Monday, April 28, 2008

Recipes and Projects

The weather has been crazy here today. It has rained all day and we even had a tornado drill at school today! Do you remember those? All the kids have to get in the hall and ball up with their hands covering their heads and their little behinds up in the air. They had to stay that way for about 10 minutes!

This weekend I spent some time looking through my new cookbooks and I found a couple of recipes that look yummy. The one that really piqued my interest first was in The Comfort Table and it was for fried green tomatoes!! Oh my goodness...tomatoes in the summer are THE BEST. But sometimes it's hard to wait for them to ripen. So, this recipe will help whet your appetite!

Fried Green Tomatoes

1 c. cornmeal
1 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 t. onion powder
1 1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. vegetable oil
4 large green tomatoes (like beefsteak, Big Boy, or Celebrity), sliced 1/2 inch thick.

In a medium shallow bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Fill a small shallow bowl with buttermilk. Place the bowls side by side next to the stove.

Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat. The oil should be hot but not smoking.

Dip the tomatoes in buttermilk and dredge in cornmeal mixture. Fry the tomatoes in batches if necessary, until the crust is golden brown and crunchy, 4-5 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Transfer the tomatoes to a serving plate.


And there, you've got summertime on a plate!!



I love that in just a few weeks I am going to have lots more time to try new recipes and get little projects done around the house. I did get my closet cleaned out over the weekend, though!! I took two huge bags of clothes to Goodwill!

One project I'm looking at is painting Ashley's bathroom and changing her bedroom. Right now Ashley's bathroom is done in a very teenage-y version of blue and yellow with a daisy shower curtain. You should see the color of her walls...pool water blue! I think it's about time we changed that considering that Ashley is only with us for a few months out of the year. I think she's pretty much outgrown those colors anyway. As soon as school is out, we're going to get busy!

1 comment:

Caroline said...

yyyyyyyyuuuuuummmmmmmmmm
yum
yum
yum
i saw a good one in my southern living yesterday.oh i will have to try and make these over mothers day weekend!!!!!