington!

Lindsey said...

The cookies sound DELISH!!!! Yummy! Hope y'all have a great trip! Can't wait to see pics!

Megan L Hutchings said...

What a wonderful day!!! I am not a huge fan of BS, but I might branch out and try those ;)! I am DEFINITELY going to make those cookies...YUMMY!

I love reading about your relaxing, fun-filled summer days!!!

Faith said...

Oh my word...those cookies...it is not even right how good they look. I must try them soon!

Christal said...

Hey what did you use on top of the cookies in the picture it looks caramely so yummy??!!!