Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Before and After

I would consider myself a pretty determined person. If I get something on my mind that I want to do, I usually find a way to do it! Getting Ashley's bathroom finished was a project that has been on my mind for a long time and I reeeaaallllly wanted to get it finished today. So I got up this morning, started painting...and it's done! Yayyy!

I will tell you that I have painted alot of rooms and painting this bathroom was the messiest and hardest paint job I've ever done! So many little nooks and crannies and so much to tape up and paint around, etc. But everyone was gone today. Laura, Lindy, and Ashley all had babysitting jobs, and Mark was at his second home-the Y! So I got my computer and turned on my playlist on my blog (haha) and just had fun singing and painting! I can get so much more done when I'm by myself. I love it! And I was happy with how everything turned out. Here are the before and after pictures.

Here's before:




And here's after:






In between coats of paint I also watched the Today Show wedding with that precious couple that won. They were so sweet!



I fertilized my flowers with some Miracle Grow. These are some of the flowers on my porch.



I got to read some of my assigned summer reading, Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Piccoult. She is a really good writer and my girls have read all her books and love them, but that book is dark to me. I'm not really crazy about reading about Columbine type school shootings. No....not for me!

This afternoon I took a break and ate some lemon squares that Ashley made. Try the Krusteaz kind if you like lemon squares!! Yummy!

And I was so excited when I went to the mailbox and had two new Netflix movies. I love getting fun stuff in the mail! One of them is Amazing Grace. I am looking forward to seeing that. I've heard it's really good.

Tonight we met Steve's family for dinner then we stopped by their house so I could look at the project Steve and his brother, Mike, have been helping his parents with. He has been helping them build a wall around the natural area around their deck. It looked really good. They have such a beautiful deck. We always enjoy relaxing over there!




And I wanted to share a new recipe I tried yesterday out of my Katie Lee Joel cookbook that I got for my birthday.



Grilled Chipotle Three-Cheese Sandwich

One 7 oz. can chipolte peppers in adobo sauce (I like La Costena brand)
1/4 c. olive oil
12 slices Monterrey Jack cheese
12 slices Swiss cheese
12 slices Cheddar cheese
2 Roma tomatoes, sliced crosswise
1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
12 slices sourdough bread (thickly sliced if possible)
12 tablespoons butter, softened

Place the chipotle peppers and their sauce in a food processor or a blender and puree until smooth. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil.

Preheat a large heavy skillet to medium heat.

Spread each slice of bread with chipotle puree (1/2-1 tablespoon depending on how spicy you like it).
Layer half the bread slices with two slices of each cheese and a few slices of the tomatoes and onions. Top with the remaining bread slices, chipotle side down. Spread top and bottom of each sandwich with butter.

Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side. Slice sandwiches in half and eat immediately.


I made this for lunch yesterday and it was good. It was definitely different than a regular grilled cheese sandwich with just a fun, interesting twist. I love to cook and now I've got the time to try some new recipes, so I hope you don't mind me sharing them with you!

18 comments:

Meag said...

WOW! What a drastic change on your before and after pictures... I absolutely love it! You were some serious busy today!!!!

I am reading my frist Jodi Piccoult book right now called "Change of Heart" and it's great - I love books that pull me along. So far, so good and I'm 2/3 of the way through!

That sandwich sounds great! I have never been a sandwich person, but as I get older I enjoy them - especially hot ones! My mom got a panini press and I LOVE making hot sandwiches on it when I go down to visit my parents!

Sounds like a busy but great day! Hope tomorrow is just as productive and enjoyable!

Jacquie said...

The bathroom is beautiful and so different.

You'll love "Amazing Grace", it is good!

Funny you use your playlist to work to ... I turn mine on in the mornings when I get ready for work.

Leigh Ann said...

Wow! I LOVE the bathroom. You did an amazing job! I'm so impressed. I love the colors you went with. I can see why you like relaxing on that deck. It is beautiful. And, I would love for you to share the new recipes you try. I'm always up for trying something new!

Melissa said...

I LOVE the new bathroom!! It looks great! I'm the same way in when I get a project going, I just want to finish it. I just love summer for finishing those types of things :)

Deidre said...

The bathroom is gorgeous, Betsy - such a complete change. You did great.

I've heard Jodi those books are 'dark', so I haven't talked myself into reading one yet. Books profoundly affect me, so I'm a little cautious.

Sounds like you're having a busy summer.

Megan L Hutchings said...

You are so AMAZING! I absolutely love what you did with the bathroom!!! You should have your own show just to teach people about cooking, decorating, teaching, and being a fabulous mom!

I am so glad you had such a GREAT day!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Love the bathroom! It looks like a completely different room.

And yes, share your recipes! My family loves the Parma Rosa Chicken/Pasta recipe you shared, and we made stir-fry last night and I used the sauce you recommended, and they loved that too!

Robyn Beele said...

Thanks so much for the congrats! I am glad you found my blog and now I can add you to my list. I love reading about teachers! The bathroom looks so good! I watched the wedding on Good Morning America also. I cried like a baby!!

Faith said...

My, my, my! You have been busy! The bathroom looks great...what a transformation! And, that three cheese sandwich sounds un-be-lievable!

Jessica said...

That bathroom is galmorous! What a change (but I liked the bathroom the other way too!) Ha! Yes, summer is FLYING!!! Ahhhh....

The Garners said...

You've been busy!!! The bathroom turned out great--it looks so nice!

Kelly said...

The bathroom looks GREAT! It looks like you are having the best summer!!!

Christal said...

love the bathroom wow looks great!!! the sandwhich sounds so good reading a book and enjoying your beautiful flowers sounds fun too!! You are awesome so many fun projects and books to share!! You are a busy girl!! Love the quote in the bathroom too. Have a great day!

Jamie said...

The bathroom looks awesome!! I can get so much more done when I'm home alone. Sometimes when I have an afternoon or evening to my self I like to clean or organize.

I've been reading your blog for a few weeks and thought it was time I say 'Hey'. Found you thru Kellys Korner.

MiMi said...

You are amazing! You are not kidding that when you get something on your mind, you do it! The bathroom looks awesome! I cannot believe what a transformation. I bet Ashley loves it.
The recipe that you shared sounds like something that my husband would absolutely love. I will definitely have to give it a try.
Keep the recipes coming for those of us that don't have much time to experiment!

hautemommy said...

Wow, you are one productive woman!!! Good for you! :) I love your bathroom.. I am in the process of trying to re-do mine as well, but I am stuck in the designing phase and can't figure out what I want it to look like!!! :) PS. I have been hearing about that cookbook and that recipe looks delish! xo!

petrii said...

WOW your bsthroom looks GREAT!! OHH I love the Today show wedding series I've watched it every year. It's one of my fav things they do. Sounds like you are having a really fun summer!!

petrii said...

WOW your bsthroom looks GREAT!! OHH I love the Today show wedding series I've watched it every year. It's one of my fav things they do. Sounds like you are having a really fun summer!!