Monday, May 5, 2008

70 Years Young!

Today is my dad's 70th birthday!! Wow-when I was younger, 70 sounded soooo old. Now...not so much! haha Of course, 70 is the new 50, right?? I am so blessed to have my dad not only still around, but living close so that we can spend time together and enjoy these years! We just went to lunch together yesterday, in fact.

In case you don't know me very well, I am a preacher's daughter. So, for all of my growing up years, my dad was my pastor. Our churches were not small so I was known by lots of people and pretty much lived in a fishbowl. But, I loved it!!

Dad is such a great preacher. He is dynamic and God's hand is so evidently on him when he is delivering a message. I loved going to church every Sunday and hearing him preach. I even took tapes of his sermons with me when I went to college because I was going to miss him so much!! He has played such an important role in my spiritual growth and in the lives of so many of my friends!! Many of my friends were saved while he was our pastor and he baptized them, too. Steve got baptized by my dad before we even started dating! He has also married many of my friends and dedicated their babies and baptized their children! Of course, he married us and baptized our children, too!

But the best thing about my dad is that he is REAL. He is the kind of man who is a great listener and advisor. He's down to earth. My parents never enforced lots of rules growing up. It was just the major things like no drinking, no drugs, no sex. I could handle that!! Other than that they were very flexible and open. Nothing was rigid about the way they raised us. So, none of us were really rebellious at all!!

Dad is a great counselor and many people have made their way through the rough times in their life with his advice and guidance. He has so many friends and people love to be around him. He gives you his undivided attention. (He was student body president and captain of the baseball team in high school--that tells you the kind of popularity he has!)

He loves to read history, watch sports, and hang out with his family. He's a little bit of a work-aholic, but is always there for you. He loves to travel, eat Mexican food (which is funny since his birthday is on Cinco de Mayo!), and is now a prostate cancer survivor. And I am so blessed to have such a wonderful man as my example growing up!

Here are a few pictures of my dad!

Since my mom has most of my cute pictures of me sitting on Dad's lap when I was little, etc..., I just had to find this one of us on a trip to NYC back in the '80's!



Dad with Ashley at her 2 year old birthday party picnic!



Holding Mark right after we brought him home from the hospital.



I know this one's blurry, but it's still so cute. Dad with Laura and Lindy.



And here he is with the some of the grandkids at family game night on New Years Eve a few years ago.



Dad and Mom with all my kids this past Christmas



Happy Birthday Dad!! :)

4 comments:

Megan L Hutchings said...

That is so sweet!!!!!!!

Christal said...

What a beautiful tribute to your dad!! Happy Birthday to your dad what a sweet fun beautiful family you have!!

Patti's Chat said...

Hard to believe he's 70! He looks great!

Faith said...

Hey Betsy! Thank you for stopping by my blog. What a small world, I live in Charlotte too! How funny!
Happy Birthday to your dad!